Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ukraine Homes

Options
  • 10-03-2022 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭

I read there is a response from UK about our open door policy to Ukraine and we take 100000... 3

Where will they live...

Post edited by maestroamado on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I think Tìr na nÒg is due to reappear shortly. That should be able to house a few thousand nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

The reality is we dont have enough housing for people already living here. 100,000 additional people is a lot of additional demand. I expect there will be some enhancement to the rent a room scheme to help. After that, we're going to need quick and cheap solutions for at least a temporary basis (modular homes, mobile homes etc.) until we can get supply sorted.

Of course, we could just force people into becoming landlords. We're already close to banning existing landlords from leaving, so its not too much of a stretch. Watch out for those "temporary emergency" measures - they tend to stick around for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is not known yet how many will come, or for how long. This rubbish about how we can't house our own won't fly. As members of the EU we are going to have to muck in. Given that we are not NATO members and don't spend on defence or contribute much militarily to European security the least we will be expected to do is offer humanitarian aid.

If things stabilise in Ukraine and refugees can go home, it will only have been a tenporary problem. If tens of thousands of refugees become long term residents, that is something else again.

The State will have to get its act together regarding housing and spatial planning, the speed of provision of infrastructure and costs of providing infrastructure.

Peace talks have started over there. It may be the case that cooler heads will be able to hammer out some sort of a deal before thing escalate and other countries get sucked in. If the fighting ceases, there should be no need for anything close to 100k refugees to come here as those people will be needed to help with rebuilding. We can be hopeful.

If that doesn't happen, I think that it will be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Refugees who plan to return usually stay close to border they crossed. That means Russia, Belarus, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Moldova.

Majority of refugees who move further away from home may have lost everything or simply want a change, these people do not intend to come back. So whatever number will come in here you can bet that most of them will want to stay. Which is quite understandable. Social welfare here is more than they can earn in most of jobs over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If that doesn't happen, I think that it will be a disaster.

Yeah I mean in theory the ultimate ceiling on this is the entire 45M population of Ukraine (+any other countries the bould Vlad decides to invade)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

12,000 people have registered housing offers in their homes with the Irish red cross at the last count, that's more than enough to cope with the current demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think it's great and 12000 people have signed up... Going forward the people who stay will need homes... Who will provide for this... Like a plan...

majority of Balkan war refugees went home, including those that came to Ireland.

No I don't bet that most of them will want to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

worst-case scenario we will build tent cities on public land just like refugee camps in other countries. The Phoenix park would be an option as there is a lot of space there.

• Advertisement

I think that this is a perfectly reasonable proposal. These people are not immigrants; they're war refugees from what will (hopefully) be a temporary conflict. If I left Ireland for same reasons, I'd just be happy to have shelter without the fear of death before I returned home.

However, what I greatly fear is that certain groups are going to try to profit from this latest episode of human misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Even if they all left the housing crisis is not going to be fixed any time soon.

If a Ukrainian or other emigrant gets a job, is that considered Co-habiting from a welfare/tax point of view, if they are staying in your household?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

@patnor1011 "Social welfare here is more than they can earn in most of jobs over there." But the cost of living here is a lot higher, nowhere near covered by social welfare payment. People are also going on about the receipt of medical cards, but again try get a GP to take you on and your first experience waiting 12+ hours in A&E will dampen that freebie right down.

This conversation goin slightly different direction than I intended as I was more thinking we need be responsible taking people in without papers unless we can offer them a future better than an welfare...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

And if you think thats going to happen I have some grass that i want to sell you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If I think what is going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know several people i work with who pledged rooms in their houses. When they sat back and thought about it though they realized they didnt think it through and wont be going forward with it.

People already struggling and gas and electricity and petrol to increase like nobodies business. Then food to go up.

You'll have one or more people in your house all the time. Heating on, feeding them.

Its all very noble, and you really feel for the refugees, but there is a reality to this. Can people afford to take in refugees. Will they be able to afford it going forward.

If you get to be friends with the people in your house it would be very hard to show them the door when you start to struggle or find that you no longer feel like you have space in your own home. And what do you say when they go looking for alternative accommodation when the times comes and they find out, as so many irish people are at this very moment finding out when they go to move, that they cant find accommodation on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The red cross did the same for Syrians, I think a lot were rejected or just didn't follow up.

Someone can correct me but I think it's possible people arriving without papers are Irish if they want to be...

I personally would not take in a refugee unless they were someone whom I knew. This may seem a little cold, but I simply would not be comfortable with letting a total stranger into my home, and I cannot imagine that many people would be comfortable with that.

In truth, I think that the housing of 100k refugees in private homes will be a non starter. At best, most people who could do this would only be able to take in one or maybe two people tops, and only for a limited time. How many would have the space or the means to take in a whole family? If the Irish state is to take in such numbers, the powers that be need a plan on what to do with them or there will be a disaster on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know this might come across as an "I'm alright Jack" comment, but remember those many many cubicles for the Covid vax in places like Citywest? Could they be repurposed in the short term as a place to sleep and wash and be fed? A lid on top of the cubicle and a proper door would give privacy. Red Cross or whoever could supply food via our donations. Those centres were set up really fast and fair dues at the time, what is happening to them now though?

I know it is not ideal. But if these places are idle why not?

Good idea...

My concern for the people that arrive from homes... Can they have a home here if they stay long term...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Buy the dip! Time to get into the ukrainian property market. Due to bounce back any day now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

We certainly should be helping those in need and I don't object to Ukrainian refugees getting help, but what grates my ears is how people who are keen to take very large numbers are the same people whinging about the government failing on house prices. Policy has consequences.

There's nothing new in that. The Irish electorate has consistently voted in either neo-liberal or leftist parties election after election and stood by whilst the civil service was packed to the rafters with legions of the same.

Furthermore, no debate is allowed in the public sphere, and those who even try to call attention to uncomfortable elephants in the room can have their lives destroyed by twitter mobs. In many ways, the Irish have damned themselves. I suppose it's all well and good if you're living in a mortgage free house with a pension on the way, but that will be paid for by younger generations who have been used to fund these benefits through debt.

I guess we reap what we sow, eh....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Ah here, no debate is allowed? seriously? the public have been asking for change for quite a while now

I don't think that I can even point out what I'm referring to without getting the thread closed. Read between then lines, if you know what I mean :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

IIRC after the dust had settled on that there were less than 100 households that took them in. Alot of your lofty D4 types would have screenshot their pledge and posted it on whatever.com platform just for the loikes.

One thing we could do in this country to help with these refugees is for government to come up with a programme to house them in holiday homes, there are thousands of these sitting idle for months upon months all around our coastlines. Offer owners free LPT charges for a few years in return for housing them, add a sweetener of covering holiday home insurance, etc... to make it attractive.

This would have the benefits of helping the refugees and also not putting further pressure on accommodation rental prices, hotel room prices and also the housing market.

If Govt instruct that houses or hotel rooms are bought up to cater for the refugees this will put further pressure on rent, house prices and hotel nights - the Government won't be forgiven for it.

• Advertisement

I remember that. There was an initial surge of virtue signaling, and then it died down. Apparently, 17k have signed up to take in a refugee. I wonder how many will follow up on the offer. I'd say many will change their mind, and I don't think we're quite so far gone as to force it on to people.

Advertisement