Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine Homes

Options

Comments

Would that be bad thing? Anything to give shelter to the refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

This situation reminds me of the time I studied Lifeboat Ethics by Garreth Hardin.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

Has anyone who registered with the red cross not heard from them yet? Pledged accommodation for parent and 2 to 3 kids as we have a lot of space but have heard nothing except an email a couple of weeks ago thanking me and saying they'd be in touch. Seems very slow but presumably they're working through the list of accommodation offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We didnt even get an e mail . We pledged a vacant house and heard absolutely nothing . Now beginning to wonder if it even was submitted

Now it was in the form of an automated email but it assured me at least that my pledge was made correctly. Maybe u could pledge again just in case it didn't go through? You'd imagine a vacant house would be snapped up for a family.

• Advertisement

Families taking in children to private homes have to be vetted. That might cause a delay. You don’t want to end up like this lady https://tippfm.com/news/tipperary-woman-urges-people-use-official-channels-taking-ukrainians/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve heard it will take time. Very good of you to offer.

Yep, I hope they vet out all the moral old wans! Noone wants to live with that 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Field east

I have offered similar accommodation to Red Cross but got nothing back. I was expecting an acknowledgement. Is there a number I can ring just to get a confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Field east

If we wait until ‘ all the boxes are ticked’ we could be waiting for a long time. In the meantime you have people who got no notice in a foreign country to ‘leave their houses immediately’ - and taking only what they can carry. We did not wait for all the boxes to be ticked. We did not wait for all the boxes to be ticked first. We managed issues as they arose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

35000 extra homes may be required for Ukrainian refugees. Say whatever you want but time this government is reeled in. There are young professionals in this country who are afraid to have any more than 2 kids because they can't afford it, more are putting off kids until late in life to try and give themselves a chance to get their housing needs sorted, we are putting our lives on hold, and now we have to listen to a housing minister say that we will be in direct competition for these "extra 35000" houses. Say what you want about this post but the housing minister can get fu@ked, and FF and FG with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,865 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Right, this won’t be forgotten by a lot of people…

as I’ve said before, there will never be a day in any of our existence where on this planet war doesn’t exist, poverty doesn’t exist…

2.5 billion

“Mr McGrath said the costs will be paid for from the contingency fund set aside for Covid-19, but that some of that reserve may still be needed to deal with the pandemic this year.”

so in other words the health needs of taxpayers is now secondary.

Not sure if there was a number on the email I received, will check in morning and let you know. Odd that you also didn't receive an email like iamwhoiam. The process seems very chaotic but I suppose thats to be expected with the numbers coming in to the country.

I don’t think many young Irish families would live 3 and 4 to a room in a former convent! Sharing bathrooms and common areas with fellow country folk, who are strangers.

Personally, I’m proud of the many Irish people going above and beyond in efforts to give refugees a safe roof over their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I agree with you but we have allowed it to happen... the property market is completely controlled by interested groups and international pension funds etc...

The Government will do nothing about it until we the people insist that they do... I kinda knew from the start that us taking 100,000 people would have knock-on effect... I do agree we should take as many as possible but not be in competition for scarce housing resource...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

If the alternative were to live with the possibility of dying in missile strike, I think any sane individual would take the former convent. The only thing that refugees need is refuge. When the conflict abates, which I think could be soon if peace talks progress, they can be sent home.

For my own part, if Ireland were invaded, I would not be leaving. However, if I had to, I would happy to take any shelter offered to me, and I would be extremely grateful to those who provided it, which I'm sure most of the genuine refugees will be.

@[Deleted User] Your referring to the temporary accommodation. I'm referring to the house's the mínister is talking about building. Irish people shouldn't have to live in temporary accommodation. I am of the opinion that refugees should live in temporary accommodation , until such time it is safe to return home. It is a safe environment where medical and other basic needs are met. We are not responsible for providing jobs, housing, health and educational needs for them. We can't even do it for our own. Some people need to wake up actually think about what will happen if the big numbers come in here. It's a sham. No one, no one should be given an open invitation to come here, no matter where they are coming from. Temporary accommodation and humanitarian aid is what our "responsibility" is, not providing homes and citizenship..........which is the next thing they will push.

I would like to give this post two thanks, but I cannot. 100% agreed.

I think that’s the idea. Temporary accommodation for up to 3 years.

I’ve long held the opinion that the housing crisis isn’t as bad as some would have us believe. The Erica/Margaret antics showed that. I’m from a mentality that it’s up to me to house and care for my children. Not the Government. Personal responsibility seems to have disappeared.

Yes, I’m aware that some young couples are struggling, but do they HAVE to live in their desired area?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Never mind desired area, even within 60 miles of it is a problem.

Where do you imagine the houses are even to choose from?

Where is there any housing stock, even that's barely fit for use, that's up for sale or rent in number to meet demand in area?

You must live in the real world as well.

• Advertisement

I think maybe the pledges that were done early in the process got no e mail when submitted . I have two friends who also got no e mail . One friend e mailed them twice and phoned the number just to get reassurance that her pledge went through . She got no reply at all from either

Now I fully understand that they are really busy and overwhelmed but I also think a contact of some description should be made

We are left hanging not knowing if we should start stocking the house etc

People are offering us things as the house is furnished but no delph , bedding etc in it . We cant take anything because we have no idea if the Red Cross will even want it . It’s frustrating for us as if they dont we would put it on the market .

One friend has a lovely granny flat which she pledged , she is also left hanging for weeks when she would have rented it if she just knew .

At this stage we are getting a little frustrated and annoyed if I am completely honest that we had no contact whatsoever

This is the number I found to contact them .

NEED MORE INFORMATION?

If you have any questions or would like to discuss the process in more detail, call the Irish Red Cross Migration Team or send us an email:

01-642 4600

registerofpledges@redcross.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

You are completely out of touch with reality if this is your thinking

It is absolutely the responsibility of the individual to care for themselves and for their family, but the state is actively impeding this. I do not want anything from the state except that it leaves me alone and keeps the roads in good order, but instead we have a broken property market that has been deliberately set up to favour the interests of a select group at the cost of the average working man or woman.

Regarding leaving one's desired area, that is a point that gets raised often. In a sane market, if one cannot afford to live in a given area, then they yes, they would have to leave it. However, we do not have a sane market. People leaving the area that they know and are familiar with is unhealthy for all concerned. It prices the locals out of the less expensive area and erodes the community in the said area as the "blow ins" will have no ties thereto. It also ignores the elephant in the room of just why people are forced to do this.

Update . We submitted a pledge on March 10 th and Red Cross just phoned and they will arrange a meeting . No other information at all just a quick call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd say the vast majority of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland are joining family already living here. It's probably down to one extra bed, somewhere in a house already occupied. I would find it hard to believe that Ukrainian refugees are finding housing in the Dublin rental sector with ease, or have the money for it, - unless they have a job offer lined up or belong to the upper class in the Ukraine and have funds in Euros stashed away in a foreign country.

That's great iamwhoiam. I had just logged on to share my email details with you but no need now. Good luck with the meeting.

Thank you ! I am just hoping we have an opportunity to say what age group we would prefer . We have all equipment for under 2 years old plus bags of clothes for a girl . It would make sense for us to take a baby as we have a cot , buggy , highchair etc all in the house

I will keep you all updated if we hear any more from them

I bet if the government offered temporary accommodation for 3 years to young working professionals living in Dublin or Cork or anywhere for that matter, let's say...... I dunno.... Cap it at 200,000, in old convents and schools instead of them having to pay landlords a grand each monthfor a room share ( it might even give them a chance to save a deposit for their own place) , I bet a scheme like that would be welcomed by the Irish people. A scheme that looked after their health also and their education, I'd love to see that. But I bet we would be told that the cost would be prohibative, that policy couldn't allow it........ Remember one man's rent is another man's income!! Would you agree to something like that mayanne84 or would that be too lenient on our own young people?

• Advertisement

Do please keep us posted, would be interested to know for ourselves what to expect. Thanks.

Advertisement