Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Some of the gems on the FB group comments:

"the people behind the plans for cycle lane for fairview should be ashamed, many other shop business will close"

"The green party with their cycle lanes and traffic restrictions causing problems everywhere"

"So sad that you are closing down, thanks to that inane traffic plan 🤨!"

"How sad to hear this news Damien. ThisC bicycle lane Wii do a lot of damage in Fairview" (sic x 2)

"Is that because of the road works?" Damien: "Absolutely"

I don't know how businesses survive in Fairview as no where really to park, this will finish a lot of shops.

"Top man Damian sorry to hear the news , maybe become a bike shop for all the new cycle lane users , well done to the Greens/ Ryan Sad day for small family businesses"

Sad to see grown adults adopting such simplistic childish thinking and collectively refusing to apply a modicum of basic rational thought to a situation. If they bothered to do that they would come to the most obvious conclusion that the business has most likely been struggling for some time and the cycle lane is just an obvious scapegoat.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm taking it for granted that the vast majority of those that addressed Mr. Jeweller by his first name did so because it was on his FB profile and not because they actually gave him any custom over the years!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sounds exactly like the kind of driving trip to discourage. The poor dears can get a bus - there is no shortage of them going up that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's mad. Fairview has a 6 lane road, tonnes of empty legal parking and free illegal parking with cars all over the footpaths. How much more space will it take to satiate their demands? Was their business model depending on the current set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Maybe he would have some semblance of a point if he was selling fridges, but a jewellers is definitely the kind of business that people go to/from by bike or bus.

• Advertisement

Looking there at one FB group, I note the usual line about homeless and people living in hotels while vast sums are being thrown towards this project. It's depressing that people don't want to actually read past a headline anymore.

Same people would never accept a homeless shelter being built beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Not one person seemed to question why so many will continue to drive despite these restrictions and the so-called inevitable gridlock. A huge amount of that traffic is people choosing to drive into town rather than those who need to (builders, delivery drivers etc) and hence in theory the traffic volumes should reduce significantly pretty quickly. It will be interesting to see if that's what actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Lady told me one day that the roads are for cars and not for bikes. She was deadly serious.

When you think about it, it’s hard to fathom that level of ignorance. I don't mean that to be insulting to the particular lady (and I know it does sound insulting), but I find it really incredible how low some people’s knowledge is on basic rules of the road or even human consideration.

Coming from that starting point, there’s very little to be gained debating about things like junction layouts, vulnerable road users, long term planning etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The poor greens are going to get destroyed in the next election for stuff they didn't do or have any control over.

Driver posts video of himself breaking the law so he can complain about proposed works (requiring the spending of "hundreds of millions") in Fairview...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

One thing I've found with these new bike lanes (coming back from Howth for example) is that one is noticeably stuck behind slower bikes (like kids going to school while checking their phones), which means that to overtake we need to move out into the "car lane" while negotiating the bollards.

I'm not complaining about this particularly, but I fear that cars will do more punishment passes of bikes that have to move into "their lane" in order to overtake these slower bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

That's the problem with the one lane either side of the road cycle lanes. The clontarf/fairview one will be double lane (like the seafront one further up the road), so you should be able to overtake in a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Similarly I'd ordinarily be quite comfortable with cycling 2 abreast but find myself going single file along these stretches while cycling with a mate as I think it now creates more of an expectation of people cycling inside the bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

i use the Howth cycle lanes daily, and I understand the positives, most notably that of empowering children to cycle to school.

but I feel that the design of ‘temporary’ cycle lanes bring too many negatives. They’re ugly for a start and the prevention of street sweeping and damage to the bollards from cars exacerbates this (11 and counting). I don’t mind passing slower cyclists as they move but a lot of cars are parking inside the barriers. That’s a dead stop to joining the traffic lane situation. You have to ride in the gutter, so potholes and puddles become hazards you must traverse rather than drive around. Also the double bike trailer won’t fit in the lane so I can’t use that anymore. However I think that the worst thing about them is that the can distract drivers joining from driveways and side streets. There’s too much reflection that mimics bike lights, I feel that while driving, and certainly I have had more cars pull out in front of me on the bike since the bollards were introduced. Would have far preferred a raised kerb lane ala Frascatti rd as I think it’s just a better solution overall.

I don't think this is the case. They are single lane each direction, but probably wider than current ones with wands.

It started off being "billions", then shrank to "hundreds of millions" a couple of seconds later.

Also, you've got to love the sheer entitlement seeded into - " I used to have 2 lanes....." What, All for your good self ? 😂

Isn't that white van taking an illegal right turn from that junction as well?

• Advertisement

I'd love if we had billion euro cycling infrastructure. 😂

According to Google Streetview it's no right turn from 7-10am Mon-Sat. Don't think he mentions the time in the video, so maybe legal, maybe not.

I wasn't sure if the sign meant no right turn at any time, except for buses between 7 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ARX

I'd have replied that roads are for men, not for women.

(Well, in my head I would - in reality I'd have thought of that reply 20 minutes later: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27esprit_de_l%27escalier)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Haha! You are right that it was a very tough line to respond to. I was so flummoxed I was gobsmacked and just gave up! She ‘won’ the debate 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The most annoying part to me is they all completely ignored the 4 years between when this was announced, in the planning permission phase, open to consultation, and waited until right before construction started to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ah now you don't expect people to do their own research or read beyond an incendiary headline do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mother of God. This is the dumbest tweet ever, and coming from a f**king doctor. Incidentally my partner is an ICU doctor and cycles to work, she'll be on this route all the time.

Make the road bigger... give me strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Jack Lambert is well known for enjoying a bit of contrary comment.

Advertisement