Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The house in Dublin, they clearly splashed the cash but it felt cold to me, too many patterns, some of the wallpaper was genuinely shocking.

The Galway one...just not too my taste at all but definitely made it their own it felt insanely busy and dark to me, cluttered. A 7 seemed pretty harsh though.

The house in Belfast...I thought it was lovely and a really cosy family home. Shocked at Hugh giving it a 10! So were the other judges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Wasn't too far off but it was house number 3 that was the massive house with money thrown at it 🤣

House 1: There was something about it that just didn't seem right. I think Amanda was right when she said the kitchen was too heavy. Don't think I'd put a modern contemporary kitchen in it but the wood was very dark.

House 2: nope , I can handle clutter but that house was dizzy. The bathroom walls!!

House 3: the most impersonal house I've ever seen. It reminded me of a house a corporate company would lease for entertaining. Views absolutely gorgeous but too "cold". I'd love the house but I'd need it to be more of a home than a building.

Only caught the last house and I quite liked the timber inside but overall...meh.

It was far too soulless for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus I absolutely loved the Down house

It was gorgeous, but didn't scream family home.

There has to be a balance I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ah god ya def didn’t feel like a family home at all. Like the person above said - It screams company rental to a CEO while over here type place

That was me that said company rental 🤣🤣😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I loved the house in Co Down.... so stylish and unique, and as for the views.. WOW.

I agree it didn't really come acoss as a family home but I suppose anything anyway personal has to be removed or hidden for when the judges call. But throw in a few schoolbags and an overflowing washing basket and pots of jam on the island and maybe a cat sprawled out on that green couch and I think I'd find it homely enough, ... if you twisted my arm 😄.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The first house was nice, wasn't crazy about the kitchen, with the dark ceiling, units and floor it felt a bit like a cave. I did like lots of the original elements that were left inside though.

Hated the second house. Another cluttery dust catcher. And no to the bath in the bedroom. Grand if you've got a big master suite, but what about when you have to bath the kids?

Third house was an architects wet dream. But completely devoid of any character. I liked the views out to sea but that was all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The first two houses had the usual cluttered interiors - why do people feel compelled to fill the house with tasteless knick knacks ?

The house in Co Down was an attempt at minimalism. I'd have to question the overall grey and brown theme - a bit like ' blue and green should nare be seen ' ? The stained softwood looked a bit cheapo cheapo to me - a hardwood like cherry would have been far nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

I like the first house last night. It was cosy comfortable and had character. The style of decor is timeless. I could happily live there. The only thing I didnt like was the bedroom off the sitting room - odd place to have a door to a bedroom.

Second house I hated. I hated the triangular squashed kitchen. I cant see how it works as a kitchen at all. I didnt like the bath in the bedroom either. It could be a really nice house though if they toned down the clashing colours and cleared out some of the clutter.

The third house I liked but I couldnt live there - too many hard surfaces for me. It would be great as a holiday home - but I would be happy to leave after a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

So did I. The look of it from outside was absolutely amazing.

I nearly cried when I seen that bathroom! That would be my dream bathroom + that's before I even seen the views. To die for!

I'd never be able to work from home if I lived in that house I'd just spend all day looking out to sea in living area of bedroom.

On reflection it probably had too much wood overall for my liking in house like but sure I'd slum it living there if I had to🤣.

Some peoples "tasteless knick knacks" are precious memories or heirlooms though. I'd have a few bits that wouldn't be considered stylish or in vogue at the moment, but have been gifted to me by members of my family that are no longer alive. I'd be gutted if somebody called them tasteless because I had them on display!

That said, I have no issue with some nice photo frames and some ornaments that give an idea of the owners personality, but some homeowners feel compelled to put something on every inch of every surface and it becomes overwhelming and takes away from the house itself. Even still I wouldn't call them tasteless, more they just don't know where to stop.

Don't get why 1st house is even on the programme.

Just a working farmhouse, nothing special at all about it.

The kitchen was awful, although I didn't agree with Amanda about contemporary kitchen, definitely wouldn't have worked in this house. However they had some units painted cream so if all finished like this would have looked much better but it was so dark with no light.

Hugh adored the couch, I would have put it in a skip the state of it, similarly not a fan of shabby chic, just paint those kitchen chairs.

I totally get it's a working farmhouse, yep serves its purpose and works as family home but not as a house on Home of the Year.

P.S Maybe the problem is me as a Dub will just never get country chic!

It's on the show because the owner is an interior designer - they all seem to be connected in some way or other.

I loved the couch! It looked so comfortable.

I'm originally from Dublin and I love that vintage, slightly shabby look. I'd take it over minimalist any day. It's possibly age related with me though!

• Advertisement

Im a country girl and I would consider the 1st house a proper home. Its wasnt perfect but its a good family home.

In my view the 3rd house is an architect trying to get an award - its not a home its a showpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The most pompous, out of touch, upper class program that has ever been broadcast on television.

I'm not sure who's worse, the 3 who get a rash if they drive by Lidl or the people who actually enter to win "home of the year".

A home is a home is how someone makes it. There's no guide on how to have the best home, everyone's is different to their own tastes and liking.

"oh this home just hasn't got the right blends"

"This layout really brings the home together"

The pure and utter scutter that comes out of their mouths. 🤢🤮

Oh I'm not disputing that it worked well as family home, its just that there is nothing different about in my opinion that merits it being on the show.

Homes like that are ten a penny in rural areas.

As mentioned previously it was a interior designers home.

It's hard not to be cynical that paths haven't crossed previously.

That said I don't know how big the "pool of interior designers" in Ireland is , or how regulated the industry is.

I liked all 3 houses. Very little not to like in all 3 so basically "not picking"

House 1 personally would have toned down all the Indian bits and pieces, there was in my opinion too many, but it's her heritage so. The kitchen reminded me of the "Howth house on room to improve" with the spine of storage acting as a wall.

House 2 was lovely, I didn't like the kitchen island having open shelving where the seats were ....people's feet in your pots and bowls no thanks.

House 3 was my favourite. There was something funny with the spiral stairs in the middle of the room...I think the chair at the foot of them made it too bulky. I would have preferred the terrace at the other end of the extension looking out to sea but it also makes sense to have it at the back to shelter from Atlantic winds and privacy. However it was very much a home a complete contrast to house 3 last week and both making the most of amazing views.

• Advertisement

I thought the first 2 houses last night were very ordinary - nothing special or different about them at all.

The third house I liked but didnt have house envy on it either. It was the best of the 3 last night. I agreed with the judges that the extension wasnt laid out great. Also I felt there was something cold and dismal about the extension - the views were fab though.

The standard of houses doesnt seem to be great this year.

I agree Deece, have no idea whatsoever why first 2 houses were on it at all. Don't get me wrong both nice family homes but basically same houses that any of us have/can have really.

I loved the 3rd house. Just thought it was very quirky and loved the old + new parts.

i surprised myself because personally an old cottage like that wouldn't be for me but just something very cosy about it + extension was also quirky and different.

Bit of an underwhelming episode tbh.

Ist house was nice, although aesthetically from the outside it looked a bit odd, a teeny cottage with a double height wedge on the back. I quite liked the wall colours, although don't think I'd be brave enough to do them myself. I personally hate galley kitchens and if I was extending or developing a house I wouldn't have one.

2nd house was very boring I thought. I've been in nicer semi-ds and for once I agreed with Amanda, I would have preferred the kitchen to be straight ahead from the front door to give a view out to the back.

3rd house was nice, I love exposed stone walls although I always wonder about insulation and heating. I'm sure it was lovely when they were there with the fire blazing though. I thought the extension was nice and the views were spectacular, I loved the terrace out from the kitchen.

The right house won although I'm surprised Hugh gave it a 10, I didn't think it was worth that score.

This show doesn’t nothing for me anymore!

Although I did like the last house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭jos28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Me too, anyone know where in Dublin City it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Didn't like the inside of the first house although I loved the outside front, back and exterior. I just thought inside it was too mixed up, too many different styles that didn't work well together.

Loved the second house - I liked that it looked quite nice but still felt lived in. I did feel their "style" of house (seaside Hamptons) was very strong in one bedroom.

