Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Seanad by-election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

It's like we've got an Irish version of the House of Lords.

Bacik being the previous incumbent says it all really.

Some Republic, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Irish electorate voted in the 7th amendment of the Constitution in 1979 to extend a Seanad vote to all graduates, but this has never been legislated for.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not true, you don’t need to be a graduate of Trinity to run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Since no Senator has a 'constituency' - that is, they are Senators for the whole country - they could dispense with byelections for the Seanad altogether.

Save a bit of cash as well - not just the cost of the election, but also the few bob they get for the odd day they sit, plus all the unvouched expenses for when they do not bother turning up. It is no wonder that 17 people think its worth having a shot at a nice little earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Constitution requires the vacancies to be filled, albeit it doesn't specify how. I suspect changing it to County Council like procedures would probably be OK. That would have seen it given to Quill in this case probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Iirc a few others has bits in their literature about climate and biodiversity. A good few had stuff in there about gender issues as well. While the above are important issues, they are hardly the most pressing facing the country right now. That said, maybe that speaks more about an electorate that has the luxury to worry about these kinds of things while the rest of us deal with a housing and cost of living crisis. Only a few mentioned education, which is a bit mad considering it is a university seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

It may end up between Clonan and Chu

Decent split for Chu on Oluborode's votes. Clonan now leading.

Counts should be quite a bit slower from now on, decent jump in vote volumes. (once they've done Stocker's 657, which I forgot had to be done first...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Chu is doing incredibly well with recent transfers. I had her written off but I'm not so sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That said, maybe that speaks more about an electorate that has the luxury to worry about these kinds of things while the rest of us deal with a housing and cost of living crisis.

Ironically, the only (IIRC) candidate to mention those issues was the "joke" candidate.

https://www.tcd.ie/seanad/candidates/meetcandidates/Candidate%20Bios/Michael%20McDermott.php

He is running on a loosely-assembled platform of abolishing the Seanad from within and being a voice for current students and the recently graduated who can’t seem to find any accommodation in Dublin because there’s too many hotels in the way. This group is mostly ineligible to vote in this election so it’s clearly something he believes in rather than a shrewd electoral strategy.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Chu within 2 votes of Gaffney now, and O'Neill's are up next with the possibly huge break to Chu going on posts here.

I don’t see MacNeill’s votes going to Chu. I think that it will be Clonan

You shouldn't even be reading this thread if you haven't got a TCD degree. Begone or I'll send the RIC after you.

I'd be far more concerned by the fact that the Kerry Constituency is allowed to send five TDs to Leinster House.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clonan's transfers are holding up ok I think even though Chu got a big bump there.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I was wrong and I apologise wholeheartedly to my betters. It is the voting that is only open to ex TCD grads. Any chancer can still try and get themselves on the ballot paper. I assume it must look good on a CV. Still a load of nonsense though.

Traditionally, chancers have a much better chance of being elected than respectable TCD graduates have. I think it's part of what makes Trinners great - giving the less fortunate in society a leg up!

Why?

5 seaters produce more representative results than 3 seaters, and at least the campaigns in those are on real issues, even if local.

The election here has been campaigned on wishy washy niche issues that are largely irrelevant to most people - it's real elitist stuff, things you can worry about when you don't have anything to worry about quite frankly. As noted above, it was only the "joke" candidate that mentioned the issues that current and recently graduated are facing - which says it all.

The DU constituency is a joke and its well past its sell by date.

Chu might do it….

Well, if you wish to pay homage at the shrine of the Healy-Rae twins and Norma Foley then I'll happily lend you a box of matches so you can light some candles!

My earlier comment was tongue in cheek - I could just as easily have mentioned whatever God-forsaken constituency sends the likes of Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowry to Leinster House; I think it's called - rather appropriately - Tip!

• Advertisement

Minor point but I'm impressed with the low number of non-transferable votes. The only time it has been more than 10% is for Ray Bassett's transfers - which probably had more cranks than usual.

I put Tom Clonan as my transfer vote for Maureen Gaffney. I think that he will clean up on MacNeill’s votes and Gaffney’s votes to a lesser extent.

Chu may still do it

2,973 Clonan (+336)

2,743 Chu (+160)

2,641 Gaffney (+203)

2,624 MacNeill (+233)

1,890 Quill (+117)

Quill is being distributed now

Clonan needed that. You'd expect the MacNeill transfers to break his way too.

Chu needed a much better break than that there.

Quill votes I'd expect to go more to Gaffney.

Clonan has picked up more from everywhere than i thought he would.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is just 350 votes separating the last four candidates with nearly 2,000 votes to be distributed, so anything could happen.

What's Tom Clonan's story? Nobody seems to have a bad thing to say about it which is always a plus when running for public office. I see that he ran in the general election for this same seat and was the second last candidate to be eliminated (MacNeill was the last) but I don't know anything else about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

Can’t believe so many care about this rubbish and that the electorate didn’t vote for the abolition of the seaned.

and I say that as a tcd graduate.

complete irrelevance, which ever one of them gets it. They’re some shower of spoofers just looking for the next pay check ….bar Mc neill who seems to have an actual job.

I won’t be giving any of them a mandate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I said it along. Quill will probably go more to Chu than Clonan. I still think Chu could win.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement