Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

I wonder if there are any more relatives having issues that you will claim are the fault of immigrants.

You're twisting.

He pointed to immigrants as a cause for increased costs along with service reductions in the HSE and other services. Which they are. An increased population places greater demand on the services available, and considering that, even during Ireland's economic boom periods, the HSE along with complimentary services were struggling previously with a smaller population.

Legal Immigrants who are skilled and gainfully employed are not considered a problem by most posters on this thread. There are issues with them due to culture, integration/Assimilation, and problems arising from 2nd/3rd generation migrant families, but that's not the argument being put forward here. The issue with regards to migrants refers to those who avail of services, are illegal, and therefore, can use the services but fail to contribute to the economy for those services to exist. In addition, there are the low skilled migrants who contribute little but still have to be covered by services, especially during the covid period of the last two years.

So.. immigration is part of the problem.. when considering those whose contributions to the State likely fall well short of what they've been receiving... and that Irish people, like those he mentioned, will lose out due to those increased demands on the system.

So illegal immigrants cannot pay tax, but they can avail of free healthcare? doesn't make sense.

I doubt very much that ordinary Ukrainians believe Russia invading their country is the best thing that could have happened to them...

less people have died then in shock and awe in Iraq? Well, that's ok then. Sure who cares if a few less people due in an invasion of their country 🙄

Good lord.

I'd recommend getting someone to dig a little deeper with the department about this because it doesn't sound right. Everyone over a certain age is entitled to such a card, and the supports that come with it. My own parents have managed very well financially, and they still have their cards. Something sounds a bit dodgy about them losing their cards.. so get digging, and get a few of the less useless politicians on board.

I wouldn't be surprised to see such benefits weaned away or made less available based on age, similar to what's happening with the pension, but for now, your parents should be entitled to the card. Means tested or not.

Not disputing what you've said. I know little about all this, but.. from what I do know, it shouldn't be happening the way you've described.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,101 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Will do, apparently when it was time to reapply when the card was expiring that’s when it was ninjad…or not renewed

There is seemingly no age for entitlement.

Post edited by Strumms on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The medical card is means-tested.

The means-test is reviewed every so often, that is probably why they lost it.

Everybody over 70 gets a GP-Visit card.

There is no link between UKR refugees and the over 70s medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, this is where the result was crystal clear, but in other elections where there was small a relatively small turnout " sure they are all the same" but if these same non-voters instead spoiled their votes, then that would also send a msg,,,,,we do not see any reason to vote for the candidates presented. We do not consider them worthy or capable of holding a position in the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

Glad to see you are happy with the way things are going DaCor. Now I wonder when the Govt are going to hold a referendum giving the rest of the Irish population a say in the kind of Ireland they want? After all, its their Country and future too!!.

They have the GP card and grateful for that at least but there is certainly a link between the state outgoings, expenditure priorities and being unable to support taxpayers further as regards their health .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, okay, there is an indirect link, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

What a shocking post there. Ah sure less people died than the shock and awe bombing Americans did in Iraq, it's grand. In fairness I do agree with him that Ukraine wasn't in the best of conditions pre the war but the lack of empathy is shocking and it's the same thing that a lot of people have towards immigrants - basically not seeing them as human beings who deserve dignity and respect.

the problem is that in 10/15 years they might have to enable taxpayers and citizens with a say, in the same regard as the British were.

citizens watching themselves and loved ones missing out on needed benefits, quality of life degradation, all as a result of too many people trying to be enabled with too little resources to go around…i know a lot of people over there, some vote remain, some leave…both sides had a compelling argument..

neither situation is ideal… we want to help but without the ability to cap what we can do in terms of numbers, we will head for an iceberg….

politicians won’t care, they are wealthy, let’s remind ourselves of the podium that TD’s as opposed to ministers are getting behind this on…

TD wage…

€ 100,191

if a Dail runs full term, 500,955 euros plus expenses gross is a TDs wage over that period.

they are isolated from the concerns, struggles, challenges of life for people in everyday Ireland.

sadly…. They don’t have to deal with or be responsible for the causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Wrong after the diploma they do an enterance exam to do the law degree to qualify as a Barrister . No formal education only applies to doing the diploma.

The post below is from the legal thread . To get back to the point very difficult for a migrant to enter the profession and become a judge .You do like to skirt around .

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118874808#Comment_118874808

Post edited by rgossip30 on

Thanks for the input but it's been clarified already, they have too much money so don't qualify, no conspiracy, no unfairness, no issue

Well actually no, they lost cards because they were above the threshold to qualify

Simple

You can try twist that any way you want but there's a threshold, they're above it. Nothing more to it really

Referenda are run on constitutional changes, nothing more

Only in your head. In the real world, an assessment was made and a decision was made based on criteria that has existed for years. Soz dude, no conspiracy here, you'll have to keep looking

They were too honest in the disclosures on savings for the card . You can legally transfer funds to your children for a house . We live in a dog eat dog scam world you get no medals for being honest ask your local politician.

I see those politicians contacted about taking in a Ukrainian refugee did not reply . Those asked directly we are discussing it at home .

