Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you have room on the farm for refugees?

• 09-03-2022 12:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of us younger farmers on the forum have built a new house on the farm for ourselves, in some cases the old farmhouse still has someone living in it, but there are a good few houses empty on farms. Because they are beside the farm yard they are difficult to sell.

With a bit of a spruce up, fix a few slates/windows etc. they could be well fit for use. If anyone has such a house how could we go about getting people into it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Are you wanting to provide accommodation to refugees or just rent it out. The accom for refugees you don't get any money from anyone, idk either what rights etc they could eventually have. Say if a family ended up in the house what's to stop them from living there forever.

imho most of them would want to return home at some stage. You don't need a spare house to help, a spare bedroom in the house is enough. We've 3 spare bedrooms in the house now, they've all moved out so we are thinking of offering them. You need to register at the red cross https://registerofpledges.redcross.ie/#/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Those kind of farm houses would be ideal but I was reading about the requirements saying you need to be situated near public transport and paying all the bills(rent/mortgage/electricity/food/medical etc) so you'd need the works done promptly and the savings to ensure you can put them up for 6-12+ months. I'm not sure what kind of bus or train service you need to live near but the Red Cross said they would inspect properties beforehand. I read something vague about grants/money available in certain conditions.

The first step would be to contact the Red Cross - https://registerofpledges.redcross.ie/#/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Obviously not for exploitative purposes, but given that Ukraine grows so much grain, there must be a fair few people there with agricultural skills that are needed here. Even if only temporary for the Summer. That would be another way to help them out - give them a job in a role where they can add value and pay them a decent wage. I am surprised I haven't heard anything like that from the farming organisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

This is mainly women and kids. The men have stayed in Ukraine.

Its not going to be the simplest set up for these mothers to take up employment, but Im sure they will do their best.

I'm sure some of them can drive machinery or milk cows etc. Maybe even some mechanics.

Horticulture and processing as well. Keelings were famously bringing in Bulgarians and housing them when they were castigated at the start of Covid

• Advertisement

We have put our name down this evening. I just can't sit and do nothing or I'll go mad. 3 empty bedrooms in the house so I put that in. afaik it's mainly women and kids, most don't have a word of English, the kids if they are older usually have some high School English a bit like our french. It's wait and see now, I'll know more tomorrow or whenever they get back to me.

What's still bothering me is why is that shite box of a liar ambassador still in the country. ffs just boot him out, he is of no use to anyone now

Well done , be interested to hear how it goes , I’d say will be very rewarding , I wish I had a spare room to do the same .

They haven't the backbone to kick him out. There was some drivel last week about "maybe this week" but you see yourself he's still here. More waffle about maybe a citizens assembly on neutrality (couldn't be having a referendum) after the war. Hot air generators are all our politicians are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Despite the anger, there is always the risk of repercussions.

What happens when the Russians **** Brian McElduff out of Russia in retaliation? Or worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

Would ye have room on your farm or homes for Irish citizens?

What a shallow lot ye all are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭event

Hardly wonderful, I think more for my own sanity.

(Plus if the Weather comes good I'll have great help for the Bog 😜)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The only thing holding us back is the additional costs involved.

Things are tight enough for us but they will be entitled to social welfare payments so would a contribution to costs be doable.

We already do that. Taxes pay for houses for the ones who are too lazy to get themselves trained or educated or even work in a job they might be qualified to work in.

If they were cows in the herd, those ones would have been culled long ago and the new ones (e.g. Ukrainians) brought in and given their chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

Would lads be as ballse if Putin starts retaliation. Remember the hackers of the HSE. We are a small country with no real army. If a submarine came up the Irish sea and nuked Dublin, would lads start throwing stones at it or what. Keep the head down unless you have forty or fifty billion to waste on weapons like the yanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's still Irish citizens in Russia. A closed down Irish embassy in Moscow is fcuk all use to them. Dont think for a second it couldn't get tit for tat petty. He's been called out and shown to be a liar so just leave it there.

Agreed there's more to play for than just kicking them out. The Irish need consular assistance in russia. It could get very tough for them with the way Russia looks at Ireland these days

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

• Advertisement

If your aunt had balls......?

For example, a small nation, Iceland has no standing army, is significantly more isolated than we are geographically, has a much lower population, but IS a NATO member.

Freedom isn't free and if we don't stand for what we believe in then we stand for nothing.

Many countries have already advised their citizens to leave russia, Ireland are well behind this curve. Coveney out in the Irish Times this morning attempting to walk back the silly position on abstaining from EU weapons supply by saying Ireland HAS chosen a side, is NOT neutral, and IS supplying Ukraines military.

The Irish Government has left the Irish in Russia in a bad spot due to this Governments persistent belief in waffle, thoughts, and prayers.

One cannot be "a bit pregnant".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Have you the same anger against the US embassy seeing all the bombing they’ve done and continue to do?

Irish people have family, homes, careers, businesses there. If they're not under real threat, why would they leave? Would you leave your home tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Think it's more to do with all the Irish planes leased to the Russian airlines.

Russia have taken the planes hostage you could say and won't allow them be flown out of the country back to the Irish leasing companies.

The value of the Irish planes could be in the region of €4.5 billion.

Another reason why Russia is dunked. Who's ever going to do business with them again?

Anyway off topic on a humanitarian thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

From the site:

All properties must be close to public transport and within a short commute to villages, towns and/or cities

This would rule out a lot of farms

No not at the moment. I don't know where the US is using heavy artillery on civilians or bombing Children's Hospitals. I don't remember any US ambassador coming on RTE news and to the Dail making barefaced lie's and untruths. It's for these reasons he should be removed or else a replacement ambassador demanded at the very least, if only to call them out on it. The Russians are on a campaign of trying to spread lies and justify the even more barbaric acts. No opportunity should be missed to publicly call them out to the rest of the world and the Russian people. Its when a small country like Ireland does something it can be very significant in the eyes of the Ordinary Russian folk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Giving Ukrainians a spare room is not the answer. People are thinking with their hearts not their brains. It's a lovely gesture to accommodate these unfortunate people but how many think this through?

What happens if this war lasts 3 years and not a matter of months? What happens as food and utilities prices start to go through the roof or become limited? Are you going to hit breaking point and kick them out?

If the Ukrainians receive 200 a week, how much will the home owners ask for? There are greedy people who will want the full 200 and still claim they are doing them a favour. There will be bulls@@ters who publicly claim they won't take anything and there will be genuine people who actually won't take anything.

We are hear/know about sexual abuse cases around Ireland, I hate to think what a small percentage may have to go through with some sick freaks we have out there, you know the ones, pillars of the community, church going goody goody two shoes etc. Women will no english and stuck out in the middle of nowhere are going to be vulnerable.

How many people who are willing to give a room, have actually ever shared a house in the past? I did in college and despite meeting great people there are some seriously strange and hard to live with people. Some have horrible habits that you might put up with for a month or two but they will eventually get to you. What then?

Something better needs to be thought off. Whether it's unused hotels and hostels or governments pay for currently functioning hotels etc. For me the whole give them a spare room will be a disaster.

Here goes, I'm ready for the vast amount of insults coming my way.

Why bother with hypothetical.

Our Foreign Minister has already hung them out to dry, the correct action would have been to advise them to leave in due time.

• Advertisement

Yes, they're the ones bombing Ukraine. Its not the Russians at all 😂

The planes are a write off, they won't have the ability to maintain them, that'll lead to insurance companies saying no thanks.

No one will be leasing anything to russia again anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We would - you can call over anytime - just don't have a whole Coxey army in tow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

A lot of valid points, the old saying comes to mind "2 Hens in a Hen house is not a happy home" the offering spare room is better suited to what the OP said if there was an under used house on the farm etc... would work better. Sharing homes does not work for everyone and as we all know a lot of people are "set in their ways" and would struggle with sharing

• Advertisement

What the media won’t tell you is that it has being going on since 2014 and the Ukrainians are no saints, where was the outrage then? It’s only now that the media want you to be outraged and they’re doing a pretty good job of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Against an invading force everything is on the table, especially one that fights with the brutally and savagery of the Russian forces have demonstrated over the last 50 years.

Post edited by Danzy on

Something better needs to be thought off. Whether it's unused hotels and hostels or governments pay for currently functioning hotels etc. For me the whole give them a spare room will be a disaster.

Just to put your suggestion into perspective, there are less than 20k hotel rooms in Dublin for example. That's in total. There are currently 2.5 million refugees I think? 1% of that would be 25k people.

As regards anyone planning along the "sexual abuse" line of thinking (which I find strange that it came into anyone's head), a piece of advice might be that that lady ya might be thinking of targeting probably has brothers and father and cousins etc. who are over at the minute fighting the Russians. If some of those end up joining that lady over here afterwards, ya might find that all your years experience of threatening to throw a few drunken slaps at 3am outside the local chipper might not be a match for a fella after going through an actual war.

