Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ukraine Homes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've gotten to know some of them. They are educated, worked at home and want to work here.

Some have good English, others will learn.

Most left, husbands,sons and parents back home. Not to mention nice homes and businesses which are now rubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wish we could take people in. But we just don’t have room. I feel awful for families having to leave everything they know to come here. Wish we could help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Its beginning to look like Russia looking for compromise... game up for Putin... get to fcuk out of Crimea... this should have happened in 2014... Next Palestine....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

canuckle - do not post in this thread again. Do not attempt to bring the content you were pushing here to another thread in this forum.

Thread cleaned up after ridiculous off-topic diversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You can help in other ways . We are hoping to give a home to a family but I know we will need help. We will need help from others with supplies and lifts and lots of other little ways to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

The bottom line is the government need to cap the numbers. It is unacceptable that theses refugees be put into permanent housing that is financed by the state when there is a housing crisis currently ongoing. Repurposed temporary dwellings is where we currently are and without appropriate planning and consideration for communities and their amenities, that where we should stay for the moment. I am all for helping them and if some wish to stay and integrate into our society then good for them, I think they need a helping hand right now but I do fear that many of them will stay when they see how cushy our state is with benefits. There are alot of people making money from this, from hoteliers to catering and others who will try to keep this gravy train going and lambast those with genuine concerns as racist.

Do you not understand that this is an emergency situation? Do you not get that?

A number of the buildings being used for refugees are disused living accommodation in convents, schools, etc. Nuns are dwindling in numbers and have left habitable buildings for a more centralised community.

Examples of convents here in Tipperary are

https://tippfm.com/news/religion/sisters-mercy-offer-templemore-convent-ukrainian-refugees/

https://tippfm.com/news/international/fethard-playing-part-ukrainian-refugee-crisis/

And in Cork https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40834853.html

I do! I also need to acknowledge the fact that there is and has been for some time now, an emergency crisis in housing,and an under funding in healthcare, school provision and childcare as well as issues with people affording old age care and nursing home fees. Do you not get that? Or do you just want to put your head in the sand and invite 200 thousand people into a country that is under serious pressure as it stands! Wake up, while every effort should be made to help a set number of these people, every effort should also be made to help our own, actually more of an effort should be made for our own, especially the net contributors to the country's tax base.

In response to Mary Anne 84,And they are the accommodations that we should be using, but these refugees should not under any circumstances be move into state assisted housing through the hap scheme. This is a real concern for working people seeking affordable accommodation. And it's a very valid concern!

• Advertisement

I think that you are overreacting. The refugees will be allowed stay and work in Ireland for up to three years. They’re being housed in disused, but habitable buildings for the most part.

You are not correct in that. Those staying with families make up a number. Most are actually ( currently anyways) being housed in hotels until such accommodations are ready. I disagree that I'm overreacting. Do you think 200 thousand is an acceptable number? If you do I disagree.

If refugees are arriving with children, they cannot be placed with families until Garda clearance and other welfare checks are made. The suggested figure of refugees is 100,000. Not 200,000. For a maximum of 3 years. I don’t think that it’s unreasonable in these unprecedented, emergency times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think we have to help but people should be in no doubt the pressure it will put in housing, the downward pressure on wages, the extreme pressure on health. Education and other services.

It will mean less public services and a more cut throat free market society.

No doubt it will fall harder on those here who have least and may well benefit the middle class and up were most of those talking about solidarity and internationalism tend to be.

It's worth understanding that it will fall hard on all people here but hardest on the bottom half.

I read up the page somewhere that 2 houses in a development was allocated to Ukranian families which is fine... what i cannot understand id there is no plan for housing and there seems to be no plan for this either we just "wing it" as usual...

I expect there be world funding for this so the money not an issue short term... then whoever decides to stay will be the same as us and be allowed whatever is going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Of course there is no plan. 3 months ago, the scenario which has now developed was not even contemplated. In the early 1940s, bomb shelters were built in Dublin and they plan was drawn up to move the population of Dublin to rural areas in the event of bombing in Dublin. They took almost 2 years to draw up the plan by which time the danger had in fact passed.

Like her a lot, the Ukrainians are coming. They will take up resources which might have been given to Irish people are indeed refugees from other areas. When Ireland joined the European communities 50 years ago, it was the poorest country. Now it is one of the richest.. We have been drinking at the bar all night and now we have to buy our round!

