Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

When the government pushes out the retirement age as they are starting to do, this is a default on its obligations.

A default like if you didn't pay what was agreed, when it was agreed, when you struck a deal with someone.

In Ireland tax income was never higher than it is these days. Yet FG FF and SF are planning to default. Think that through for yourself. Be aware and draw your own conclusions of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

Can you support this with some evidence?

I thought reduction of birth rates was credited mainly to the availability of contraception and women attaining higher education and maintaining careers primarily.

As for lower tax equating to higher birth rate can you then explain why Switzerland for example had lower rates of tax on wages than ireland but also a lower birthrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Men between the ages of 18 and 60 are not allowed to leave Ukraine. I did see a report that said mainly women , children , pensioners but 20% were men .

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Once again it's great to see our resident government conspiracy theorist show his face again to post some cryptic message about a government conspiracy that he won't divulge. He's smarter than us all - he's figured it all out but he can't reveal it for some unknown reason. Any chance you could give us middling IQ having people some insight into the government conspiracy here? Can you even point me in the right direction? Gemma O'Doherty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I and my friends are all of that age, both parents working and it is a common discussion point around those with kids already.

And the majority of us are lucky enough to have a home, those renting have put off kids to concentrate on getting a house first.

Childcare, availability and cost, is the biggest issue. Barely any places for children where I am living (and with the growth expected in the town, its going to get worse), promised creches still not open 2 years after houses moved into.

And id agree that the factors you mention have influenced largely as well, but with the cost of living here, one person working isn't always an option (wish it was)

I thought that was a simple question for one who is an expert on the subject cat got your tongue ! I try again what educational qualifications does one need to sit the diploma course if you don’t have a law degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ah come on lets not be so cynical.

But to answer your question, Mary on Facebook has obviously shared another meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,104 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nothing xenophobic about it….what that poster said is 1000% factual unfortunately.

None. Anyone can do it

And I'm not an expert, never said I was. Not sure why all the smart arsery from you though

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Interesting immigration up 2 points to 5 percent in the Ireland Thinks poll - two most important issues

Realistically I wonder how many Barristers had no formal education .

Doesn't matter. I believe the point is they don't need a law degree, as I said.

This x10000

We are going now as a result of these incompetent and feckless decisions going to be shortly paying more tax but having even less access to benefits, services like healthcare and so on that come from those payments of ours.life in Ireland is like a person spending 20/30 minutes getting to their supermarket, an hour filling the trolly, 15 minutes Qing, emptying, paying and packing… then on the way out, someone comes along, takes almost 50% of your shopping… walking away you complain to be told.. “ well, other people, they need it “..

not good enough.

there is no longer any regard or consideration for the wellbeing of Irish people…

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If they went on afterwards and achieved a lot it wouldnt bother me. I dont buy into elitist nonsense that Ministers must have exact qualifications. Nye Bevan left school at 13 and went onto set up the NHS.

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Gangster Yippin do not post in this thread again

Lol, the most untrue thing in the history of untrue things

The local businesses in Kerry are only delighted to see the Ukrainian folks arriving and are coming together to form a centralised facility to match these folks with job opportunities that haven't been filled by locals

Dozens of vacant positions are likely to be filled by Ukrainian refugees arriving to Kerry as employers facing staff shortages race to recruit those who have fled their war-torn country.

While the severe shortage of workers for the hotel and catering industry is well documented, there are also vacancies waiting to be filled across other sectors from manufacturing, engineering, signwriting to retail, according to Kate O’Shea of Dream jobs recruitment agency in Killarney.

By Thursday, a day after an appeal to employers went out, some 14 companies got in touch with “endless” amounts of jobs on offer.

Ms O'Shea then drew up a list of the vacancies, spoke to refugees housed in one of the hotels, and says that already 60 refugees have indicated their interest.

"There is huge appetite among the refugees for work," said Ms O'Shea.

Teachers, engineers, a welder, a graphic designer, medical doctors, and psychologists are among the “highly skilled refugees” to arrive in Killarney.

Many are willing to work in the tourist and retail sectors to improve their English.

Oh go on so, give us the detailed reason the social welfare provided to your 80 Yr old parents as to why they no longer qualified for the medical card when they did previously.

You'll note, according to the HSE, the only way they wouldn't be entitled, is if they fail means testing/earn too much. There is literally no other way to "lose" the medical card once your over 70

If one of you is aged 70 or older, you will both qualify for a medical card, if your combined gross income is €1050 or less a week.

Further info available below should you need it

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/medical_cards_and_gp_visit_cards/medical_card_means_test_over_70s.html

• Advertisement

Oh, I understand the desire to leave Ireland. I'll be motoring off again within the next few months, probably back to Asia. This country is being run into the ground, and alas, there's little true appreciation for maintaining the success of past times, and more interest in placing ever increasing strain on the taxpayer (and businesses)..

Just be careful with Oz. The glory days for Australia was about a decade ago, and while there is plenty of work for craftsmen, I've heard from mates there that there's a lot more corruption, and messing around going on. Plus the problems from climate change will place tremendous pressure on an economy that was already struggling with a range of first world issues.

Still, best of luck with it all. I loved Australia.. was tempted a few times to return, but alas, SE Asia captured my heart.

Their income is 1050 euro a week or more. That is why they are loosing their medical cards.

You need to stop being so personal in your posts. It's not the 'anyone can say anything about Bubblypop' thread.

As for your hysteria, that's all it is.

I've noticed that posters throw out the idea of hysteria when they're unable to actually deal with what was written. You haven't countered a single thing I've said. Nothing. You've deflected, and shifted goalposts, but not actually addressed the points I made previously.

Oh, and no... these illegals wouldn't be paying tax through their wages, because they can't be registered for taxation. They would be paid cash in hand, therefore bypassing the tax man, and so, not paying into the economy. Justice is rather lame at pursuing illegal work practices, but Revenue is rather strict about getting registered and whether someone is eligible to be on their system. Paying their rent, or buying products, and so paying VAT counts for squat.

But getting back to my question, about whether you care about this country.. yes, I know you want more people to come here. However, economics. Are you capable of acknowledging the costs involved for every person in the State, and the requirements on people to pay their own way? We have a disadvantaged population already, so, are you advocating the addition to those disadvantaged groups, and are you capable of recognising how that would affect the economy, and everyone else, by extension?

Don't deflect with claims of hysteria. Deal with the problems involved... or simply admit that you don't really care what happens to the country.

They were perceived to have too much savings :)

So you can be prudent with your finances, putting money away responsibly for a rainy day / comfortable retirement but you are supposed after paying a combined 75 years of income tax, as well as other tax when they go to enjoy that retirement after both working for the state… that they if as they did both get sick, / medical issues that they benefit with a dig out ? Nope…. But step off the plane from xxxx, you get everything including cards from thousands who lost them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I can't find the part where it says that no octogenarians are entitled to medical cards due to immigrants??

It's the perspective of a third world economy, rather than being a member of the third world. Technically, they would be a 2nd world nation.

Economically, they were screwed before Russia invaded. The poorest country in Europe, with even Moldovia beating them. Ukraine was incredibly corrupt with a large portion of their government working privately as businesses people, but using their legal immunity to default on loans, and other shenanigans. There's really no shortage of negatives to look at when it comes to how Ukraine operated before the war.

Russia invading Ukraine is probably the best thing to happen to them, because they've gone from being an extremely dodgy country to sainthood. And before people go nuts about the people being killed, less people have died so far than during the same period of the American Shock and Awe campaign in Iraq.

Ukrainians have gotten a free pass for immigration into Europe, with full economic/financial support.. along with the protected status of being refugees. As a "European" conflict, once the war is finished, money will pour into Ukraine to make it a bastion of western thinking. Which is something no Ukrainian would have believed possible before the war started. Even their political leadership has gained a makeover, with all their past "workings" smoothly removed from sight, and not reported on.

But yeah, Ukraine would have been considered something akin to a third world economy. The presence of that much corruption is usually a strong indicator of such a status.

They were perceived to have too much savings

Thanks for the clarification that they failed the means test.

Your assertion that they lost the MC because of immigrants has been proven false by your own admission.

Is that 2 for 2 now? This and the claims about your cousin.

I wonder if there are any more relatives having issues that you will claim are the fault of immigrants.

I know, the lizard people are hiding those paragraphs in Roswell

• Advertisement

too much savings ? … responsible savings more like…the government simply acted to relinquish cards from them and others we know in order to enable help non taxpayers….. :)

both expected to empty their bank accounts to enable their own health they’ll re-qualify for cards, a vicious stupid circle…… my father has two conditions that on average he’s hospitalised annually for, my mother simply managed with physio and medication…

so no falsity, ,they lost cards because the demand or want from others, non taxpayers is seen to trump theirs… their cards are given to others with different names.

Advertisement