I think that asking people to volunteer is the quickest way to try to get some people safe and sorted. The government can then focus on the rest. The people in need don't have the luxury of having months to wait for perfection. If anyone wants to take some in then let them. If it doesn't suit some people, then no harm done.

I think 2.5 million refugees and rising speaks for itself.

Bodies of children lying in the streets dead speaks for itself.

I suppose you'll tell me the media is faking those stats and when Russia let's loose the chemical weapons it won't be their fault. The Ukrainians will have made them do it.

• Advertisement

Lots of assumptions of what you suppose I’ll tell you. I said the media will only give their side of the story.

So tell us what you think the real story is?

There is no point just being the hurler on the the ditch and automatically saying that everyone else is doing it wrong.

I understand what you are saying, and yes there will always be opportunists. I know what it's like to be on the wrong side of a bad landlord, or living with other people. As for them or us being sickos or rapists, that's a bit of a stretch. It's thinking like that is why everyone wraps there kids in cotton wool now days.

But put yourself in their shoes. Imagine standing at the side of the road in the pissing rain with nowhere to go with a couple of kids hungry, wet and cold. There's a rhetoric coming from a few posters here that somehow they are different to us, they were engaging in warfare with Russia etc

I can tell you they are no different to us except they have there lives turned upside down and left at the mercy of strangers. Yes I'm sure I'll get annoyed with the return of noise, doors banging an the ad argument, but as my Wife says, if She could put up with me and my moods for the last 30 years, the refugees will have some hope of putting up with me too!

I'm not going to be looking back at the end o my days wondering and regretting that I should have done something to help when I could.

Is there another side to this invasion. That it's really the Ukrainians who invaded Russia. Destroyed their towns, killed their children.

Do you work in Orwell Road by any chance? If not, you should

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭DBK1

I think it’s a great thing you, and everyone else that has committed to it, are doing Easten. Unfortunately circumstances here don’t allow for it but I would love to be able to do something similar.

Yes it’s not an ideal scenario, it’s not going to be simple, you may end up with a guest that gets on your nerves or whatever but they’re risks worth taking I think to try and help these people in their need. If we were in their position we’d be expecting the whole world to be there to help us so why not provide the help when it’s the other way around.

You will have lads telling you it’s not really a war, or the Ukrainians brought it on themselves, or what you’re seeing is not real and it’s just the media telling you lies or whatever other theory they come up with. And even if all them theory’s turn out to be true, it’s still not the fault of the innocent women and children that are fleeing a war zone so I definitely commend you, and anyone else doing the same, for your efforts.

@Donald Trump

When I suggested governments, I meant not just the Irish one. The EU has a polulation of 447million so Ireland makes up about 1%. Surely other countries have hotels and unused buildings that could be hired. These people need shelter and food, even community halls are better than nothing.

Regarding your comment about sexual abuse, have you never read articles about either parent abusing their kid or someone else's kid? Have you never heard of rape cases in Ireland? How about landlords offering cheaper rent for sex? Strange if you haven't.

Irish people will certainly be able to help a small amount of these people. The OP's unused farmhouse or vacant granny flats are ideal but these are limited numbers.

You neglected to comment on what happens to the Ukrainians if/when home owners get fed up of them or can't afford to keep them due to unforseen costs. What happens in this scenario?

"I think that asking people to volunteer is the quickest way to try to get some people safe and sorted. The government can then focus on the rest". You are absolutely correct but my point still stands about people thinking with their hearts not brains. This isn't a short term crysis. These people will be suffering from PTST and can you put up with crying, possible screaming from nightmares for countless nights over the next few months. Can everyone who is volunteering, actually afford the costs over the next few months. Sure some will, some won't but what happens 2/3 months from now when these households can't take it anymore. Do you think governments will have a solution in that time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

They will recieve welfare payments and you can apply for HAP payments for rent as well, which would likely cover any extra costs you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Yes, you'd in effect be renting your rooms to the new-comers, you apply to be paid HAP as their landlord. It's all detailed in the Red Cross sign up page.

HOW TO PLEDGE A ROOM IN YOUR HOME?

The shared accommodation pledge requires the pledge of a spare room in your home. Whether you have a house with a single spare room, several spare rooms or an apartment with one free room, we are interested in hearing from you. Pledges can be offered on a charitable basis or you can request to receive Housing Assistance Payment (HAP).

• Advertisement
Advertisement