Ahh well.. I guess I'm tired of the empty platitudes and shallow virtue signalling that tends to come from posters like yourself, and others. Those posters will pump Ukraine up to sainthood, ignoring the rake of negatives that came along with the country, including their previous status when it came to immigration to other countries... which wasn't particularly good comparatively speaking to the rest of that region.

As for the death rates, it's an example. I realise that nuance is rather difficult for both you and Bubbly (no mods, I'm not talking about these two posters, but referring to their posts just prior to this one), but it's not any kind of attempt to downplay the deaths involved, but rather to show how exaggerated Westerners have approached the Ukraine conflict, applying standards that aren't generally applied to other conflicts.... all the while setting the scene for how Europe reacts to a possible (I've heard a variety of estimates) of 20 million refugees coming from Ukraine because of the conflict. 200k to come to Ireland.. wonder where the rest will end up.. considering that other European countries are stating that they'll take in far less than 200k.

I realise that it's sometimes difficult to have a mature and adult conversation on boards.. where people don't seek the worst possible interpretation of what is said, and we are inclined to watch our wording similar to a politician on RTE... but sometimes things should be said regardless. Although, the claim that I don't see them as human beings is a bit much. Care to explain how my statement leads you to such a twisted notion?

Oh.. and I do love that you continue to talk around issues presented. True to form, as always.

The Philippines is a country with many proud patriots . They laugh when I tell them about asylum seekers and how refugees can come and get money even Ukraine dogs with no restrictions. The ngo will look for a dog allowance next .

You fall foul of immigration there you will be in deep **** obey the law and you will be treated with curtesy.

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Advertisement

It really warms my heart to know that I personally know several folks who are among the 250 who have received their letter of permission over the last few days.

RTE news : 250 undocumented migrants receive approval to stay

The last paragraph of that report is something I hadn't realised but that I'm delighted to see. It looks like the govt are about to actively start looking for immigrants to sign up for permission rather than just wait for them to apply.

As part of the next phase, the Department of Justice is to work with the NGO sector to reach vulnerable members of migrant communities and to encourage them to apply for what has been described as a 'once-in-a-generation opportunity' to regularise their status here.

You can only hope these folks have time to heal and start to rebuild their lives once they get here

The Ukrainian family I was about to drive back to Ireland were already standing by the car when I walked out of my hotel in Poznan, western Poland, at six o’clock in the morning.

There were four of them: Olga, a mother in her late 30s, her own mother, and Olga’s son (14) and daughter — possibly one of the cutest eight-year-old girls you have ever seen.

The first thing I noticed was the boy’s jacket. The sun hadn’t had time to warm the air, but he was wearing only the lightest of windcheaters.

The second thing was the luggage. This family, who had fled the bombing in Kyiv only the day before and, as I would later learn, had fled Donbas a few years ago, had just one small suitcase and a number of plastic bags.

This was the sum total of their possessions. This was all that they had saved to bring to Ireland. Worse, much of what they were carrying was food.

We drove our Teslas all the way to Poland and came back to Ireland with 72 Ukrainian refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

Immigration in Ireland has turned into a relegion of sorts.

Is the problem a lack of childcare or that housing was and is so expensive that it requires dual incomes unlike previous generations? Does this come up in conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yes, creche cost and availability is a very large issue.

Though off topic

Post edited by Luxembourgo on

Which is exactly what I said.

one year Barrister degree course at the Kings inn, can be done if a person does the two year diploma.

Don't know what the issue is here? The point made was that they don't need a law degree, which they dont. It's as difficult for a migrant to enter the profession as anyone else who wished to enter.

You do realise this information is freely available everywhere? No need for another thread about it!

Tbh, I find your obsession with my posts quite strange and a little worrying, it's a bit stalkery,if I'm honest.

But yet you know nothing of how posters feel about other conflicts, or their level of involvement in other conflicts.

It also doesn't matter if there was a lot of corruption in the country, ordinary people are being forced to leave their homes, country if they are lucky, the unluckier ones have a much harder time.

trying to put people down because they have sympathy for others is very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Fantastic to see? Another 17K added to the population! I hope for your sake they're all carbon-neutral immigrants because you have previously stated that we are emitting way too much C02.

So which is it @[Deleted User]? Is increasing our C02 output through higher population levels and thus damaging the environment more a problem or not?

Or is it just the dirty Irish native that should be cutting back while we fly in unlimited amounts of immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers? .

My money is on the latter, it's clear to see that the lunatic-left in Ireland have utter contempt for the native Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well that explains your attitude then. You have a personal stake in this because you know several illegal immigrants who have now had this waived away by McEntee's latest trend chasing crusade.

You're supporting people who knowingly broke our laws and continued to do so right up until last week at the expense of every native citizen and legal migrant around them.

I think you may climb down off that high horse before you fall. You just lost any semblance of credibility with that admission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If they've been stuck in DP for 10 years, that is their own fault. They've been told they don't qualify and are wasting state resources on pointless appeals, and not all refugees are "not white"

Advertisement