Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray D'Arcy's screw up of the day

• 02-03-2022 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭leath_dub

A place to record the rare occasions when Ray comes out second best to a bit of technology. Of course, Ray is never to blame for these incidents

From today;

About 15 mins in Ray tries to go to ads. Cue some audible fumbling and Ray saying "there's no ads there". The producer could be head in his ear directing him. After the ads run and we go back to the show Ray wistfully says "The computer says no today"

Also at 4pm (ish) whe handing over to the nuacht Ray gets the newsreader's name wrong, again

Post edited by leath_dub on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Great idea.

I was very tempted recently to take an entire episode of the show, edit everything else out instead of that dumbass slurping sound he makes at the end of each sentence, and send the resulting five to ten minutes of audio to RTE by way of a complaint.

Then I realised I'd be wasting no ones time but my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Are we talking Foley or D’arcy here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fcuked up the hand over from Liveline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

3.01pm cut the finish promo for LiveLine short, brief second of silence before Ray announcing news 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭leath_dub

That one took me by surprise! That surely must be a world record time for Ray's first daily screw up?

Again - feck's sake

15.04 fcuks up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

3.05pm Rays own show intro....computer says no... But he got there eventually 😂

This thread could get very long, very fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Couldn't find the right button after the news at 3, but it was the computer's fault. Have a feeling that this is going to be a busy thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Well done Raymond 4 days back and at least 3 fcuk ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'll just leave this here:

As relevant today as it was when first made.

Printer 1 - Ray 0

3:18 - "Computer says no" again as Ray makes a mess of playing the Liam Og Flynn track

Intro screwup no. 5625

I had found that the only reason I had even been listening to the show was to document the regular mess ups by Ray. I didn't think that was a particularly good use of time so I just stopped listening.

I forgot to swiutch off after the Liveline extravaganza today so I inadvertantly heard the 3pm news and the handover to Ray.

In fairness to Ray, he never fails to deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He breaks his own record nearly daily.

Messed up inside about 2sec today again.

If someone outside of Ireland who didn't know who Darcy is heard his show they'd probably think he was new to the job or in a new studio or something, not a guy who has been a radio host for approx 30yrs and who earns 400k a year.

Ray had a recording of the correct way to say Worcester / Worcestershire sauce on his phone. Did it play 🤔 🙄

Course not 😆 phone said no 😁

a hat-trick of balls up there

make that four

• Advertisement

blames covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Dynomutt

Ray was excited about a four day break because when you get back to work, "you have to remind yourself how to do things, always a good sign", possibly unaware that he doesn't know how to do things on his programme daily.

Ray screws up the audio in the guest's headphones by havinf the levels too high. Not his fault though - "Sorry about that but we're in a different studio today" 🙄

It's never his fault,l it's just a rayism 🤔

Not a screwup as such, but back from ads at 3:59. Time for An Nuacht, Ray? No - back to Coman Noctor for another question (which Ray took nearly a minute and a half to read)

It's indicaative of what a sloippy operation this show is - is there no producer to keep things on track?

Nuacht at 4:03

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I bet ray thinks of himself as quite an accomplished lover beneath the sheets, he has that vibe, he will make sure the lady enjoys it, several times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would wonder if the poor timing to Nuacht is deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I'm not defending Ray, but An Nuacht is a pointless interruption to any programme, and probably only benefits the two people that listen to it. It's even more annoying at the start of the Ronan Collins show.

• Advertisement

The Nuacht used to be at 3:30 when Ray replaced Derek Mooney and Ray didn't take long or lose any opportunity to voice his irritation at it. After a few months it was relocated to it's slot on (near?) the hour. I kind of see the point of that, the news would hand over to Ray at 4 or 5 mins past 3 so it would be inconvenient to bail out of an interview at 3:30 to go to Nuacht. Once his tantrum had succeeded, and he got the Nuacht switched to 4pm he should make every effort to ensure it goes out on time - if only as a professional courtesy to his colleagues who have to hang around to suit Ray's schedule as he discusses "what's your favourite soup?" with whatever guest is in the studio that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Other Nuacht bulletins were moved to the top of the hour on Radio 1, around this period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RTÉ seniors should insist a dump-out from his show, mid-sentence if necessary, to make An Nuacht precisely on time.

You could never conceive of Ronan Collins running later than 12.57 in order to make the lunchtime weather and 1pm news in smooth time.

It should no different for lilywhite boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The weather was dropped from the Ronan Collins show some time ago. It was ridiculous having it on at 12 50/55 approx especially as it contained the shipping forecast which left little or no time for requests or music after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Naucht readers should refuse to read the news if they aren't handed over to on time.

They are sitting there waiting to read news at 4pm, and often they are still waiting at 4:03 to read it. Totally unprofessional and you could never see such antics happening at the Beeb or other half decent company.

Would be funny hearing Ray scrambling to recover if the newsreader simply didn't speak.

It's just ignorance of the highest order, whether you think the news in Irish should be read or not.

Ray had 2 clips to play from the Oscars from last night all he had to do was play them in the right order. Guess how that went 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steinbock123

7 minutes in for the first F-up!

In fairness it's a tough one for Ray .

A 50/50 chance,

i hope he doesn't gamble the big wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Treated another guest with disdain and ignorance.

This idiot doesn't even have to press a button to screw up.

AHH no Ray.

He thought some one called Claire balding, was the horsey Claire balding and just carried on. Imagine if you did a small bit of research 🤔on who was coming on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i thought it was a joke at first she came on to talk about alopecia and her name is 'Balding'

• Advertisement

AHH ray. in his rush to get his wokeness out talking about racism.

He said it was terrible what happened to Floyd George 🤔

I feel an intense guilt listening to this as a non-black, non-traveller, non-female Irish person

Of course -ray cuts to an ad break at 4pm. Sit tight, Nuacht person - we'll get to you when we're good and ready

He jumped in quick enough when ye man questioned the media (incase he was talking about rte) But stayed quiet and said nothing when the traveler more or less said all Irish are racist and travelers get blamed for things they never do, as they are missunderstood and are all saints

Button 1-0 Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Love this thread .....

I can actually see/hear the looder say/make these mistakes as i read them ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Straight out of the News and he couldn't find the button for the opening ident. Was the computer's fault.

He wouldn't last a month in hospital radio. Do you really need to be that incompetent to get a highly paid gig in RTE?

That callans kicks on YouTube of him is eirily correct.

I wonder if he gives a care about the screew ups , it's hard to believe someone could be that incompetent

The irony of Ray breaking his hole laughing when a contestant misspoke is lost on him,

He who fcuks up the most laughs loudest at others 🙄🤔

Ray (almost) redeems himself by playing Guns 'n Roses.

And then screws up again by coming and babbling before the song is finished

• Advertisement
Advertisement