Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone try going down the custom keyboard route? Any experiences? I would like to try out to some other switches as I am convinced linear switches are not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I got one of those big switch tester things a few years back. Off the top of my head it has about 70 different switch types, although most are probably outdated now, superseded by newer types. I never went further than that though - a few switches on it felt great, but I came to realise my big issue with modern keyboards is the ergonomics (or lack thereof) rather than the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think after 5 years my GPU is on its last legs. It had a good run. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Slightly Chuffed with a deal I nabbed in Argos this morning, saw it was on HUKD deal yesterday and managed to get a reservation through - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-mateview-gt-34-165hz-gaming-monitor-standard-edn-ps22999-27-for-just-ps109-free-click-collect-at-argos-3919867 got the 27" version for €129.99 :D

27", 165hz, 1440p, VA - what a steal. Can't believe it worked! Seems to have been delisted from Argos today. Surely a pricing error.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I spotted that yesterday and no store showed stock for either the 34" or 27".

Fair play for getting it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Unbelievable price! Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Haha, I couldn't believe it when they rocked out with the box from behind the counter as it was giving all sorts of errors at the till when I went to pickup.

I was just after a nightmare return too of a A1 refurb 27" 95hz IPS ElectriQ from laptopsdirect (€176) that shipped without power cable or stand, (I went and bought them separately and then discovered the laptop had a big purple vertical line) so I was due a spin of good luck!

Anyways, that's my win of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

My 5 year old PC is in the same boat , i7 7700 with a 1080 but I've waited this long I can wait another 6 months to see what comes out in September .

Yep, as I said elsewhere an 8320 with a RX480. Keep getting freezes then if it does start working again tells me it's a driver error, though I'm up to date.

• Advertisement

I see online ones saying the prices of graphics cards are going down, but I notice that seems to be more for the US. When could we expect to see similar happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

That would be a fairly big bottleneck in a lot of games.

Saw a guy on Reddit recently enough who had an FX8350 with an RTX3070.🤔

The 2600K is incomparably superior to an FX8350 actually for games. The 2600K would have similar, albeit better average frames to an FX8350 maybe but the real difference is the 1% lows would be massively better.

Bottlenecks don't mean a game isn't running, it just means the card is hitting a processor ceiling and not being fully utilised. Most systems have bottlenecks to some extent obviously but usually they are small and inconsequential and not worth talking about.

An Fx-8350 though can bottleneck even low-end cards quite badly in quite a lot of games, for example an RX480 can run any game at rock solid 60fps, even if at this stage you'd have to lower a few settings.....but an FX is not capable of same in many games.

This is a good example. FX-8350 v Ryzen 5800 comparisons with the exact same card.

Take COD Warzone...the FX-8350 is 78fps with poor 0.1% lows of 43fps. The Ryzen 5800 is 183fps with 0.1% lows of 102fps.

So for example if you had an RX480 on the first PC, at 1080p medium settings you'd get 78fps with frequent drops/stutters, on the 2nd PC with the same RX480 you'd get a rock solid and higher framerate with zero drops.

So you can see how the FX-8350 can limit an RX480 in a lot of games even just at 1080p because the processor cannot feed the card. The average frames might be relatively OK even in newer games but it's the stutters and drops that really are the manifestation of the bottleneck.

My own 2nd PC is an old i5-2500 with a GTX1060 that would be a similar story. It's not a bottleneck in the games I play on it, for example Apex Legends runs at 1080p high settings at solid 60fps perfectly and card is at 95-99% usage. But if I suddenly tried to play Battlefield 1 or Battlefield 5 on it, welcome to stutter city while GPU sits at 50-60% usage.

Not at all **** on someone for owning an FX-8350 by the way, I am sure many of us have had FX at some point. I just think sometimes of that guy on Reddit with his Fx-8350 and RTX3070. Getting 30-60fps in new games instead of 150-200fps and could not figure out what was "wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's all well and good for high refresh but someone with a 8320 and Rx 480 is most likely running 1080p 60Hz so even if they bought newer better hardware the gaming will be the same 1080p 60Hz.

That completely missed my point. The point is that an FX is going to drop way below 60fps all the time.

For example if I play Warzone, Apex, Battlefield with Rx480 and Ryzen I can get solid 60fps.

With FX you get frame stutters and drops in game with same card.

I know upgrading just the card wouldn't be the best idea. I plan on upgrading pretty much everything.

Anyone here used OcUK lately? Any problems/changes since Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I haven't used them since brexit. I could be wrong but AFAIK you will be charged extra tax if you order from them. I think you have to order from EU stores now.

Cheers lads. I've used CaseKing loads, but found delivery really slow the last couple of times. That was a while ago now, mind you.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it turns out Amazon is cheapest for the motherboard I'm looking for. Initially I ignored them because PC Part Picker had them down as being relatively expensive, but then I checked Amazon myself and low and behold they had the best deal.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Got my hands on a 6700xt, my rig is an i7 6700k and 1070 at the mo. I could just pop in the new card but I presume that processor is a bit old to be paired with it at this stage?

Am considering either the 12400f or a 5600x to replace the i7, both seem fairly similar cost wise due to 12400f compatible motherboards being pricier than the B550s. What do folks reckon? Trying to keep costs down as much as possible as GPU was a it of an impulse buy. I tend to play at 1440p, generally happy if framerate is 60 or above and stable but I do like 144fps in multiplayer shooters where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Impulse buys are best :-) Personally I'd be tempted just to install the GPU and see if the performance boost is good enough for your needs. Then sell the 1070 and get a good chuck of the cost of the 6700XT back, keep an eye out for deals on either the 5600x or 12400F setups. You might even get a nice Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700 second hand on adverts at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4xMZBc

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€179.28 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i35 A-RGB CPU Cooler (€42.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€169.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €390.38

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-25 14:17 CEST+0200

Motherboard has WiFi & USB-C

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can I re-use my 212 Evo cooler from my 6700k on the 12400f?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You might need a new mounting bracket from CoolerMaster but it should work fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yes but TBH it might be easier to get a new cooler, since the upgrade kits seem to be out of stock all the time.

Could even be a good reason to switch to Noctua, since they will ALWAYS have upgrade kits available for new sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just curious has anyone made the move to windows 11 with their main gaming PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Thinking about it but I did use it for about 2 months a while back and didn't like it.

Eventually it will be the norm and prople that are still on windows 10 will be like the people on windows 7 now..

• Advertisement

I'm doing a new build in a few weeks, and think I'll take the plunge. If it's a disaster I'll just reinstall 10.

Advertisement