Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Future of Micheal Martin

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stanley 1

If in doubt on anything and he always is, MeHole will order up a Report and kick the ball into touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Like so many before him who wanted to be Taoiseach he’s been a non-entity from the moment he got to check it off his bucket list. He’ll retire feeling that he reached the pinnacle while simultaneously being perceived by the public as having achieved nothing during his tenure. A complete waste of everyone’s time except his.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,671 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What could he achieve ?

his hands were tied due to covid ? He took position of being the Taoiseach during covid…

literally feck all money in the till between fighting covid and now the added influx of 200,000 people arriving to house and look after. Basically the population of Cork city arriving over a few weeks… country is fücked, he’s no resources to do anything…. It’s about existing now.

he’ll retire soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He's 61 now and would be 63 at the time of the next election. FF may take time to reflect once he steps down as Taoiseach and the chances he'll continue in politics after the next election would be 50/50 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It would be a mistake to think nothing is being done about the housing crisis. Simplistic. There is a lot being done. Whether it's enough I don't know.

He wasn't a bad minister of education. He got rid of the ridiculous Irish exam for secondary teachers. Even if you didn't teach Irish you had to pass an oral exam up to 1999.

So he does have some achievements if you trawl his record but like all health ministers he failed to commit to a universal health service.

I will never forgive for sitting at the cabinet table 2000-8 fiddling while Ireland burned.

I'm just pointing out that he probably did more than you think but ultimately nothing radical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It would be a mistake to think nothing is being done about the housing crisis. Simplistic. There is a lot being done. Whether it's enough I don't know.

The housing crisis can't be solved easily or in a short period of time. Governments (national and local) over the years have chipped away at the systems in place and we are now in a position whereby there is a massive shortage of affordable homes especially in the areas of high demand.

Any claims about fixing the problem by the government or more commonly by the opposition are populist nonsense and are behind the usual reactionary tweaks which usually end up creating further problems. The problem needs long term thinking involving many different stakeholders. None of this has been done and I don't believe that it ever will regardless of the party leading government at the time.

Advertisement