Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you have room on the farm for refugees?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

I was joking with my bachelor friend the other night that it might be members of the Ukrainian lady's beach volleyball team they send over. But knowing his luck it will be two ould lads thrown on the sofa scratching themselfs . Will the home owners have to feed the refugees? Heat and supply the house from there own income? With costs the way they are it's a big ask. The first week will be exciting but a year in it could get expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Got the phone call back from the Redcross this morning. Basically they asked about the accommodation, location and what I thought we could handle. Other than that he reckons we would be down the list for elderly or needy to the lack of services but the fact that we were on a School bus run they could send a young family. But we are still well down the list as they have over 13,000 places at the moment. Some one is due out during the week to check out the place. Herself is going around cleaning and the place is like a Hotel, I have orders got to no longer come in the back door with the Wellies on, or to be expecting the refugees to be out doing the herding for me. I might end up emigrating myself now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

With 100,000 coming I can't imagine you waiting long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Do you mind me asking how long between the online pledge and when they rang you ? Did you get any acknowledgment before the phone call that your application went through?

Did you get an chance to express your preferences as to age group ?

I ask because we would have a lot of baby equipment , cot , buggy etc etc and it would make sense for us to take someone with a baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah yeah those women and children fleeing to Ireland are responsible for whatever the **** it is you're on about. You're nothing if not consistentent, every single thread seems to get twisted to suit your agenda, which I have yet to figure out but it appears to be deliberately contrarian for the sake of it.

There's people on this thread talking about making a difference to these poor people and while they may not live in an ideal location for public transport they're at least trying to put their heads together to come up with a solution and here you are going on about MSM or some other shite.

Catch yourself on.

About 2 days after I got a phone call. They have to inspect the house yet, the phone call was only a first contact to gauge what we could handle or expect but nothing committed at that stage only an indication

I got the feeling from them that they were up the walls and if any crowd needed help it was probably the Redcross themselves

Thank you for the information . I am guessing they are up to their eyes now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Calm down, the war has being going on since 2014 and everyone is entitled to their opinion, it is a discussion forum after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Wow, that's almost a cliché at this stage. Say something silly, and when anyone calls you on it act like they're being unreasonably emotional and you're just giving an opinion. As if opinions can't be bullshit. Above all never address their actual points. Classic.

If you care to search there’s a thread on boards started in 2015 on the war in Ukraine but sure it’s only happening now because the media tells you, I can find it for you if you don’t believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭DBK1

If it was going on since time began it’s irrelevant to what the people in this thread are doing by offering their homes for shelter now when it’s needed.

It’s never too late to try and help people in genuine need. Maybe you have Ukrainians living with you since 2014 when the war began and fair play to you if you do but again that’s irrelevant to the people who are offering help now. Maybe they’re not lucky enough to be as well read and educated as you that has such an insight into all the wars taking place in the world? Maybe their circumstances were different before now and they weren’t able to offer help? Or, most likely, they are offering help now as it’s only now that innocent Ukrainians started being bombed out of their homes and have to flee their country. No matter what the reason it doesn’t take from what they are doing now and when the war actually started makes no difference to that.

Do be acting like a such a p***k just for the sake of it. If you’ve that much time on your hands maybe try doing something to help someone instead of wasting your time giving bullshit opinions as an anonymous user on an anonymous forum.

Anonymous like yourself, what was that rant about? I said earlier that the war has been going in since 2014 which is a fact but the media are only latching onto it now and hyping it up, I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What was going on since 2014 was a low level conflict, a violent spat.

This is now a large conflict by global standards of the last 40 years.

The scale is greatly different and the global impact on trade and supply is the biggest from a conflict since WW2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ok lads let’s get back on topic now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I don’t dispute that but the point I’m making is the length of time it’s going on is irrelevant to this thread. If people want to help by donating a room, house etc. the length of time the war is going on makes no difference.

Sorry Blue, I only saw this after I made the last post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I live alone in a house with 2 empty bedrooms, on a bus route and on the outskirts of a village. I would like to help Ukrainians but I am worried that I would ensnare myself into a situation that would be difficult to reverse.

What I would be worried about is what happens if they refuse to leave? Or if a few months down the line, and i suspect it will be a thing, someone declares that they are pregnant. And if they are pregnant it will be so that they can become an Irish and EU citizen since the child will automatically be so.

I'd be very worried about all that. It could turn bad and if you are booting a pregnant woman and one or 2 children out on the street during a war, you'd look like a proper arse hole.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Why would they refuse to leave? Why would they have a baby of all things to become Irish or EU citizens (which doesn't actually work by the way) when they have the right to live and work in the EU already?

I mean think about it, if a war happened her that was so bad you had to flee, would you not want to come back once it was over?

• Advertisement

Maybe because they have free lodgings and if they did get pregnant you can’t kick them out.

I presume you know that the mother is not automatically entitled to Irish citizenship if her baby is born in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You have basically described the risks of renting your property in Ireland. Not too much of a stretch that that risk could be extended from renters not paying rent and having more rights to the house than their landlord.

If the government are happy to do that to landlords now (with plans to make it even worse) they are happy to extend it to any housing situation.

The government here would rather the homeowner takes all the risk and pain and loss when someone cant find a house, than step in and look after the person themselves.

