Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine Homes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am glad the Irish government is stepping up to help in an emergency situation. I have no idea what I would do if the situation were reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am also happy we are doing our bit... the positive knock-on effect means we will have to have a more mature attitude to housing people... Its a complete turn around from giving tax breaks to cuckoo/vulture funds buying up our housing stock...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Theyve turned over hosing Irish people to private landlords years ago. Thats why the private landlords are leaving the market. They just cant do it and then get punished for not being able to do it.

With the refugees the state will look after them themselves, with tax payers money obviously. Probably just pay REITs or hotels to house them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,979 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Look im happy to see we are opening our arms to these people, what they are coming from is awful.

But you are going to see alot of solutions found and fast tracked to the housing crisis that apparently weren't possible before. It's amazing what can be achieved when you aren't protecting REITS and commerical interests.

Is the actual state going to be building 10,000's of homes now and not give away our housing to the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The only way they are going to be building houses is if the money comes from Europe. The middle income tax payer will be crucified even more than they are already. They will also rent entire hotels. Taking those hotels out of the tourism pot, so tourists are going to find that it will cost them more to come to Ireland, effecting the entire sector. There is no easy fix for this. Things are going to get hairy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭enricoh

It'll cost on average 33k a head to house each Ukrainian in a hotel for a year according to an article last week. It'll be very tempting for hotel owners to sign up - No quiet months in the winter. I think the yanks will stay away this year due to the war n Europeans won't pay for increased rooms n meals.

I heard anecdotally builders are slowing down as materials n labour are going too high to make a profit. Plenty will jump into converting places for refugees instead - I've no doubt it'll be a Klondike for the builders!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

All this is starting to make me feel really angry towards the government. Myself and my wife have spent thousands seeking planning to build our own house and have been met by constant setbacks in terms of gray area policy and red-tape. Now at the drop of a hat, they are going to repurpose buildings for accommodation that were never before deemed suitable. Our fight will still go on to build our house in our country for our family and we will still be met by hurdle after hurdle. I cannot fathom why this government seems hell bent on making it hard for its own tax paying citizens. I don't have an issue with using my tax to house genuine Ukrainian refugees but for gods sake let the government stop treating its own house hunting citizen's with such distain. Give us a chance for ffs, and I guarantee that the policy's around the housing of refugees would be warmly welcomed as opposed to being devisive.

Completely unrelated to each other. Unless you wish to be housed in an old army barracks or national school, then arriving refugees have no impact on you or your housing situation.

The fact is, government do not want one off houses being build in the countryside, so it is much harder to get planning. I'm sure you will get there.

Are you trying to say that our elected government that has made no effort to resolve the housing crisis but instead are giving tax breaks to corporations to buy our housing stock... This same Government can house people that need homes and this is great... Now if these things are not related??? they all have the same need a home...

I expect there is huge international funding coming on board for this and out Government want in on it...

Exactly what do you think the Government want regarding housing... also what is the plan... i think if people say they don't want something they need to have a clear plan...

• Advertisement

I disagree that they are unrelated. To my eyes they have repurposed buildings for housing, I'm sure if planning was sought for this repurpos, it would run contrary to acceptable planning practice in these areas due to services, transport etc. By the way, my house may be a one off but the area is fully serviced for domestic dwellings and already contains all services required for a domestic build. Therfore, if they house the Ukrainian refugees at the drop of a hat and change a buildings designation for them, why can't they do it for me? And while I have no doubt you will disagree, I feel that the rules can be changed for them but it feels like once again I'm being given the 2 fingers. Essentially, the government will change it for them and not me. That's what I'm annoyed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭uli84

This must be really frustrating, I totally feel for you to be honest.

Have a look at prime time on now and later on +1...

Different rules for different things basically.

I agree that there are rules and should be... This being the case an architect should in most cases know what's allowed... Like a proper planning system...

It's not "different" rules. It's actually changing the rules. The planning process is there for a reason. The housing of refugees should not change that. Every county has its development plan with its constraints laid out. If buildings are being repurposed for one cohort, why are measures not being relaxed for others? I'd actually take the same measures being relaxed for the individual! I know of 2 couples who were refused planning on the conversion of old school houses. It beggars belief that 1 county will let you convert and another won't but now it seems " sure, these poor people need housing". Let me tell you, there are plenty of "these poor people" that need housing already living hear and our screams fall on deaf ears! As we have seen...... Rules can change very quickly when needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

This isnt true. The legal changes regarding funds simply brought legal treatment of REITS to the European norms. There was not special Irish tax breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wow . Women and children and eldery and disabled are fleeing from a brutal war and people quibble about it

Look what the Polish people have done and Moldovian people taking them into their homes and sharing what little they have .

I think we should help them, but Poland is not a poor country anymore. Very much middle income.

A lot of people may be unaware that is illegal for people normally to live in schools or barracks so it is not normally possible. Id favour deregulation myself and allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ordinary people have put themselves out taking people in , feeding them and clothing them and helping them rest . When you are face to face with the reality of war and it’s devastating effect on children and women and eldery then you reach out and help . Things have to be fast tracked and ajusted to get them out of the cold and helped

• Advertisement

This is also likely true... we also need to remember that a large number of cities in Europe are more populated than Rep of Irl...

Forgot to say that article is 4 years old around the time i became really aware of the Cuckoo/vulture funds buying up...

Post edited by maestroamado on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 canuckle

200k was mentioned on the news last night. Also noted was the exact wording, "yadda yadda until we build them PERMANENT homes".

Who's to say it won't be 300k? Why not? Less? Who knows? This is the experimental land of geese brains, after all, no number too large, no cheque too small.

Energy crisis, housing crisis, covid doing the numbers, and then an extra cork city amount of people is dropping in? Minus the city?

Schools, energy, hospitals, housing, welfare, facility, recreation, transport. Oh yeah, we're ready for this. They'll only stay in lala land with potential eyewatering valued homes up for grabs and welfare out the ass until they can skip back to a nearly third world country that's also now a war destroyed third world country. You bet. Very likely.

Honestly, at this point the country deserves to sink under the weight of the greed of some and infantile stupidity of others. This could very well be the torpedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Every single RTE broadcaster on 100k or more should be made to take in a ukrainian family....Ryan Tubridy should take in a small village and be transferred to kyiv to report on happenings there.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Great idea Healy Ray's can take 100 since they own Kerry... all the Dail landlords can take a few...Leo has started and its all about leadership... lead by example...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I agree we have to help but there are valid questions regarding the impact of this.

Migration, especially on this scale always drives wage growth down, demand up, limits accomodation options. The impact will be to Ireland becoming a much harder place to live, much more ultra free market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The problem is that whatever the problem is the progressive activists are never the ones dealing with the consequences or challenge, it's just all about riding in as the saviour, until they get bored and move on to next topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 canuckle

Let's see how many the politicians take in too, seeing as a chunk of them are landlords, not counting their family connections that are landlords. No prizes for guessing.

The below is what they'll use to hide behind. It's perfect in it's simplicity.

Were people to get out on the street to protest the ever worsening housing crisis, even if refugees weren't mentioned, an immediate wall of shame woukd be cast down on them "look at these racist irish! Now look at these poor refugees!" Who wants to have their face shown on social media or rte to have their lives shamed and scrutinised? Best not do anything about the housing crisis then, don't mention social housing re-prioritisation, don't notice how they could build for others what they wouldn't for you, don't notice the increased cost of living, be an imbecile, in other words. A nice, quiet, always pays on time imbecile.

It's beautiful, it's effective. It's disgraceful. And it's a problem that we better start getting to grips with. Making fools of you, every day of the week.

Not that I should need to display virtue about the horrible plight of the people in Ukraine, but I do need to do so, in case a 5 year old comes along to call me naughty and cry. That said, what's arriving into this country soon is the single biggest, best excuse the lads could ever have wished for, a bullet proof shield of deflection away from the cute hoors officially and unofficially running this country into the ground.

Watch it, see how it unfolds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The racism, dog whistled or overt, can stop immediately - there are posters who seem to think that CA rules apply here, they absolutely don't

Anyone who tries to blame the housing crisis here on immigration or refugees can go find a different forum to do it.

Do not reply to this post.

It is worth mentioning that the Paris Accord carbon emission rules are based on absolute emissions, not per capita. You'd hope wed get some kind of dispensation for taking in a lot of people + fast population growth rate.

I dont agree with all the posters on this thread but I have to say it is pleasing to see that there is no racism. Keep it up.

• Advertisement

Advertisement