Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Forum Stats Updates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Apologies I haven't been around on here much to contribute the last few days.

That is a great effort and testament to the communicate you all have created that is continues to grow even with all the challenges.

Here's to a even better 2022, more posts or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Well said TRS, you're spot on to me it's not about the posts, it's all about the chats and the craic in here.

I swear this place keep me sane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No matter what happens today we have locked in the 2nd biggest January on record for this forum.

The more I look at the stats from last year the worse they read, we has the worst November on record (records only go back to 2017) a mnoth where we traiditonally used to get our lion share of posts. It seems the new layout/boards has killed passing trade as such.

Alot of people didn't stick with the changeover and alot of new people can't find us. Everyone knows I find the stats interesting and this is a telling sign of a poor migration to a "new" platform. It's not just us I know of many other forums experiencing the same, must be stark reading for the CEO.

For me it's never about the number I'm happier now with the community we have now than we did during our peak. It's just interesting where we are now versus before.

I think the migration has fundamentally affected boards as a whole & it will in all likelihood never be the same again, however for all the drop offs etc we in here probably survived better than most given the vast majority of regulars are still here ( I know we lost one or 2 sadly, but in comparison to some of the other forums that's a win)

And like Loughc as much as I love stats, this forum is more than just numbers.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Firstly, brilliant to hear January has been such a great month. The game has been another rip roaring success.

Interesting thoughts above Loughc and ones I would agree with. Stats are great however only really tell part of the picture, certainly in something like this forum. While having more people posting and a mix of regulars and casual drop ins, is great, the volume of posts is only one metric when it comes to judging the success of the forum. I for one come to chat to like mined people about Christmas and whatever else comes up. We are like an online community who learn on and support each other and is a great place to come and get away from the at times, day to day slog of real life.

I suspect that even if there was only a couple of us left posting to pretty much each other, the forum would still keep going. The spirit of Christmas will never die!

Janaury is in the bag with a post total any other year would have been off the charts but we were smack bang in the middle of lockdown in 2021 so we ended up 1,099 posts behind last year.

Jan 22 was still 191 posts ahead of the next busiest Janaury (2018)

A good start to the year.

This year seemed lively enough in here, mad to be 1100 posts behind last year, that's c.36 posts a day!!

• Advertisement

That’s the power of lockdown!

And again by any other years standard this was an exceptional January but you can’t compete with lockdown months. People literally had no where to go.

Maybe lockdown months should have an asterisk for future reference when COVID is a distance memory.

I've highlighted them in a different colour on the auld excel sheet already haha. Cause these months we will realistically never get near again Feb 2021 being another prime example.

Must have a look back & see what we were talking about 😀, even allowing for lockdown that's an incredible number given the numbers for the January either side of it... as you say we may just have to classify it as an anomaly going forward as it really was a once in a lifetime event (hopefully!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Both lock down and the changeover from 'old' boards will play a big part in the stats, I imagine.

• Advertisement

You can see them completely fall off a cliff from July onwards.... stupid non-sexy new boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Perhaps part of the difference between this Jan and last could be account for by the 2 votes last Jan (movie and song)? Or am I mistaken, I think there were two? Those votes would generate a lot more traffic than the sweet vote

I think you are indeed correct. And we had less passing traffic, last year we had folks from the forum games forum join in on the tournaments this year most of those folks have bounced onto a new site I think.

The games definitely get the post count up. People pop in to vote and then post in a few other threads as well.

Have noticed 1 or 2 vote & not contribute elsewhere too... 🙊

• Advertisement

Yeah, most of the games forum have upped sticks, sadly. They'd usually have enjoyed a good tournament!

Besides, like the guys have said a few posts ago, it's the quality, not the quantity of posts that makes the forum what it is anyway. There are definitely busier fora that I wouldn't touch go near if you paid me! 😂

Name and shame, name and shame................only jking!

You and me both. AH is a cesspool that my life is much better for having banished!

AH since the move isnt quite as bad as it was, still browse it the odd time (never post in it though)

The covid forum was the worst IMO, that was pure toxic. Though there's a couple of threads in the TV section that have been taken over by an individual in each case and its their opinion or no opinion at all... awful to read. Pure bully tactics.

On the name & shame, even though I knew you were joking ah I wouldn't do that anyway. My only gripe is that if you're going to come in to partake in a christmas themed game/tournament why not stick around & get involved a bit & post on some of the other threads? Be nice to have some new faces contribute even now & again.

2nd largest February on record with still about half a month to go :)

Nothing like a good quiz to get the competitive juices flowing and the posts!

Monday seems to be our runaway popular day of 2022 so far it's almost 200 posts ahead of it's nearest popular day. Only 5 days so far in 2022 have broken the 100+ post mark and 3 of them are Mondays.

2021 our most popular day was Wednesday and in 2020 our most popular day was Tuesday, will be interesting to see if this trend of Monday continues for 2022.

For me anyway, it's catching up from the weekend as usually not online and also putting off having to do work, for the morning at least!

We broke the 1,000 post mark yesterday for the month :)

Right February is in the books.

• Second biggest February on record, 3rd biggest 401 posts behind 2022.
    • Broke 1,000 post mark
    • 1,121 posts behind on last Feb (tournaments and lockdown)
    • 509 posts behind on last month

• Advertisement

New tournament starting this month...

So over all, how many posts are we down on this time last year?

Sorry if it's in the above however I'm still on my first coffee!

Not sure I understood that first line when I read first, but on second reading its saying we've just had the 2nd biggest Feb on record, & the next biggest (3rd highest) was 401 posts lower than Feb 2022... with 2022 1121 posts lower than Feb 2021 (which was the highest Feb ever)

We are 2,220 posts behind on last Jan & Feb combined... 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'd chalk that up to being in Lockdown for all of Jan & Feb last year

I think we'll look back at 2021 as an anomaly to be fair, might need an Asterix against it for future comparisons😀

It absolutely was, we had nowhere else to go or anything to do haha.

Already marked with an Asterix haha. As we said before it's a record that won't be beaten and that's not a bad thing.

Absolutely not!! 😖

• Advertisement

Cheers @Loughc, agree with all the above, the comparisons to last year are a bit meaningless was just curious.

As we have said before, less posting usually means people are out and about enjoying themselves, so a 'win win' on the post volumes!

I still like the post comparisons myself, it's fun to see how we track a normal year versus a pandemic year.

Just a shame that a lot of the pre changeover information was lost. I really miss the old 'search my posts' by forum functionality, I used it regularly to get back to older threads of note.

Meaningless was a poor choice of word, more the comparison is not necessarily a reflect of how we doing currently.

No, no you said it now... a sucker punch to the gut so it was.....

Meaningless stats.... Meaningless stats.... second best priest....

• Advertisement

Poor Loughc. 😂😂😂

Suck it up and come back a better stats' nerd 🤣🤣

March is in the books now and it does not make for good reading. A complete washout.

Down 674 posts on last year and down 561 posts on last month. We are trailing 2021 by 2,892 on a year to date basis.

But on a positive note we broke the 3,000 posts mark this week and life is beginning to return to normal so that's worth the drop in posts alone :)

To be honest I'm not that surprised. The odd time I've checked in here its been a ghost town. Thought there'd be a bit more life after the latest tournament was launched but even thats been a slow starter. Maybe its just a sign that things are going back to normal & people have more stuff to be getting on with & less time for internet browsing.

Personally, it's been a combination of work, weather improving and more kids things starting back etc that has given me less time to get online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement