Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home of the Year RTE 1 - 8.30pm Tuesdays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The show feels like it needs to be revamped. Having some mansion with a value near to a million up against a cottage which looks like it had a fairly modest budget is a bit silly.

Not a big fan of Amanda or Sara either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

So glad that house won. As Princess Calla said - a house that was a home. Such a lovely young couple, a real family home, lived in, utilised, not a showhouse.

Of the top 3 - I don't remember that big house at all and I wasn't a fan of the city centre house because there wasn't much colour for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I couldn't understand when they were eliminating why they put through the Dublin city centre home over last weeks one from Cork. The Dublin house was cold, clinical and barely looked lived in. The Cork city house had far more innovation and creativity and the roof terrace was just lovely.

I did like the winning house as it was an actual home. The big modern Down home did nothing for me, it had nice views but hard to see any personality in it even though it looked like they threw mega money into it.

I lived in a house in Cork which very similar to the Cork one (pre-renovation) and what she did was superb. Her house and the one that won were my favourite two

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I agree, Cork house was robbed. Knocked out far too early in the final imo

ETA perhaps it was knocked out as it was too close in concept to last year’s winners, the Worker’s Cottage- a small space maximised (fwiw while I liked the Worker’s Cottage I thought the Cork house was much nicer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Hi, I was thinking the same re the Cork house being similar to last years winner. It was by far my favourite (the Cork one). I think the decision process was totally staged - the ‘over my dead body’ comment by Amanda was totally fake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yeah I think Amanda and Saras comments over this series seems very rehearsed. Its like they are reading from a script.

Hugh seems to say exactly what he thinks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

They are definitely working from scripts and they wouldn't win any Oscars for their performances either. It feels false and staged, what's wrong with spontaneity in their reactions?

I agree that the Cork house should have one.

Presume the 7.30 episodes on Sunday evenings are repeats; at prime time RTÉ can do no better.. wonder what I am paying my license fee for…

• Just watching a repeat I hadn't seen with the upside-down house from co. Down. Absolutely loved it. This is obviously the wrong place for asking, but anyone have any idea how much it would cost to build that today?

Maybe I'll sell my Dublin semi-d :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

This returns on Tuesday!

Loved the first house. Anyone know where in South Co Dublin it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 villamaria

It’s in Stillorgan, loved it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

All nice houses. Why can't people stick to one theme and carry it through the house ? That pantry in the first house would give me migraine - as Amanda said it would have been better in plain white. And who said that the TV set should be two meters up the wall in a noisy kitchen/ living room. ? Form follows function folks !!

All last nights houses were good. Im glad to see that home of the year is back showing unusual houses. Last years standard was very poor. Lets hope the high standard of last night is kept up through the series.

Agreed - I didn't like the pantry. the background was too noisy - you couldn't actually see the products on the shelves. But it was a good size.

I thought the right house got through.

I felt the thatch cottage was a bit too try hard, it didn't do it for me.

Don't understand this obsession with red galvanize roofs. Yes, the countryside is dotted with rusty red haysheds but that was because the choice was either red or green oxide paint. That ' candy red ' modern house is just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Like most reality shows, all you need to get on HOTY these days is an Instagram account showing your renovation "journey" and you'll prob get a call from the producers, I doubt anyone actually applies anymore.

Mind you, at least the Insta house from episode one was actually really nicely put together. The faux-diddly-eye cottage and the barn should never have gotten near the show.

They keep doing these random closeups of Sara Cosgrove smiling. I dunno why but I find it very jarring

Also, the house that won this week and last week are just like variations of each other, nice houses but I much preferred the 2 cottages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm getting sick of seeing shed/warehouse style houses. Interior was nice though.

I liked the first cottage it was very personal and unique.

Winning house lovely, pretty much built a second house onto it.....wonder when that planning permission was approved. I liked the kids room everything else was interior design Pinterest , no personality.

Yes the cottage had some personality - they put everything into it. The colour pink is making a comeback - personally I absolutely hate it. When did you ever see Pink in nature ? A lot of these houses are young couples starting out. I note they all put the TV in the living room - great until the kids are growing up. Every house should have an adult TV room as well.

I really liked the first house - the cottage in Galway - it felt like there was personality in it, that a lot of the homeowners' own thought and work went into it. The other two houses were like they were off pintrest. I did like the open plan living area in the Northern house, to me I think it would really work with their family and the views were amazing. To me it didn't need to be "zoned" as one of the judges said - it worked well as a large family room. However the last house I didn't like the open plan kitchen area - I felt it was actually too big, there was the big open unoccupied space in the middle of the room. Also didn't like the cupboards above the sink at head height.

I liked the first cottage - the owners worked hard and had some unique ideas. Although I liked it, I couldnt live in it. I think its fine for them as a couple but wouldnt work for a family.

The second house I hated. I felt it had a cold look to it - nothing cosy. The decor wasnt to my taste and didnt do the house justice.

I loved the 3rd house - its a great family home. Didnt like the snug or hall area but they done a great job making a small home into a large family home. I would say it cost a fortune to renovate.

The last two were an attempts at minimalism - but It's very hard to pull off and probably impossible with children. I suspect men like it more than women. Just sayin'. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Hugh on about the Kilkeeny house with the view of the forestry and valley.

I dunno what Hugh knows about forestry but coniferous spruce and pine will not "turn yellow in the fall". Daft bollox

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Even calling it “Fall”.. fcuk right off Hugh, ya spoofer. I quite liked that first house.

This second one in Belfast is immaculate but can’t warm to it for some reason.

I was speaking to an architect at a wedding who had a house on the show pre Covid.

He said that a load of furniture was hired for the day and a lot of the home owners furniture was flecked into a spare room. He said it was good exposure for his company but the judging was largely meaningless, what you see on TV doesn't reflect the actual house.

Bit like Room To Improve where they had to hire furniture so the house looked furnished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mattser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I loved Hugh in the first house mind.

Amanda "They've put obstructions in the way of the view"

Hugh "Thats a dining table and chairs, you can sit there and look at the view".

Advertisement