Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which one of us is the D*ckhead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Both I'd say.

him for giving the finger and you for posting it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Any context??

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Suv hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could have stopped.

Family with children trying to cross road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Ah. Right.

I probably wouldn't have stopped either, by the time I realised what yer man was flashing about it'd feel unsafe stopping on a main road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Thought it was fairly clear from the video. The man in the flatbed was flashing his lights erratically at oncoming traffic. It was only when I got as far as him I saw that he was holding up the traffic to let the family cross the road.

While he may have good intentions, I've seen so many near misses occur because of traffic dictators like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Needs more explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If I had to go one way or the other, I'd say you but I wouldn't be too harsh on you in saying that.

My logic is that he was stopped and flashing lights for a considerable time. Long enough for you to assess the situation and it doesn't seem you did so, or chose to attempt to do so.

The family trying to cross could have possibly picked a better spot but there doesn't seem to have been one anywhere near them on what is clearly a busy road.

I would also lean in his favour in that given the queue behind him, it looks like he had been stopped for a while and was probably frustrated that no one was accommodating the pedestrians. He probably served that finger to more than just yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Him. 'Look how nice I am, waving these people into oncoming traffic'

Holding up other traffic and creating the a dangerous situation for every road user in his radius. Ignoring the Rules of the Road and Road Traffic Act.

Was in Blanchardstown one day. Car stopped to let someone across the road like this. Car coming up behind hadn't seen they had stopped, he should have seen it but it wasn't where you'd expect a car to be a complete stop.

He crashed into the back of the stopped car, who hadn't got their handbrake on so the car was propelled forward and up on to the path and into a tree. The person crossing had just passed the car and was narrowly missed.

Some knuckle draggers might think they know better than the rules or that the rules are just there to frustrate them but someone much more intelligent than them wrote them for a good reason.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I hope people from the RSA see this... if this is the only crossing option on a busy road there needs to be fixed... it is clearly dangerous for you to stop as you may be the cause of a serious accident from hit being from... it happened me recently when someone stopped in front of me to let a pedestrian cross... the car coming behind had to swerve around me... you wont be getting free turf...

Exactly, one of the only set of rules I am completely in agreement with and that is the rules of the road. When I was in secondary school we used to get off the bus on the side of the main road, walk towards the back of the bus and cross when safe. I don't know how many times some complete idiot would come along behind the bus, stop, and start waving us to cross ahead - completely ignoring the fact that there was oncoming traffic zooming past. But as the bus was in our line of sight we couldn't see. I never used to cross but I had neighbors who would place their complete trust in the idiots.

I make my own anyway so he can shove a sod up his...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Him stopping and flashing his lights like that is a distraction drawing peoples eyes away from the family waiting to cross, as shown by the fact people had to ask what it was they were looking at.

Now the view from the drivers seat should be better than the dashcam recording but the flasher, despite seemingly good intentions, was creating a hazard.

The rules of the road say that you should not drive in a manner which prohibits you being able to stop safely, it says nothing about locations where you'd expect to see a car at a complete stop. The only person at fault in your scenario was the person who was not able to stop safely.

Cars have dominance when it comes to the transport of people way more than they should have.

Times are changing, the quicker the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd have to agree actually, initially I thought he was flashing to warn of a speed van or check point , children not at all visible. whilst his intentions may have been well intended, it's clear the parent and children were quite a distance from the road markings warning of children crossing.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I laughed at the zooming , nice work on the video edit.

In situations like this, the camera car driver will often feel shamed into stopping even if it isn't the right thing to do. As it was pedestrians trying to cross in this case, I probably would have stopped and let them but if it was a car exiting a side road, no. I have been berated by virtue signalling good samaritans on at least one occasion for this.

Once the pedestrian puts their foot on the roadway they have priority but that also relies on decisiveness on the pedestrian's part. Many dither/loiter.

'The only person at fault in your scenario was the person who was not able to stop safely.'

No, that's incorrect.

Cui bono?

Don't think so, given that you referred to the way in which the rules of the road were written. In the scenario you detailed who else contravened the rules of the road as they exist?

I'm not going to drag this thread off topic with this.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The idiot flashing his lights and creating a hazard.

Who exactly was unable to stop safely? I see nothing that suggests the car couldn't have stopped if they deemed it necessary. The point is that some clown flashing his lights is not a de facto reason to stop.

Follow the rules of the road and everybody knows where they stand. Step outside them and confusion and chaos will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Theres far too many dopey people driving lately who seem to think it's OK to use their vehicle to act as traffic control, drive the **** on, you're not a traffic light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Personally, I'd have opened my window and stopped whilst giving the appropriate hand signal, I'd also have turned on my hazards. 10 seconds later, we'd have all been on our way again, the family having safely crossed the road. No big deal, I've encountered such a scenario more than once. Life seems a little nicer when we try to help each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

He's the dickhead. It's a pet hate of mine, people stopping to let cars out of junctions is also ridiculous. Morons who just crave the wink and the nod from others. They'll get their turn to get out, drive on.

You have a clear road in front of you, drive on. If you were crawling along in rush hour traffic, I'd stop and let them cross obviously. But as it is, its safer for the ped to wait for traffic to clear and that clown is just holding it all up.

haven't watched video but I'd deffo say you've right on your side here OP - going by comments,,,

The main road in the dark aint no place for 'white-knighting' 😒

he should of gotten out of his truck (surely he had a hi-vis on) , and stopped traffic on the other side, if he wanted to be at that craic imo

haven't watched video but I'd deffo say you've right on your side here OP - going by comments,,,

The main road in the dark aint no place for 'white-knighting' 😒

he should of gotten out of his truck (surely he had a hi-vis on) , and stopped traffic on the other side, if he wanted to be at that craic imo

Is this for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goochy

Hes the dick head trying to be a good goody two shoes but could cause an accident . Dont think you should have his regards no - writing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goochy

Reg . No. Shown

Yes, absolutely 'for real' , unless I'm missing something..

did it not take place in the dark (or dusk - if one wants to be pedantic 😋) , and on a main road? that was my take on it, going on the comments

the truck driver already had his own side of the road blocked (if that's your issue with the post) , so all our hero would have had to do is flag down traffic (yellow/orange hi-vis in tow) on the other side; which seemed to be his 'desired outcome'

• Advertisement

This is quite incredible, to be so opinionated on a topic on which there is literally a video of on the thread which shows you have misinterpreted the situation quite significantly.

No idea why you felt the need to get involved having not watch the video.

Advertisement