Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Thanks, I did in fact try it to cancel one of the two virgin SIM cards I am currently running. Pleasanty surprised to get an instant automated email confirmation, followed by a call a couple of days later (dublin tel no) from an Irish guy requesting reasons for cancellation (pretty standard) and then confirmed which SIM I actually wanted to cancel. Just waiting the 30 days now to make sure they did cancel the right one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭EarWig

Did you get a call asking you to reconsider?

This year for the first time, I had to go all the way and cancel. But, got what I needed in a callback. They make good money even with the six month discount.

It only becomes difficult if you're bluffing. Which I wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No, just 6 months. But, I never had the 9 months so they know my sticking point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

No joy for me, 6 months half price BB was all that was on offer or €15 off something else, can't remember what exactly.

Might give it a week to see if they come back but will need to get the ball rolling on getting Vodafone set up to overlap with no issues.

Go ahead and get your VF sorted you can give instant notice when you're happy with your other provider, that's what I did.

I've given my 30 days notice to VM. Will get VF sorted next week, worst case I'll be paying for broadband twice for a month. If VF doesn't work out for whatever reason then I can cancel the cancellation of VM and take their 6 months offer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We have the beast bundle, have rolled off onto €112pm (was €79pm for a year).

Assume like in the past they won't match for another 12 months if i call them and it will just be easier to close the account in my wife's names and open a new one in my name (we do this each year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Cookiee

You can always call and ask! But yeah honestly cancelling and starting new contract in spouses name is best to do, always get the newest customer deal!

Yep every year when I get to speak to someone they say "thats for new customers only"

Brain dead with the cost to VM of having to set up a new account, send new equipment and collect the old kit.....if they just extended the deal they wouldn't need to do any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

There are enough existing customers that won't question it or move, to make it worthwhile.

Received a text a couple of days later to ring them on an 1800 number to see if there was anything they could do to change my mind. Told them again I would stay if the 9 months BB half price was offered and the person agreed to that.

They refuse to honour a TV and BB combo deal every year with us so we just change it to the other halves name and vice versa each year.

Would cost slightly more (€18) signing up as a new customer with current offer of €39 per month for 250mb broadband than the 9 months half price €30/€60.

Still €66 more than VF for the year but not enough for the hassle of a possible install and any connective issues or downtime.

Interesting they offered you that as a BB only customer but won't honour their TV and BB combos.

Fuckers want €50 activation fee for the beast bundle that we are trying to get for 12 months in my name after wife had the deal last year.

Don't recall this last year, anyone know a code to cover this or how to get around?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

My contract was up last week, was paying €60p/m and rolled over onto full price. Called to see if anything could be done on the price, they weren’t budging. Asked to cancel, got put through to cancellations, they offer me €9p/m off the €112 I’m now on. Said no, the person I was dealing with tried to convince me I’d be saving money on this new rate in comparison to another provider. Which I did have to laugh at.

Definitely different this year, as the last few years they’ve come down on the price. I’ll give it a couple of weeks and see do any offers come in. Otherwise time to move provider for me I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭strawdog

In the same boat, rang and not a sniff of a reduction. I think they did too well on WFH and people needing reliable broadband and don't feel the need to compete on price any more. Sky deal looking way more competitive at €60 with sports and the €50 mastercard gift card. Setup only seems to be a one off of €30.

I'm generally too lazy to bother with the hassle of a switch as long as there isn't too much of a differential but circa €50 per month is making me think I'd be a chump to stay with them. Interested to hear if anyone gets a cancellation deal.

Got one at Christmas, but only after cancelling.

What deal did you get and was it for the TV and BB service?

Just 250 broadband and 6 months at 30, 6 at 60.

Yeah seems they do deals for BB only but not combo. Anyway we switched to spouses name and even with the 50 quid activation fee its a good saving for another year

Gigabyte BB and TV for €79pm instead of €112pm

• Administrators Posts: 54,089 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My contract was up and got a discount no problem, didn't have to ask to quit or anything, just straight up offered me the discounted rate. Got the 500mb for 56 for 9 months and then 71 the last 3. Also upgraded to Hub2.0 which I guess they'll just give to everyone at this point.

They have changed their phone menu slightly and it's better now. They've basically put in a dedicated number for price haggling, after you select to talk to cancellations there's another option if you want to cancel because of price.

Regret not asking what deal they'd offer me to go to the 1gb service, will definitely do that next year.

They seem to give discounts if you have just BB but not a combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm only need BB so paying €69 p/m for 250MB and currently out of contract. Noticed on their website while looking for details on something else that new customers can get this on a 12 month contract for €39.

Is there an agreed best practice to get this sorted?

Do I actually need to cancel and re-open a new contract in someone else's name or will they give it to me on the threat of cancellation?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

I just called up. BB Only customer went from 51 to 71 - Gave me the 15 off for 9 months and back to 71 then. I dont really care and even tho I get it expensed I still have to go hunt for the cheaper option!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,089 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just ring them.

You select the option to talk to Cancellations, then there's another option if you are cancelling due to price.

Just say you're not happy with your monthly bill and you want to know what Virgin can do before you look elsewhere, you will likely get an offer straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just cancel and re-sign under partner or whatever. That jig you have to do to get the price down is a pain in the hole and you won't get what ya want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

When you do that do you have to give back equipment and then wait on new equipment to be sent out?

Is there much downtime?

WFH so can’t afford to be without for an extended period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

How easy/difficult is it to keep your number if you close account and sign up in other half’s name?

Nope just cancel in the old name by email.

Get your other half to sign up and they send you out new kit within a few days. The day before the old contract is due to be cut off (30 days after you served notice), switch over the new gear and you are good to go.

No loss of service so WFH is uninterrupted. We've done this the last three years.

You'll get a text (eventually) to send back the old kit for free via parcel motel.

As for the last q on phone numbers, can't help sorry as of it wasn't for wife I wouldn't even bother plugging on landline as never use it but given it is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm on same package. Only realised I was out of contract this morning when I got a bill for €107.

I was on a 12 month contract with discounted price of €77 per month for 12 month.

Need to go through the negotiations again now this morning!

• Advertisement

Just rang, paltry offers to remain a customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Didn't even bother trying them this year. Our house was Siro-d last November so I gave Virgin my cancellation email a month ago.

Tli connected us to Vodafone broadband yesterday. Double the speed I was getting with Virgin for just €35 a month (saving about 300 over the year), albeit without TV which I'm now using Android box, antenna and Netflix for. The engineers were saying loads of people are leaving them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

I was out of contract. Rang them, upgraded from 250 to 500, pretty much same price ( €6 saving overall over the year) as before but wanted improved data due to wfh.

Was tempted to switch given the shite u have to go thru but neighbours did and had trouble with new providers so I'll stick with virgin for 12 months...and go through the same shite again next year. Never had outages is main reason I'm sticking. 2 weeks late with the new router tho....

Yup...only real option for us with 1GB bundle was to sign a new contract on my name and kill the wives account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Rang yesterday and got 49 euro for 9 months and was upgraded to 360 box and 500mb broadband. I was on 76pm with horizon and 250mb They were offering 10 euro per month for sky sports too.

• Advertisement

Not a bad deal, couldn't get any deal when ours came up for renewal.

Not exactly a cancellation deal but I'm back with VM as a new customer, 500meg for €50 for 12 months, €7 more than I'm paying to digiweb for 65 meg, I'll cancel next year and get it in the missus name.

Funnily enough they contacted me yesterday with that same offer to cancel my cancellation! I had the 360 box already but they upped the BB to 500MB (not that I'm noticing any difference) and added in a bigger channel list (not that I'll ever watch them) ... but all in all cheaper than my previous deal and cheaper that other providers as a new customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Rang up to cancel , poor enough reward to stay .So I decided to move to eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I have gone from 250 mb to a hundred with eir , be happy if I get 50 and siro should be in my area soon enough . I just got sick of the yearly call.

First offer was 3 euro off for 3 months .

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Duit

Got an email yesterday saying contract will go up 4€ by July. Gave them a call and got 15€ discount for 9 months. They offered 10€ for 6 months as first offer, increased to 9 months. I asked if he could do something better for me. Then he offered 15€ for 6 months and finally after lots of back and forward, 15€ for 9 months. We don't have Siro therefore we need to take it...

Fairly crappy offer tbf, is the 4 euro increase letting you out of contract? If it is can you cancel and get it in somebody else's name, that's what I'm going to do next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Got the same email, I'm currently not even in a contract with them, my contract ended a while ago, don't fancy a full year contract with them again as I may need to cancel mid contract, so to avoid cancel fees I'm just going to have to deal with 4 euro increase 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

On the Beast Plan with Multi Room was 117

got 63.50 for 6 months

Will do for now

• Advertisement
Advertisement