Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which one of us is the D*ckhead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

Both I'd say.

him for giving the finger and you for posting it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Any context??

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Suv hater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could have stopped.

Family with children trying to cross road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Ah. Right.

I probably wouldn't have stopped either, by the time I realised what yer man was flashing about it'd feel unsafe stopping on a main road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Thought it was fairly clear from the video. The man in the flatbed was flashing his lights erratically at oncoming traffic. It was only when I got as far as him I saw that he was holding up the traffic to let the family cross the road.

While he may have good intentions, I've seen so many near misses occur because of traffic dictators like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Needs more explosions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,935 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If I had to go one way or the other, I'd say you but I wouldn't be too harsh on you in saying that.

My logic is that he was stopped and flashing lights for a considerable time. Long enough for you to assess the situation and it doesn't seem you did so, or chose to attempt to do so.

The family trying to cross could have possibly picked a better spot but there doesn't seem to have been one anywhere near them on what is clearly a busy road.

I would also lean in his favour in that given the queue behind him, it looks like he had been stopped for a while and was probably frustrated that no one was accommodating the pedestrians. He probably served that finger to more than just yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Him. 'Look how nice I am, waving these people into oncoming traffic'

Holding up other traffic and creating the a dangerous situation for every road user in his radius. Ignoring the Rules of the Road and Road Traffic Act.

Was in Blanchardstown one day. Car stopped to let someone across the road like this. Car coming up behind hadn't seen they had stopped, he should have seen it but it wasn't where you'd expect a car to be a complete stop.

He crashed into the back of the stopped car, who hadn't got their handbrake on so the car was propelled forward and up on to the path and into a tree. The person crossing had just passed the car and was narrowly missed.

Some knuckle draggers might think they know better than the rules or that the rules are just there to frustrate them but someone much more intelligent than them wrote them for a good reason.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I hope people from the RSA see this... if this is the only crossing option on a busy road there needs to be fixed... it is clearly dangerous for you to stop as you may be the cause of a serious accident from hit being from... it happened me recently when someone stopped in front of me to let a pedestrian cross... the car coming behind had to swerve around me... you wont be getting free turf...

Exactly, one of the only set of rules I am completely in agreement with and that is the rules of the road. When I was in secondary school we used to get off the bus on the side of the main road, walk towards the back of the bus and cross when safe. I don't know how many times some complete idiot would come along behind the bus, stop, and start waving us to cross ahead - completely ignoring the fact that there was oncoming traffic zooming past. But as the bus was in our line of sight we couldn't see. I never used to cross but I had neighbors who would place their complete trust in the idiots.

I make my own anyway so he can shove a sod up his...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Him stopping and flashing his lights like that is a distraction drawing peoples eyes away from the family waiting to cross, as shown by the fact people had to ask what it was they were looking at.

Now the view from the drivers seat should be better than the dashcam recording but the flasher, despite seemingly good intentions, was creating a hazard.

The rules of the road say that you should not drive in a manner which prohibits you being able to stop safely, it says nothing about locations where you'd expect to see a car at a complete stop. The only person at fault in your scenario was the person who was not able to stop safely.

Cars have dominance when it comes to the transport of people way more than they should have.

Times are changing, the quicker the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd have to agree actually, initially I thought he was flashing to warn of a speed van or check point , children not at all visible. whilst his intentions may have been well intended, it's clear the parent and children were quite a distance from the road markings warning of children crossing.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I laughed at the zooming , nice work on the video edit.

In situations like this, the camera car driver will often feel shamed into stopping even if it isn't the right thing to do. As it was pedestrians trying to cross in this case, I probably would have stopped and let them but if it was a car exiting a side road, no. I have been berated by virtue signalling good samaritans on at least one occasion for this.

Once the pedestrian puts their foot on the roadway they have priority but that also relies on decisiveness on the pedestrian's part. Many dither/loiter.

'The only person at fault in your scenario was the person who was not able to stop safely.'

No, that's incorrect.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Don't think so, given that you referred to the way in which the rules of the road were written. In the scenario you detailed who else contravened the rules of the road as they exist?

I'm not going to drag this thread off topic with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The idiot flashing his lights and creating a hazard.

Who exactly was unable to stop safely? I see nothing that suggests the car couldn't have stopped if they deemed it necessary. The point is that some clown flashing his lights is not a de facto reason to stop.

Follow the rules of the road and everybody knows where they stand. Step outside them and confusion and chaos will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Theres far too many dopey people driving lately who seem to think it's OK to use their vehicle to act as traffic control, drive the **** on, you're not a traffic light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Personally, I'd have opened my window and stopped whilst giving the appropriate hand signal, I'd also have turned on my hazards. 10 seconds later, we'd have all been on our way again, the family having safely crossed the road. No big deal, I've encountered such a scenario more than once. Life seems a little nicer when we try to help each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

He's the dickhead. It's a pet hate of mine, people stopping to let cars out of junctions is also ridiculous. Morons who just crave the wink and the nod from others. They'll get their turn to get out, drive on.

You have a clear road in front of you, drive on. If you were crawling along in rush hour traffic, I'd stop and let them cross obviously. But as it is, its safer for the ped to wait for traffic to clear and that clown is just holding it all up.

haven't watched video but I'd deffo say you've right on your side here OP - going by comments,,,

The main road in the dark aint no place for 'white-knighting' 😒

he should of gotten out of his truck (surely he had a hi-vis on) , and stopped traffic on the other side, if he wanted to be at that craic imo

haven't watched video but I'd deffo say you've right on your side here OP - going by comments,,,

The main road in the dark aint no place for 'white-knighting' 😒

he should of gotten out of his truck (surely he had a hi-vis on) , and stopped traffic on the other side, if he wanted to be at that craic imo

Is this for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭goochy

Hes the dick head trying to be a good goody two shoes but could cause an accident . Dont think you should have his regards no - writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭goochy

Reg . No. Shown

Yes, absolutely 'for real' , unless I'm missing something..

did it not take place in the dark (or dusk - if one wants to be pedantic 😋) , and on a main road? that was my take on it, going on the comments

the truck driver already had his own side of the road blocked (if that's your issue with the post) , so all our hero would have had to do is flag down traffic (yellow/orange hi-vis in tow) on the other side; which seemed to be his 'desired outcome'

• Advertisement

This is quite incredible, to be so opinionated on a topic on which there is literally a video of on the thread which shows you have misinterpreted the situation quite significantly.

No idea why you felt the need to get involved having not watch the video.

you're entitled to your opinion, as I'm entitled to mine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Flat bed driver is a spa and has the potential to cause a serious accident.

I just called him on the his mobile there and told he he was thick today for holding up traffic and nearly causing an accident 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

The fella in the small truck, he should drive on and stop causing a hazard, thick fcuker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Guy in the truck absolutely.. Has stopped a line of traffic behind him and causing confusion for the oncoming traffic so he can virtue-signal. There's no mention of cars behind the OP either but stopping suddenly could have led to an accident as well.

I had a guy in front of me stop sharply from 100 km/h just outside Dunboyne on the old N3 (before the M3 opened) so he could let a guy across from the turnoff into the village. Moron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Whocare

Clown 🤡 driving flashing his light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Truck driver is the d*ickhead, no question about it. He is not the Garda Siochana, he has no authority to stop traffic like that and is downright rude to be giving the middle finger like that. The lights flashing like that is borderline psychopathic and quite often the likes of that would cause an accident if anything were to. As and aside there is no pedestrian crossing there and technically speaking they shouldn't be crossing the road there. In some countries you would be fined for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

there is no pedestrian crossing there and technically speaking they shouldn't be crossing the road there.

??? Presumably they're trying to cross there precisely because there's no crossing. You are not supposed to cross a road within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing, there is very clearly no such crossing available to them. The people crossing the road have done nothing wrong.

The OP could very easily have slowed down safely. If a guy coming against you is frantically flashing his lights, would you not do so anyway?

At best, they're both d*ckheads. If we have to choose, putting this very trivial incident on the internet clinches it for the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Both in my opinion. He shouldn’t have been flashing and tbh shouldn’t have stopped when the pedestrians were on the opposite side to him BUT would it really have killed you to let them cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

This. I hate dickheads who yield their right of way and then get annoyed when I ignore them. Happens a lot on small flat roundabouts. They are prob doing it as some other dickhead before ignored their right of way on the same roundabout.

Haven't read your post yet, but I can't believe you'd defend Gary glitter like that, I mean, to call him a hero is a bit strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Assuming you're making that up for comedic effect, But if not, I'd love to have that much free time on my hands.

Don't drive as much since I started working from home so the dash cam defaults to factory date. The footage was caught the day I posted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

It's not trivial in the slightest.

By coming to a complete stop and signalling to the pedestrians, the truck driver is implying that they actually have control of the situation, when in truth they barely have control of traffic on their side of the road. They were far more interested in flashing his lights and giving the OP the finger, than looking for motorbikes or cyclist who could be overtaking on their left.

They're putting the pedestrians under pressure, as the pedestrians are now holding up eight vehicles when they may have been perfectly happy to wait, causing eight vehicles to come to an unnecessary stop, and generate at least eight opportunities for rear endings.

Yes the road is 50km/h, but it's sandwiched between 100km/h zones on both sides, so people following the OP and flatbed are likely to do more than 50km/h. Illegal, but reality, and good drivers know this.

Crest of a hill, unsighted bend, low light, no-overtaking zone, lots of other traffic - plenty of reason not to come to a full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Crest of a hill, unsighted bend, low light, no-overtaking zone, lots of other traffic

It's very clearly broad daylight and I'm not seeing the crest of any hill. Regardless, the OP has the traffic regulations on his side, that's not in dispute, but equally this is the sort of thing you encounter every day on the roads, I'm really struggling to see how this merits putting it up on boards.ie and YouTube with the guy's reg number and phone number clearly visible.

So again, there's a pair of d*ckheads in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

Certainly looks like the crest of a hill and an unsighted bend to me. OP wasn't being a dickhead at the time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

Though his intentions were good

he actually put that family in danger

see this crap constantly

surely there’s a pedestrian crossing along the road?

dashcam man couldn’t see the family until he was near on to of them

I’ve seen too many do-gooders create unofficial pedestrian crossings like this guy, nearly causing accidents - I’m all for allowing pedestrians cross safely if the situation allows but mostly, you’re just delaying motorists unduely- drive on, let the traffic past and very soon the pedestrian will have an opportunity to cross- if you stop you’re only saving that pedestrian 10 seconds or so of additional wait time but you’re delaying countless cars for up to 30 seconds and creating an accident hazard as drivers are not expecting such a stop. And yes I know expect the unexpected- well tell that to the multiple people with whiplash.

My reaction to those flashing lights would have been to slow down not stop - when looking at the video the lights were distracting me from the left hand path- crazy idiot OP- no I don’t think you’re a dickhead

He clearly doesn't give a crap about people seeing his reg and phone number when he decided to be a dickhead holding up all the traffic and creating a clear hazard for road users and pedestrians, all while showing the middle finger to oncoming traffic.

It is on both a crest and a turn. The road is busy but there are always quiet windows to cross safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

I wonder did he give the finger to the other 3 cars in front of you that also went through his self-appointed crossing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement