Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ARX

At least when they bring in the mandatory number plates and tax discs for cyclists, we'll know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That "cycle lane" going uphill at Northstrand is a complete disaster, cars, vans and trucks etc. all looking for space or driving out of the gate halfway up, plus all the pedestrians and at the top you've to cross a small road too... the design of that little uphill road hasn't changed in 50+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buses love to try and squeeze past you just to pull in at the stop in front of the flats right after it too, if you don’t take the full lane. There’s almost always a car or van parked outside the pharmacy, which means you’ll have people walking in they lane.

It’s also the one part of the C2CC project that isn’t getting a redesign in terms of the lane will be in the same spot behind the wall, and a gap for cars to pull in, so if anything it’ll probably be worse since you’ll have to take it unless you move out of the segregated cycle lane into the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just to add to that, on your way past the fire station the road gets quite narrow and the surface is fairly broken up too, and at the next bus stop you sometimes get delivery trucks/vans parked up there.... absolute carnage at times... Safer to cut through Fairview park and out to Ossory road, then across the bridge and onto the cycle path at the royal canal greenway...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I'd noticed that section still there alright. It won't have the same entry and exit points, but hopefully they'll have a barrier to stop the illegal parking that's always happening there.

• Advertisement

Came through Fairview this morning, 8.15, and it was like a Sunday morning it was so clear. Maybe Duggan Jewellery should rethink his closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've seen several photos on Twitter this week of completely empty roads at rush hour. It really shows how much traffic is caused by people doing (mostly) short school runs and/or school pick-up & drop-off en route to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think it's acknowledged enough that there are also fewer people at work also when the schools are off. so work traffic drops off too.

Yeah lot of people with younger kids will take the week off or now these days will WFH when the kids are off, since they’ll have no childcare alternative

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to work fixing computers for dell (many years ago) and i remember our workload would ebb and flow with the school year. in one two week period one summer, the latest i got home was at lunchtime. the work volume would halve compared to what it was like in winter, and it was down to people simply not being in the office as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The section between the five lamps and Connolly station is lethal for cyclists now. A barrier has been erected along the bus lane meaning cyclists have nowhere to go if they're pinched between the barrier and a bus. Very poor thinking. Not a great pic below but you can see it there on the right.

I'm not sure what the solution is but at the very list put warnings signs off to make everyone aware of the merge.

I've been through that a few times now. I just move into the centre of the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Yeah that's what I've ended up doing with I'm sure putrid hatred for me building up behind me :)

It's really only experienced cyclists who have the confidence to do this. That needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I suppose you could argue that cyclists, buses and cars are all being discommoded by the construction and that everyone should be aware that the usual conditions don't exist and act accordingly (and defensively if necessary). Probably wishful thinking, of course. There are a good few signs warning of ongoing construction although usually framed in the 'expect delays' mode. As a daily cyclist on the route I find taxi drivers to be the worst offenders at the best of times, although they are probably also the most aware of the conditions so I'll reserve judgement for a couple more weeks. I've adjusted my route a couple of times already to avoid aggression and danger (although I shouldn't have to) and will do so again if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Last day for making a submission on Fingal's cycleway plans from Sutton to Malahide. If you've been long-fingering it, have your say today.

This might be petty/nitpicking from me, but I see the Indo put out an article the other day talking about traffic disruptions for 3 months to replace water pipes in Clontarf, and I see Damien Farrell has rowed in again mentioning disruptions from the C2CC project, but only referencing the cycle way part

It’s crazy how there’s so little pushback to this 3 months of disruptions, even though the C2CC work is also replacing the water mains

Yeah, I've seen it posted locally, and no one has an issue with these disruptions really. They only have a problem with cycle lanes. And most people against the cycle lane make no mention about the water main as part of C2CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Was cycling by that way yesterday on the way to Bull Island. They're a weird lot in Clontarf. Rather than spoil the 'breathtaking' view of the Dublin Port fuel silos and Covanta power plant etc by allowing a sea wall heightening... they'd risk being flooded. Those temporary flood bags are now a permanent feature of the landscape...like a ghost estate. Btw the antics of petrol heads trying to navigate the Bull Island bridge and beyond to reach the very waters edge before moving their arses out of their cars was a sight to behold. I presume the golf mafia have a lockdown on pedestrian-ising that bridge once and for all? On a more happier note it looks like the cycle path over Alfie Byrne bridge to link with the Port cycleway is coming along nicely.

People want the flood defence. DCC won't build it and prefer the builders bags.

did they not lower the flood defence wall past st. anne's park because of people objecting about it disrupting the view?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If I recall correctly, people didn't want the wall at the edge raised as it would ruin the view, etc.

Then the council proposed an earth bank between the road and the path by the wall. This however would mean that people especially lone women might be attacked whilst out of sight from passing traffic.

The people have said they don't want whatever is proposed but not yet offered alternatives.

Different section on that stretch. But yeah, I think it cost €300,000 to lower that bit again, so drivers could look out to sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They did but there weren't sandbags up there and it hadn't flooded from the sea in any recorded event afaik. Its previous floods were due to rainfall \ rivers which the wall would do nothing for \ could have made worse if not done right. There were discrepancies in the report which proposed the original height of the wall, when re-examined based on the objections & the current height was deemed adequate.

I thought I read something to the effect that for the original height to be needed, you'd be looking at a scenario where Bull Island is submerged - yet Bull Island is still growing despite increases in sea levels. I may not have all the details right, there was a thread on the Dublin forum where it was discussed when it was in the news.

There was a proposal for a an eyesore flood defence for the part with sand bags near Alfie Byrne road. DCC wanted to run a water main on the surface of the promenade, doubling as a flood defence. The foot path\ cycle path would have been on the other side of this so people on it would not be visible at all from the road. So there were concerns about anti social behaviour \ safety of the people on it as well as the loss of the view. The new proposal is to have staggered wall, same height as the current one, between the promenade and the road. And let the promenade flood over and have the second wall contain it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

i've used the cycle lanes on collins avenue and griffith avenue recently, and noticed that on the former, the surface of the cycle lane seems to be coming off in places; it's the beige finish stuff, and to my eyes almost looks like roofing felt that hasn't adhered in places.

one slightly bemusing thing to note about griffith avenue that is in places, the parking for cars is the 'parking protected cycle lane' variety, with a buffer zone marked by hatching between the cars and the bike lane. but occasionally you'll see clusters of cars parked in the hatching, in what i assume is a 'follow my leader' effect. clearly the driver feels more comfortable parking as tight in away from the driving lane as possible, but thus removing the benefit of the hatching covering the door zone for the car. wasn't too much in evidence yesterday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so this would be pretty dope, and means it'll be easier for people in that neck of the woods to get down to the seafront without cars. I am guessing it'll go along that path by the river that goes under the M1 from Clonshaugh industrial estate over the airway industrial estate or whatever?

What do you all think they'll do? Run it through the grounds of Cadbury or something? Is that where the river goes? My house in Dublin is just off Springdale road so it'd be handy for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Is that 2 years just to come up with a design?

Will use the existing ‘greenway’ that goes from the lane across from little Venice there on the old airport road through the IDA business park there in clonshaugh.

I’d imagine it’ll just follow the river, so stardust memorial, through the corner of Cadbury’s and down by the odeon and then just follow Springdale.

Raheny will be the challenge I’d say, I can imagine the complaints already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭A-Train

It would be great if it happens. I think the plan around Springdale section is to cross over the bridge to the college and upgrade the path along the college towards Harmonstown and Raheny. I live in this area and it would be great as my folks live in the area also and using this would knock 10 mins off a walk around to them.

I also have been trying to follow this for the last number of years to see how it was progressing, as I think it would be great for the area. I know there was presentation given to DCC a number of years ago discussing this project: Urban Design Plans 2 Local area Plans (dublincity.ie) and there is a good Feasibility study here Santry River Greenway Feasibility Appraisal (tudublin.ie) which was carried out by DIT at the time showing route options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Closing the whole road. Man this is going to cause so much outrage, can't wait tbh!

• Advertisement

Hopefully they give adequate space for a cycle lane during the construction, the temporary section from Marino Mart down to Edges is too narrow at the moment to be honest. I wouldn’t fancy using it on a cargo bike or with a trailer for kids, and they’ve also the shite lump of a ramp to join back onto the existing path at the end

Advertisement