Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Not sure where you live but Fingal bought a large amount of Sheffield stands a year or two ago and were asking people for feedback where to put them. So they are all over Swords Main St now, but none at all in places where you'd like to see them. There was a couple in Rivervalley for a while, which was brilliant, but they vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Correct, there's a few bits of wetland and protected areas along the way that need thinking about.

Same reason why they didn't extend it back towards Swords (the wetland at the back of Caves Strand is environmentally sensitive).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ultimately these type of cycle lanes are not designed primarily to accommodate cyclists on road bikes travelling at speeds in excess of 25km/h. There are plenty of roads without cycle lanes where you can tip along as fast as you like.

That then makes them pointless to a large extent. Of course there are plenty of roads without cycle tracks but one of the main purposes of cycle tracks is to get cyclists off the road and to do that, they should be fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 osiri

That then makes them pointless to a large extent. Of course there are plenty of roads without cycle tracks but one of the main purposes of cycle tracks is to get cyclists off the road and to do that, they should be fit for purpose.

I have to disagree. The purpose is not to get cyclists off the road. The purpose is to get more people to cycle. People who would not be confident enough to cycle on the road, and who would be cycling relatively slowly, between 10-15km/h. For example parents with toddlers in bike seats, children cycling to school, elderly people and just regular people who want to get from A to B comfortably without having to deal with cars, buses and trucks passing them out constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes there's a lot of the new bollarded lanes should have been fully resurfaced prior to the bollards going in.

The bollards in Baldoyle are also in a state of disrepair despite them only in a number of months, there's at least 20 of them destroyed, mostly the important yellow bollards indicating the start of the cycle lane and they are now an open goldmine for anyone seeking a personal injury claim if they collide with a damaged one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While I would somewhat agree, a huge effort needs to go into people commuting by bike and doing other short trips. There is still far too much focus on the like of Greenways where the idea is that cycling is more a leisure hobby than a means of transport. You won't get commuters using a shared track with pedestrians all over it and trees bizarrely changing from side to side making you swerve everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

These ones near me in Coolock. Absolutely ridiculous, I've never seen a bike parked there and they're of absolutely no use to anyone, just randomly installed there. Must be to waste some budget on active travel or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They’ve similar on the corner of Kilmore road and the Malahide road there near the Goblet

Never once seen a bike parked at them, they’re a few hundred metres away from the bus stops, and the wrong end of the road from where all the shops etc are. And they’ve placed them all lengthways despite the path being really wide there

Yes also at the little roundabout beside the entrance to Artane Castle. Who would ever park there when it's so far from the entrance to shops etc?

Who signs off on this sh*t?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The ones at the roundabout used to be the only place to leave a bike at the castle for a while, they’ve only recently put sheffield stands outside the entrance.

Had to have been some sort of active travel budget to burn in terms of cycling infrastructure in the area, because within a 2-3km radius of D5 I genuinely can’t think of a single bit of cycling infrastructure that’s been put in place the last 3-4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

they prob assumed the kids or parents would park there when taking the kids into the playground.

But obviously if any kids did actually cycle there, they'd just drop the bike on the grass :)

I could take either the Howth or Malahide Rd to town from where I live, you're right absolutely nothing has been done on either route as far as Fairview or so, or in any of the areas in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

First business casualty of the new cycle path. Closing in May

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm confused, I thought the cycle track hadn't opened yet? The downturn in business from the mere suggestion of parking being removed was enough to close down the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭LeoD

Urban cycle infrastructure should be designed to cater for cycle speeds 20kph(min) to 30kph(max). In general, a bicycle becomes unstable under 12kph. Children aged 7-8 can easily cycle >15kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

He's posting on the local Clontarf and Raheny groups and claiming in the comments that it's because of the road works. Just wondering- how long are the roadworks there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That was quick considering the work only started 2 days ago.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I'd imagine his business might only be average, and he's getting out before the downturn that he's expecting makes it worse for him. It's a pity, as when the project is finished, the area will be far more welcoming than it has been for the past number of years.

Today is only the first day of the lane reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

They started this week!

I saw it on the Raheny page this morning alright. He's been extremely vocal against the cycle lane for years and presents his opposition as reasonable but in reality just wants the status quo.

It reminds me of the franchise coffee shop in Kilmainham that blamed the new cycle lane for laying off loads of staff - turned out the owner had a new independent coffee shop down the road that took loads of the business!

• Advertisement

The section from Alfie Byrne road to edges corner is due to be finished early next year. Then the section from Edges on towards town is being done after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A shop like that isn't going to survive on local business alone, needs to be pulling from a wider 'hinterland' ... he probably has a fair idea of where his customers are coming from and a lot of them won't be coming in from further afield from quite some time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This project is a very small taste of what will.happen when bus connects goes to construction. The moaning will be deafening. Can you imagine when Rathmines village and old cabra Road get closed off to through cars.

He says a lot of his customers travel across the city during morning rush hour to drop stuff into him, and then cross over again in evening rush hour to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Wow, that's some serious business-wrecking power cycle lanes have right there - that they can wreck an otherwise viable business a day or two after cones have been laid out for the initial roadworks. I wonder how the roadwork cones for a cycle lane differ from roadwork cones for regular stuff, like for example- Irish Water doing some pipework, or a broadband company laying some new fiber optic cables over a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Well the cones in Fairview are also water pipework cones as a major water upgrade is happening at the same time. Maybe that gives the cones super-duper, impossible to resist, powered up PacMan business-wrecking power?

One guy is suggesting people just remove the cones.

who in their right mind thinks they can drive to Fairview and get parking outside any of the businesses there anyway? good riddance to the prick, I'm sick of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Why not? There's loads of parking in the area. The traffic isn't too bad outside of the morning and evening rush hours. A jeweller shop isn't a daily browse type of outing. This dude had his mind made up long ago, I'd say. It's a good little place to go and get a watch battery changed or the like, but not exactly a thriving business. I'm sorry he feels the way he does about the bike lanes, but I think he's wrong about how they will affect his business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yeah and they had some cones out along that way yesterday evening as well. Traffic has been mental all day. It's going to be a pain for us locals for a while but long term will be worth it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement