Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-rtx-a2000/

Practically identical performance to RTX 3050 but lower power draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's longshots, and then there's this one....and it's one for the fossils of the forum (like myself). I'd love to find and rebuy (or at least identify) the very first pc I ever owned.

It was in or around 1999, maybe 2000....and I bought a Compaq Presario of some description. I'm sure it had a K6-2 450, but the mists of time may have made that incorrect, could have been a K6-2 350. Definitely an AMD K6 of some description anyway.

I can find matching photos, but just can't nail down the model number. It could be the 5070, some of these have Pentium 2 chips. Looked exactly like this...

But that has a P2 chip in it.

As I said, it's beyond a long shot but maybe someone here had one and might remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Nice find. The 5221 sounds about right, because I added a creative labs dvd player kit to it, whereas the 5240 comes with a dvd drive. I also added a voodoo 3 3200 to it, a pci gpu because the machine had no agp port. Thanks for posting that 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

What would be a best place with a good amount of laptops displayed in store around Dublin?

Want to order a new one, but would prefer to check some of the candidates first hand before purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Curry's and Harvey Norman would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Then compare prices online if you find one you like

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Thanks. I did spend last month on youtube/review sites and already im so confused what to get. If I find something which ticks all the boxes its usually above budget and opposite when I find something under its usually with some minus which makes the purchase a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Jesus, it's impossible to make a decision one which CPU to go for right now. 12400F was my initial call, then the 5600x collapsed in price and now AMD just announced the 5500 which is going to be 6c/12t part. Smaller cache could hurt the 5500 but for my needs it'll probably be perfectly fine. To be honest you can make a good argument for all three and be happy with whatever one you prefer. Talk about a complete turn around from last year.

Now if only Intel can get into the CPU market and really put the cat among the pigeons.

Thinking I might jump on a 5600x. The MSRP is over €300 and it's currently hitting €230. I suspect that's some kind of discount AMD are offering before the 5600 comes out as they must be losing sales to the 12400. As soon as the 5600 hits, chances are the 5600x will go back to is usual price. But who knows.

Toss in the MSI B550 A-PRO for around €100 compared to the MSI B660M A-PRO for closer to €160 and things get interesting.

But like I said, you can make a case for a lot of configurations depending on budget and use case at this level now. You might be able to get a 5500 and a MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX for less than either the 12400F and 5600x on their own. Not to be sniffed at.

• Advertisement

DirectStorage released. They say it'll work on PCIe 3.0 but we'll see how well compared to later versions. Also olny supporting RTX 2000 and RX 6000 or later cards. For now anyway. Might be a few years before the real killer app comes out but games coming out supporting are coming this year apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Does anyone know if there are any good discount codes for Dell/Alienware monitors? I can get a student discount of 10% but the UK student equivalent is 23%!!!

Talk to their live chat and say you're ready to buy today, but the price is out of your budget.

7 times out of 10, they'll give you a bigger discount to secure a commission.

Thanks, I'll give that a go when the monitor goes live on the website. I'm guessing that could be a reason why they'd say "No" though - it's the brand new QD-OLED I'm interested in, and stock seems to be limited going by US and Asian buyers on reddit. But I'll defo try!

Thanks! I'm keeping an eye on both. Actually, I may have some One4All vouchers that I could use in Currys if they get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I doubt live support will discount a brand new model that is in high demand.

Yeah, after reading further on Reddit it seems they sold out nigh on immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is this the monitor that's referred to above? If so it might be worth checking to see if you can avail of an education/student discount on top of the reduction.

Looks like a 2 month delivery wait.

Also price is €1,344.39 for us.

Yeah, and seemingly every other country in Europe gets a 23% student discount, except for Ireland who only get 10%. 🙄

Samsung have an equivalent monitor out later in the year, but it should be cheaper as it won't have G-Sync Ultimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Anyone know of anywhere I could buy a NUC in Dublin, preferably somewhere that takes One4All? One4All are nigh on useless and finally need something but can't find anywhere except Elara that have them & take One4All

SimplyNUC in Dunleer might be able to help you? https://simplynuc.eu/

Wouldn't hurt to drop them a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Cant stand One4All. I pay the fee (€8) and get the amount transferred to my bank account.

10.1 You may at any time request us to repay to you any remaining balance on the Card by calling us on 01 870 8111 and quoting the Card number. You must not use your Card after you ask us to repay the balance to you. In order to allow any outstanding Card Transactions to clear, GVS will refund the balance to you by bank transfer to your nominated bank account, less any applicable fees

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can use One4All in Tesco. When ever I get one I just use them there for shopping.

Without wishing to drag the thread off-topic, can you use multiple cards at the one time? I have a few with random amounts left on them from previous purchases/fees being deducted. 😳

Usually yeah, done that in TK Maxx a few times.

Just be prepared for the cashier to sigh as they die a little inside.

Had seen them alright. Eventually found the one I was looking for on Aliexpress (opposite end of Dublin) I'll have no doubt forgotten why I bought it when it arrives in October after travelling by Donkey from China and will have been no cheaper when An Post charge twice what it cost me in Customs charges, but sure that's part of the joy of ordering from Aliexpress

Really? The mini PC I bought was had a Price Adjustment of ~€50 euro and says "Orders shipped from outside of EU with a goods value above EUR150 will be subject to VAT upon importation into the EU." Seems like it's only paid on orders of €150 or less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a weird one F11 will not work for me in Windows 11. In order to go fullscreen in chrome or where I noticed it first when viewing pictures when I press F11 to go full screen it never does anything any more I was just pressing F11 in browser just to test. F11 works fine in Linux. F11 also registers with online keyboard testers. This is a desktop key board so no FN as I googled and websites were saying press FN. Anyone ever come across this before and know how to fix it?

Advertisement