That's it. I think if they refused to leave on account of being or getting pregnant, you'd end up a pariah in your community for trying to force them out if they situation in there house deteriorated. And as you say, the government could introduce something to make it even more difficult.

The other reason I could not risk taking someone or a young family in is because, while l live alone and have plenty room, I am a single man and I would have grave concerns about the optics of it if I were to accommodate a potentially vulnerable young family. There could be gossip locally that it could be seen as creepy, or there could be talk of suspicions and that stuff, even if if a flight of fancy, spreads and sticks. I'm not taking that risk.

I think that as a single man you are right in not doing it.

Others of us have families and also need to consider them.

I was considering if there was a young boy, he could bunk up with one of my lads but have come to the conclusion my lads need to have their space protected as well and their rooms for their use.

We have a room. Just need to register but need the lads input as well. At least we have a chicken run they can hide in if their feeling it too much 😁

• Advertisement

Just think about what you're saying here - You'd prefer not to help fellow humans in a desperate situation because some people, might possibly think you're creepy.

That because people might think you're heartless for trying to evict a pregnant woman in terrible circumstances, you'd instead prefer to be actually heartless by not helping them at all.

Are you really that person or do you not see it from that perspective?

I really don't want to high-road you here, but can you not see there's something inhumane in your reasoning here?

I'm a single man and see absolutely no issue or danger here. Maybe it's because I'm not rural, so people talking about me is not something I care about. Certainly not as much as the thought that I could help but just didn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I wouldn't take the chance. Human nature being what it is, there's a lot of unsavoury types out there and knowing my luck I'd get a few of them.

I've already given two good donations to Red Cross and probably will give more so it's not that I don't care. We'll also be paying more in our taxes to look after them.

Some people will be lucky enough to have a great experience by bringing people into there homes but you'd be a fool to think that all will.

I'm also convinced that we're heading into a recession so we don't know what's around the corner, people do not need extra financial commitment now

I do see both sides of it. As I say, I would like to help and I feel terrible for people who are displaced, but i feel I would be running a very high risk of landing myself in a situation where I cannot reverse out of, either because they could, potentially, refuse to leave and if the government regulate it, I am screwed. Also, I would only take in maybe a mature man who might be too old or unfit to fight in the army. I couldn't run the risk of taking a young family as I don't want rumours starting the the locality that I was trying to take advantage. God forbid if anyone turned out to be pregnant down the line, I'd be worried people would be blame me for it behind my back. If I was married myself I would feel better about that but i just cannot and will not in the current circumstance. I think it is dynamite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

This idea is stemming from the myth that government spending creates wealth. Wealth is actually coming from increasing productivity, could occur but often doesn't. Gov spending has very little impact on the Irish economy, and increasing spending risks excessive debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

You say if you were married it would be better. Sher it's then the fun would start. do you think us married lads have no battery left in our flash lamps. Another thing people are forgetting. These poor people have husband's, parents, homes ect. In the Ukraine. I know us Irish like to think we are some type of Angels and the peri hosts, But surely these people, are in a hurry to get back to there own. We taught the poles were going to break us when they came during the boom. We could do with a few the last couple of years

Some of their towns don't exist any more.

I see the Earl of Desmond in Tralee has 150 since the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,223 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The system is centralised - no? The Red Cross or someone is running it. If you get someone and it doesn't work out then I presume you call up the Red Cross and they get somewhere new for that person so that you don't just have to turf them out on the side of the road.

Anyone get an update yet, we had an initial phone call over a week ago and they said they'd follow-up with a house visit this week but we've heard nada since

I read an article yesterday on "breaking news " that they are training some army personel to help out and will be starting to phone people from Monday . Initially people with vacant homes I think

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/red-cross-to-make-contact-with-families-who-applied-to-house-ukrainians-1276083.html

How many know about this? Drug resistant TB in the Ukraine, plenty other diseases as well.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00748-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The government would have a war on their hands here if they tried that.

I wonder would it even be unconstitutional to do so?

I said that to a refugee I've gotten to know. He wondered would we regret offering to take that many.

10 million are displaced. If putin uses chemicals, everyone will leave.

I know of evangelical church leaders in mariupol who have been taken by the Russians. Dont know where they are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Easten did you hear anything from Red Cross yet? I think they are over loading with applications.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Nothing yet.

I notice a good share of the hotels have some refugees, so I`m wondering are they using them first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A neighbour had two Ukrainian people coming to stay with him, it wasn't organized by the Red Cross, a self contained granny flat in a nice rural location, when they got to Dublin they were offered accomodation in the city by some of the charities, the rural locations will probably be the last to be used

interesting..... this could be the beginning of some bad experiences for some Ukranian refugees in remote Irish homes! This Ukranian woman did not go through Red Cross and is strongly advising that people do NOT repeat her mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I doubt if Red Cross, Tusla, or the Civil service will be able to monitior what'll be going on to any degree. I know Tusla are very poor any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

My neighbours children called in today, to introduce a Ukrainian boy staying them, he and his mother. About 9 years old, he is starting in the local primary school tomorrow. He doesn't speak English, but that won't last long, seeing as the kids were getting him to repeat words after them. I've no idea how it came about, whether they are friends or through the Red Cross. We are about 4 miles from the nearest village.

The family must already have been approved by Tusla and Garda vetted if they’ve gotten minors in their care. Even with a parent.

Advertisement