Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What memory timings and speed are people on Ryzen running. I have been running IF 1900MHz for a few months now without any issues. I was thinking about getting a Zen 3 chip but I'm not fully sure as there are reports of some people unable to run 1900MHz. I know some of the lucky ones can get 2000MHz which is what I would want if I got a Zen 3 chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I have it paired to my memory speed (1800mhz for ddr4 3600) as I've read that the best thing to do. I've never really tried over clocking mine. Never had a need to.

Have a 5800x paired with a 6900xt and with PBOnand SAM I'm happy enough.

What timings at 3600MHz are you running?

You would gain a few frames by tuning the timings and faster IF matched with faster memory speed. I am still 1:1:1 so not out of sync.

It's cl16 but not sure of the sub timings.

I'm pretty sure mine is set to 1:1:1 as well but I'll have to take a look when I get home.

I know I'm leaving free performance on the table by not tweaking. I have an arctic liquid freezer aio too so plenty of capacity to keep temps down.

As an aside. A question for the room.

I've been able to get my hands on three lower end GPUs for a decent price. A gtx 1650, an rx570 4gb and a gtx 980 4gb

I'm going to build three lower end machines and sell them for basically cost price. I enjoy building PCs and do it as sort of a hobby.

Just can't decide if I should use second hand Ryzen 1600's or new i3 10100f's.

Both platforms work out at about the same price.

Do you think a Ryzen 5 1600 on say a b450 or a 10100f on a b460 would be a better/more interesting platform fro a buyer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Those GPU's would fetch fairly decent prices these days. It's mad...

Not sure about the strengths or weaknesses of the intel processor. But I am still running my R5 1600 on a B350 board. If I was recommending one of those systems to someone I would point out that the B450 board will support an upgrade to a beefier processor all the way up to the current gen of Ryzen chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

It probably depends on the games. Ryzen 1600 is 6/12, 10100F is 4/8. But the Intel has significantly better per-core performance.

Both have reasonable upgrade options either.

I'd probably go Ryzen 1600 purely because casual buyers see "i3" and automatically think lower end, even though that CPU is effectively the same as an i7-7700K.

"Six core Ryzen 1600" sounds better to most casual buyers. For the kind of games I personally play I'd actually prefer the i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Seeing a lot more RTX cards in stock on PartAlert / Amazon these days...maybe a sign of things stock improving although still at eyewatering prices compared to the good 'ol days ....

So one of the worlds largest shipping companies are suffering a ransomeware attack. Expeditors International's entire operations are down, they can't move anything.

This will effect the cost of basically everything for the intermediate term until they can get back up and running.

https://www.securityweek.com/cyberattack-hits-global-operations-logistics-giant-expeditors-international

So I bought one of those Lenovo PC's someone posted on Bargain Alerts. It arrived already. For €1,155 - RTX 3060Ti, Ryzen 5700G, 16GB, 1TB NVME.

Pretty impressed - it was unclear from the pictures what the case would as the T5 also has a "plain" non-window version but this one is the proper glass-window with multiple RGB fans on top/front and a decent tower cooler. Really looks the part.

16GB is in dual-channel and it's got proper heatspreaders as well, though haven't checked the brand yet. PSU is a 650w+ gold. Haven't checked the brand of the NVME yet but appears from the paper-spec to be a fairly decent one.

3060Ti is your standard OEM with the cool illuminated text lighting.

All in all it's incredible value for €1,155.

• Advertisement

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Reckon the 5800/6800xt Is good enough to stream from? I'm trying to get a Pc that's capable of running complex multiplayer games (Escape from Tarkov, Rust) Stream them, record and also edit after wards. I really wanted an Intel and Nvidia build, but with the current prices and availability that's a big ask.

It would of course be excellent for that. If the discount still works at €1,600 it's incredible value. At this point in time a 6800XT and 5800 alone would cost what, €1,500?

For the extra €100 you're getting the good quality case plus fans, an excellent quality PSU, good set of 16GB ram, WiFi/BT, Motherboard, CPU cooler, 512GB NVME, legit copy of Windows.

The one I bought isn't even much better than my current PC but at that price it was a no-brainer as I prefer Nvidia. Should be easily able to sell my current PC for the same price (6700XT based)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Tried it myself just now RMN22 works. Might recommend that to my mate

Strange, earlier the code was expired but now it works. It also works for the Intel/Nvidia models. I would prefer to go with Intel and Nvidia, but it's a 10th gen Intel processor, and 12 just came out right?

I wouldn't worry about it. 11th gen was lacklustre. 10th gen is still extremely solid.

After some quick research, for what I need It's actually best to go with Nvidia as shadowplay is better than Relive (AMD). Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on of those either tomorrow or Friday

The ones I was looking at had 3070tis and 3080s I believe.

You're probably right. I should do a bit of research over the weekend and see what kind of build I can come up with and see how it compares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Prices on 3080's are dropping noticeably in the last few weeks. Have a look here for example:

I wouldn't pull the trigger until I see retail prices stable for at least a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

There is a very good chance supply issues will be getting worse with the Russia/Ukraine situation. These 2 are huge suppliers of Neon, palladium and platinum all of which are essential for microchip manufacturing. I think it's something like 80% of of the worlds neon supply which is a key part of the semiconductor Lithography manufacturing process originates from Russia/Ukraine. One company in Ukraine actually refines over half of the worlds supply of neon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

And....will there be a 40 series in September this year ? Imagine paying over the odds now and seeing a new top tier in 6 months or the arse falls out of the crypto market and a load of second hand cards flood the market .. A lot of serious decision making to be done in the next six months .

yes, I'd definitely wait until September if a build isn't needed immediately. But for someone who's about to pull the trigger on a build right now, waiting a week could save 100 euros.

Good points, but I don't think retail prices for GPUs will be impacted up in the short term due to the war. GPUs that are in the retail pipeline now and the next few weeks are already manufactured and sold on to distributors. But we could definitely see a problem for the next gen series in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looks like my motherboard died after 15 months use (MSI X570 Tomahawk Wi-fi).

Thought at first the GPU had cacked it, but the mobo can't read any RAM sticks; the debug LED points to DRAM issue even with no sticks installed.

Good thing about Amazon: I got a rep to refund me full amount in less than 5 minutes.

Will be downsizing slightly to an Asus B550 ITX and a Phanteks P200A case (49L -> 29L).

Yeah Amazon are great for refunds. I prefer to spend the extra with them to save the hassle on potential returns/refunds.

What's the current case you have ? What's your plans for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Be Quiet 500DX

Don't have the original fans so I'll put it up on Adverts for around €50 unless one of my friends wants it.

Also will have 4x Noctua NF-A12x25, 2x 8Gb DDR4-3600CL16 and a Scythe Fuma 2 on sale.

Why are you changing RAM? Surely it will work on next build. Going 32GB's?

• Advertisement

I'm considering getting an ATX case for myself, be sure to post the link on the selling personal stuff thread.

Advertisement