Third house wasn't to my taste, personally I like a bit more colour and softness. Liked the kitchen and patio though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I think the show needs a name change to Interior Designers' Home of the Year. Too many of the homeowners this year are professional interior designers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

The second house deserved to go through to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭jos28

Definitely, it was fabulous. They should be very proud of what they have achieved. I'd happily sit in that kitchen for hours

The right house went through to the final in this week's episode. Really liked the second house and what the couple did to renovate the farmhouse. You could tell the house is well lived in and used. Liked the kitchen, I'd say it's a busy spot and very much the heart of the home.

Wasn't mad about the first house - it was nice but looked a bit too much like a show house - it seemed to lack a bit of personality and colour IMO.

Wasn't mad about the last house either. While the homeowners certainly had their style, it wasn't to my taste and personally I thought it was overdone or trying too hard to be different.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The first house was undeniably stunning but it’s just yet another mansion that had megabucks thrown at it for architectural and interior design, where’s the creativity and ingenuity?

So far I’m loving the second house.

Second house is lovely, a great transformation from a shop to a homely home.

Third house is lovely too.

It’s smashing, I absolutely love it. Hope it wins tonight 🤞🏻

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Great to see the third house win.

🙈🙉🙊

Great to see a normal type house that 's been a great conversion with such a lot of clever storage go through rather than some of the big money no object homes that look like commercial rentals.

Really didn't like the first house last night. IMO it had no personality. It was a large bland showhouse without a thread out of place. You couldn't even tell there was a child in the house until they showed a girl's bedroom. I liked the light fitting above the dining table and the way the paintings were recessed into the wall along the stairs. But that was it.

Second house I really liked, it was lived in, great to see a conversion of a commercial into a residential and it was well done. Loved the front door, the colour of the kitchen. Only thing was I felt the kitchen island was a little too big and quite close to the entrance door.

Loved the final house and a well deserving finalist. Fantastic job done by this young woman and her father. Great use of space, loved the detail on the stairs and how that was carried on through in the house. Great storage ideas, lovely finishes and details in the house. You could tell the house really works for the home owner.

The final next week!!

• Advertisement

Not really sure why I watch the final.

It's basically a competition on how many adjectives can they fit into each sentence when describing one item of each house!

Nice that a house that was a "home" won but really lost the will to live during that episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The show feels like it needs to be revamped. Having some mansion with a value near to a million up against a cottage which looks like it had a fairly modest budget is a bit silly.

Not a big fan of Amanda or Sara either

So glad that house won. As Princess Calla said - a house that was a home. Such a lovely young couple, a real family home, lived in, utilised, not a showhouse.

Of the top 3 - I don't remember that big house at all and I wasn't a fan of the city centre house because there wasn't much colour for me.

I couldn't understand when they were eliminating why they put through the Dublin city centre home over last weeks one from Cork. The Dublin house was cold, clinical and barely looked lived in. The Cork city house had far more innovation and creativity and the roof terrace was just lovely.

I did like the winning house as it was an actual home. The big modern Down home did nothing for me, it had nice views but hard to see any personality in it even though it looked like they threw mega money into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I lived in a house in Cork which very similar to the Cork one (pre-renovation) and what she did was superb. Her house and the one that won were my favourite two

I agree, Cork house was robbed. Knocked out far too early in the final imo

ETA perhaps it was knocked out as it was too close in concept to last year’s winners, the Worker’s Cottage- a small space maximised (fwiw while I liked the Worker’s Cottage I thought the Cork house was much nicer)

• Advertisement

Hi, I was thinking the same re the Cork house being similar to last years winner. It was by far my favourite (the Cork one). I think the decision process was totally staged - the ‘over my dead body’ comment by Amanda was totally fake

Yeah I think Amanda and Saras comments over this series seems very rehearsed. Its like they are reading from a script.

Hugh seems to say exactly what he thinks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

They are definitely working from scripts and they wouldn't win any Oscars for their performances either. It feels false and staged, what's wrong with spontaneity in their reactions?

I agree that the Cork house should have one.

Presume the 7.30 episodes on Sunday evenings are repeats; at prime time RTÉ can do no better.. wonder what I am paying my license fee for…

Just watching a repeat I hadn't seen with the upside-down house from co. Down. Absolutely loved it. This is obviously the wrong place for asking, but anyone have any idea how much it would cost to build that today?

Maybe I'll sell my Dublin semi-d :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement