Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Future of Micheal Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Of course you did 😂

Next you will claim you were the Grand Marshall in the parade 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Deregos.

This is a possibly the new 'Micheálicron' variant. Symptoms may include extreme level-headedness and a slightly silly walk.

I’m sure that there’s a sensible point to your post. However, it’s evading me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

Nearly time all this Shamrock and Paddy's Day stuff at the Whitehouse was ended

Make us look like clowns I'm sure there's a more grownup way of meeting the president

I would be more concerned with the parties and TD's aligning themselves with Russia and Putin for the last few years. They are making us look like clowns as you put it.

A celebration of been Irish and keeping the links between the US & Ireland is nothing of the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I used to think that way but eventually realised that no other country in the world has the same level of access to the US president every year. The same applies to The other foreign country trips by other TDs and Ministers.

It does generate financial benefits for Ireland.

If you were to cancel the trips, what would you replace it with that would ensure the same level of exposure for our country on a global stage?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why should it end?

No other country has a guaranteed bilateral meeting with the US President every year.

It's a global news story every year and it's an opportunity for officials to sell Ireland around the world.

Anyone who thinks it should all end has no grasp of what Patrick's Day does for Ireland on a global scale.

I expect you will find all this is a political party thing, if it was another leader you will have the same people telling you how great it is etc etc etc.

I doubt anyone is silly enough not to understand how great this event is every year and how critical it is to Ireladn to keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Any country in the world would queue to take the slot. An annual meeting of the 2 countries leaders. Far bigger nations than ours don't have this luxury.

And if it does end, and US FDI is taken out of Ireland and our tax take drops you'll ve back here moaning about job losses, tax hikes and the rest.

You don't appreciate how good we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Years ago I was in a rural part of New Zealand on March 17th and there was a local Irish bar doing huge trade, everyone wearing green and having a few beers. In a country hardly known for its pub culture. If a handful decided that day to take a trip to Ireland we get an economic benefit.

Not to mention all the global landmarks lit in green for a day every year. This kind of thing doesn't happen on July 4th for the USA to the extent that it does on March 17th for us. Does the UK even have a day, I don't think that St George's Day is even a national holiday there.

Long may this last. Nice for our small country to be celebrated globally for 24 hours each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

The truth is, mega-business and multi-nationals will do business within the Irish framework if it is in their economic interest to do so, not because some eejit or another shows up with a bowl of shamrock. As for access to an American president, it's probably more to the benefit of said president as a propaganda piece with that section of the US electorate that consider themselves part-Irish as opposed to any pathway to dialogue from our perspective. A sideshow, more than anything of any merit, generating no more influence over policy and world affairs than their relevant positions already enable.

Personally, I think it's a waste of time and resources, and something that could disappear like many other 'traditions' and you'd see no difference to either your day to day life, political gains or the country's economic prospects. Biggest hit would be to whichever shamrock 'farm' and crystal bowl supplier is up for the gig each year. Upside, if you'd call it that, is that the government of the country would actually be resident on, you know, it's National Holiday........crazy thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like you I once thought that it was something of a compliment to suggest that to a woman.

One day in conversation with a radical feminist I opined such.

I was swiftly disabused of the fallacy and never made the same error again.

As I said on other thread, what other holidays do they dye the river in Chicago.

It's a great tradition and the people calling for an end to it are just the usual moan a minute people we seem to have everywhere. It doesn't matter what is going on they want to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,861 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yes but who takes radical feminists serious? (apart from you and Eoghan Mcdermot) women certainly don't

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You are so far removed from reality it's unreal.

No other country's national holiday is celebrated around the world like St Patrick's Day. Any government worth its salt would absolutely take advantage of that.

There is a big link between the US and Ireland and it has nothing to do with whoever is in the White House at that time. It's about what it represents and it's something that means a lot to a lot of businesses and Irish-Americans over there.

You also have zero concept as to how big the Irish-American community is over there and how proud they are of that. Look at Biden himself. He knows exactly who he is, where he came from and is proud of that. There are millions in the US that are the same and there isn't any other community that has the same impact over there.

"Sure someone else can take it." Yeah, grand. If you don't think a day like today has no impact on relations between Ireland and the US then you are genuinely deluded.

Biden will announce a trip over here later on today. I'm sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I never met Eoghan McDermot and I wouldn't profess to represent the views of women as you do.

I pride myself in taking all viewpoints into consideration on a wide range of subjects.

I'd converse with anyone even your good self.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,861 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thank you very much , and a merry st Patrick’s day to you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭kirk.

You're not really making any point there about business

Announcements are mostly choreographed to coincide with the visit, stuff that would happen anyway if the numbers are right

Business is about the numbers not sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think we're getting near to the point where we have to take his word for that. If he gets to the taoiseach handover, or even close to it, and is still insisting he is staying on I'd say he very likely means it. Why would he even bother taking over as tanaiste if he intends to step down as leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,118 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I hope and pray that both leaders (FG & FF) survive to lead their parties into the next GE.

It will be fascinating to see how they tell the electorate how they are a different offering.

I suspect though that J. O'Callaghan has accepted a deal that will see Martin step aside after his term if he (Jim) pipes down until he hands over to Leo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I take it for granted that the campaign won't be about FF Vs FG but more towards how they were successful managing the country during covid and how if SF were to get into power then the economic successes that have been built up will be damaged if not ruined. However, I also take it for granted that both parties have a few skeletons belonging to the other party which will be revealed close to the election.

MM will retire.

Have you read the FF and FG policies? that will give you an idea on how they differ

Really? you think we lifted the restrictions conservatively? over the course of covid if anything they bent to the pressure of the public when they should have stayed closed down. Who can forget the howls from the opposition to "Open the Pubs" and then we had the disaster at Christmas and set us back months.

Not sure what was not fully explained, the government took the advice of NPHET. The decision got made based on that advice. Plenty of discussion day in day out about government meetings etc to come to agreement on next steps. This was not just MM, how you miss that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What is this obsession with O'Callaghan (in general), he's a half-rate backbencher who when offered a ministerial role declined it rather than do the state some service

. He has achieved nothing of note in politics, and could well find himself out on his ar5e after the next election as that constituency is going to be an absolute warzone.

Post edited by For Forks Sake on

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stanley 1

As soon as MeHole has maxxed out on all his pensions he will head for the exit.

I agree fully here.

The only way they can make themselves a distinct offering is to get nasty. Fascinating really.

If FF get a new leader though I expect them to leave FG and SF to cut lumps out of each other and to try and hoover up those that are sick of it.

If they try to combine (FF and FG) to hold on to power again, it won't end well for either.

Only that he is mentioned as next leader. I maybe should have said a deal has been done to stop internal wrangling in general, not just with Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭blackwhite

FF aren't going to give the leadership to someone who is facing a major battle to hold onto his seat next time out. If Martin steps down, then McGrath is most likely successor at present

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It actually wouldn't be a bad idea for FF to just let FG and SF at it and they try come across as something in the middle and try get some votes that way. Whether it would work or not is another thing.

I am seeing that Martins visit to Letterkenny has now been cancelled, there were suppose to be protests from Mica supporters for his visit. I am sure a leader like Martin wouldn't be trying to avoid them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think he will be there next election. No real alternative. JIM has no real experience or appeal despite his appreciation of himself. Who else??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Nobody in politics as long as he is - is totally honest. Remember the scandal over nursing homes keeping pensions. He claimed he wasn't warned about it....

Advertisement