We have being drinking and wasting the money we got on drink... we have the worst road/rail and public transport network of anywhere i have visited... Our health service is a mess but i cannot compare... We are still sitting at the bar... Its sad really as we should be the best country in the world.

Since you mentioned joining EU i was recently talking to a guy in a BAR and his daughter is teaching in the capital... lives sharing in North side... he said apart from the fact that he had to share a bedroom with a mate things now pretty much the same flat wise as he lived in early 1970s.

I agree with you about buying the round.... but i do not think we should not have a plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Predictable really although the report doesn't state the number of people that this tented village could accommodate. Realistically, we have the existing public owned land to probably have a few of these dotted around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

My point is I can see a number of these may have to be erected if we get to a number such as 200,000.

Would that be bad thing? Anything to give shelter to the refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

This situation reminds me of the time I studied Lifeboat Ethics by Garreth Hardin.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

Has anyone who registered with the red cross not heard from them yet? Pledged accommodation for parent and 2 to 3 kids as we have a lot of space but have heard nothing except an email a couple of weeks ago thanking me and saying they'd be in touch. Seems very slow but presumably they're working through the list of accommodation offers.

We didnt even get an e mail . We pledged a vacant house and heard absolutely nothing . Now beginning to wonder if it even was submitted

Now it was in the form of an automated email but it assured me at least that my pledge was made correctly. Maybe u could pledge again just in case it didn't go through? You'd imagine a vacant house would be snapped up for a family.

• Advertisement

Families taking in children to private homes have to be vetted. That might cause a delay. You don’t want to end up like this lady https://tippfm.com/news/tipperary-woman-urges-people-use-official-channels-taking-ukrainians/

I’ve heard it will take time. Very good of you to offer.

Yep, I hope they vet out all the moral old wans! Noone wants to live with that 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Field east

I have offered similar accommodation to Red Cross but got nothing back. I was expecting an acknowledgement. Is there a number I can ring just to get a confirmation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Field east

If we wait until ‘ all the boxes are ticked’ we could be waiting for a long time. In the meantime you have people who got no notice in a foreign country to ‘leave their houses immediately’ - and taking only what they can carry. We did not wait for all the boxes to be ticked. We did not wait for all the boxes to be ticked first. We managed issues as they arose

• Advertisement

35000 extra homes may be required for Ukrainian refugees. Say whatever you want but time this government is reeled in. There are young professionals in this country who are afraid to have any more than 2 kids because they can't afford it, more are putting off kids until late in life to try and give themselves a chance to get their housing needs sorted, we are putting our lives on hold, and now we have to listen to a housing minister say that we will be in direct competition for these "extra 35000" houses. Say what you want about this post but the housing minister can get fu@ked, and FF and FG with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Right, this won’t be forgotten by a lot of people…

as I’ve said before, there will never be a day in any of our existence where on this planet war doesn’t exist, poverty doesn’t exist…

2.5 billion

“Mr McGrath said the costs will be paid for from the contingency fund set aside for Covid-19, but that some of that reserve may still be needed to deal with the pandemic this year.”

so in other words the health needs of taxpayers is now secondary.

Not sure if there was a number on the email I received, will check in morning and let you know. Odd that you also didn't receive an email like iamwhoiam. The process seems very chaotic but I suppose thats to be expected with the numbers coming in to the country.

I don’t think many young Irish families would live 3 and 4 to a room in a former convent! Sharing bathrooms and common areas with fellow country folk, who are strangers.

Personally, I’m proud of the many Irish people going above and beyond in efforts to give refugees a safe roof over their heads.

I agree with you but we have allowed it to happen... the property market is completely controlled by interested groups and international pension funds etc...

The Government will do nothing about it until we the people insist that they do... I kinda knew from the start that us taking 100,000 people would have knock-on effect... I do agree we should take as many as possible but not be in competition for scarce housing resource...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

If the alternative were to live with the possibility of dying in missile strike, I think any sane individual would take the former convent. The only thing that refugees need is refuge. When the conflict abates, which I think could be soon if peace talks progress, they can be sent home.

For my own part, if Ireland were invaded, I would not be leaving. However, if I had to, I would happy to take any shelter offered to me, and I would be extremely grateful to those who provided it, which I'm sure most of the genuine refugees will be.

@[Deleted User] Your referring to the temporary accommodation. I'm referring to the house's the mínister is talking about building. Irish people shouldn't have to live in temporary accommodation. I am of the opinion that refugees should live in temporary accommodation , until such time it is safe to return home. It is a safe environment where medical and other basic needs are met. We are not responsible for providing jobs, housing, health and educational needs for them. We can't even do it for our own. Some people need to wake up actually think about what will happen if the big numbers come in here. It's a sham. No one, no one should be given an open invitation to come here, no matter where they are coming from. Temporary accommodation and humanitarian aid is what our "responsibility" is, not providing homes and citizenship..........which is the next thing they will push.

I would like to give this post two thanks, but I cannot. 100% agreed.

I think that’s the idea. Temporary accommodation for up to 3 years.

I’ve long held the opinion that the housing crisis isn’t as bad as some would have us believe. The Erica/Margaret antics showed that. I’m from a mentality that it’s up to me to house and care for my children. Not the Government. Personal responsibility seems to have disappeared.

Yes, I’m aware that some young couples are struggling, but do they HAVE to live in their desired area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Never mind desired area, even within 60 miles of it is a problem.

Where do you imagine the houses are even to choose from?

Where is there any housing stock, even that's barely fit for use, that's up for sale or rent in number to meet demand in area?

You must live in the real world as well.

• Advertisement

I think maybe the pledges that were done early in the process got no e mail when submitted . I have two friends who also got no e mail . One friend e mailed them twice and phoned the number just to get reassurance that her pledge went through . She got no reply at all from either

Now I fully understand that they are really busy and overwhelmed but I also think a contact of some description should be made

We are left hanging not knowing if we should start stocking the house etc

People are offering us things as the house is furnished but no delph , bedding etc in it . We cant take anything because we have no idea if the Red Cross will even want it . It’s frustrating for us as if they dont we would put it on the market .

One friend has a lovely granny flat which she pledged , she is also left hanging for weeks when she would have rented it if she just knew .

At this stage we are getting a little frustrated and annoyed if I am completely honest that we had no contact whatsoever

This is the number I found to contact them .

NEED MORE INFORMATION?

If you have any questions or would like to discuss the process in more detail, call the Irish Red Cross Migration Team or send us an email:

01-642 4600

registerofpledges@redcross.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

You are completely out of touch with reality if this is your thinking

It is absolutely the responsibility of the individual to care for themselves and for their family, but the state is actively impeding this. I do not want anything from the state except that it leaves me alone and keeps the roads in good order, but instead we have a broken property market that has been deliberately set up to favour the interests of a select group at the cost of the average working man or woman.

Regarding leaving one's desired area, that is a point that gets raised often. In a sane market, if one cannot afford to live in a given area, then they yes, they would have to leave it. However, we do not have a sane market. People leaving the area that they know and are familiar with is unhealthy for all concerned. It prices the locals out of the less expensive area and erodes the community in the said area as the "blow ins" will have no ties thereto. It also ignores the elephant in the room of just why people are forced to do this.

Update . We submitted a pledge on March 10 th and Red Cross just phoned and they will arrange a meeting . No other information at all just a quick call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd say the vast majority of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland are joining family already living here. It's probably down to one extra bed, somewhere in a house already occupied. I would find it hard to believe that Ukrainian refugees are finding housing in the Dublin rental sector with ease, or have the money for it, - unless they have a job offer lined up or belong to the upper class in the Ukraine and have funds in Euros stashed away in a foreign country.

That's great iamwhoiam. I had just logged on to share my email details with you but no need now. Good luck with the meeting.

Thank you ! I am just hoping we have an opportunity to say what age group we would prefer . We have all equipment for under 2 years old plus bags of clothes for a girl . It would make sense for us to take a baby as we have a cot , buggy , highchair etc all in the house

I will keep you all updated if we hear any more from them

I bet if the government offered temporary accommodation for 3 years to young working professionals living in Dublin or Cork or anywhere for that matter, let's say...... I dunno.... Cap it at 200,000, in old convents and schools instead of them having to pay landlords a grand each monthfor a room share ( it might even give them a chance to save a deposit for their own place) , I bet a scheme like that would be welcomed by the Irish people. A scheme that looked after their health also and their education, I'd love to see that. But I bet we would be told that the cost would be prohibative, that policy couldn't allow it........ Remember one man's rent is another man's income!! Would you agree to something like that mayanne84 or would that be too lenient on our own young people?

• Advertisement

Do please keep us posted, would be interested to know for ourselves what to expect. Thanks.

Advertisement