Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helen McEntee & Those Donations - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

She's the current Minister for Justice and took almost a year to spot multiple donations that were well over the allowed amount going into her election campaign. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Indo still digging, Leo has apparently met with Helen to discuss her forgetfulness and is apparently very happy with the explanations, there's a surprise 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hard for Leo Varadkar to take the moral high ground on this tbf

Indeed, I was of course being Glib 😁, the Irony of it, Justice Minister having to explain herself to someone under criminal investigation 😉🤔🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I see that many of the usual suspects are frothing at the mouth at the notion of a Government TD having already returned the portion of a €4K political donation that was found to be in excess of the SIPO rules, whereas the same posters kept fairly schtum when Sinn Féin routed a £4m political through a foreign country in order to bypass SIPO altogether - situation normal here at Current Affairs/IMHO.

• Advertisement

It didn't take long for SF to be thrown into the mix, completely off Topic of course but that doesn't stop the SF bashing tiresome nonsense used to deflect from the question at hand. Just to be clear, I've personally never, ever voted SF and actually, like most sensible people, can seperate current and historical events.

Do try, but I won't be engage any further in this absurd SF bashing which you may not have noticed, is failing miserably according to most Polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Indo aren't the only ones still digging...

Ms McEntee, Mr Coyle and Fine Gael are refusing to say if the Tayto Park owner has made any other donations to the party which the minister may have benefitted from.

All three are also refusing say if Mr Coyle attended a €1,000-a-table Fine Gael Meath East lunch in the Dunboyne Hotel in October 2019.

Nothing strange about that at all!

I love this part...

Yesterday, Ms McEntee’s spokesperson said she could not comment on the fundraising event because it was organised by her constituency organisation.

“Fundraisers organised by Meath East Fine Gael for the constituency are a matter for Meath East Fine Gael,” he said.

FG can't/won't comment on what another element of FG do.

But of course but the FG Bots go into overdrive deflecting across social media 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

A horrible Woman, with the same attitude as the rest. All for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

We live in a media age, your media profile is far more important than the content of your character.

Both have name recognition because they've never refused a mic thrust in front of them (a bit like Leo) and have an army of media apparatchiks pumping up their visability. Visibility is worth far more then mere competence in this era, how else do you explain the Kardashians? The superficiality of the times we live in is paving a road to hell, but at least we'll have Harris, Leo and McEntee live tweeting the road trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They also all seem to be unwilling to confirm/deny whether there were any more payments as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Packrat

So just straight forward old fashioned corruption then?

That party are fast becoming a by-word for government corruption, without having the level of competence that corrupt FF politicians had on their heyday.

It's disgusting that we are going to allow another generation of these crooks to bleed the state dry...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

God help this country if McEntee and Harris are the best that FG can muster as leadership material.

I wouldnt trust either of those 2 to run a corner shop never mind a country.

They would be out of their depth being a Principal in a small rural school, why is such dross seemingly getting plum roles in politics all over the world these days.

It seems to be all about having a brass neck and making the most noise, empty vessels make most noise.

It's because filling senior positions generally is more about appearances, quotas and box-ticking than competence and experience nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Are you a voter in McEntee area? have you any experience of her working or not working in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Doesnt matter if he is or not. She is meant to be the MINISTER OF JUSTICE & this & many more things she's been up to is a disgrace to the position. The vast majority of the Irish public couldnt give two cents about how many pot holes she fills in East Meath.

But she is not getting judged on her work, just she is a woman and a FG TD. Everything else apart from that is ignored to bash her.

The comments like "she got pregnant" is the standard rubbish you see online and has nothing to do with her job.

I haven't seen one comment about her work on Brexit etc?

The comment i responded to suggest she just got into government without "competence and experience" which would suggest the person is a voter in her area and know's she doesn't have either. TO me a relevant question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What work has she completed on Brexit? She is literally being judged on her job, 1) her amnesty that will have HUGE repercussions for Ireland now, and in the future. 2)The rules of her employment that she broke accepting THREE separate cheques from one individual. 3) Her refusal to answer whether he attended a dinner which was paid for by more "donations" that would not be allowed.

There are 3 judgements on her work. It makes no odds if she is "just a woman", or a man, or a trained chimp. The same laws and rules apply to her as everyone else.

That not true, we had comments about her getting pregnant and a link to an article about her husband working on an internal job in FG.

Majority of the comments here seem to have an issue because she is a women, the rest just seem to be a bash the FG TD. Standard online rubbish

The cheque are wrong and should be reviewed

The dinner, well that has nothing to do with anything. It is a fund raiser. I am sure he probably attended.This is just another case of people with nothing going on in their own lives. Parties run fund raiser, rich people go to them. It's not like its kept secret.

• Advertisement

She did the sum total of zero on brexit & look how that turned out anyways, they ended up leaving & the likes of Varadkar damaged relations between the two countries because of his criticism of the UK nearly every two weeks over it. But if we had an international security issue, he'd be the first person on the phone to Johnson, hes a clown & a media whore.

She was appointed to Minister of State for European Affairs & was better at holding the umbrella for Varadkar during Brexit negotiations than anything else. She is only in the position she's in because of what happened to her father, her sex, her willingness to be a lackey for Varadkar, amongst many other superficial reasons. Nothing to do with her capability for any ministerial position. Shes shown time & time again she is not competent & is more interested in being a media darling than anything else. In one way, she's everything thats wrong with Irish politics nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

As far as I can make out, she has done nothing. This is as close to a synopsis as I can muster up. I may have missed a couple of things as I am using the biggest headlines/stories featuring her as they appear: (I didn't check her vote count etc).

Helen McEntee runs in by-election. Enda Kenny tells here publicly that she will be given a seat on the Seanad if the voters don't elect her. She gets voted in. Next election she gets voted in and is appointed Minister for Justice as her first time in government in any real capacity. Defends her appointment saying she is more than capable despite having zero background in anything. Defends Wolfe appointment. Speaks about Misogyny and Women in power. Takes maternity leave. Returns from Maternity leave and speaks about Misogyny and Women in power. Helen says it is regrettable that no Government representatives will speak at National Women’s Council event.

As minister for Jusitce, she acknowledges that she received multiple donations from one person, each of the donations hundreds of euro well over the maximum amount allowed by SIPO rules but took almost a year to see them, refuses to clarify whether the same donator attended €1000 per table fundraiser, refuses to clarify whether she has received any other donations or benefited from said donator. Latest headlines are that women want a confident woman at the helm, and she could be next leader of FG.

Seems she has very little substance is and hoping to get in purely because she is female. Surely that isn't the type role model anybody wants for their children to look up to. As for Meath East - they didn't vote her in. They should be her constituency, but for some reason she was moved to Louth, where I cannot find any stories of her having done anything at all for them. Every article featuring her as the story, seems to be a negative. Every article with her speaking, seems to be about women, power and misogyny..

Is that FG's trick up their sleeve? Incompetence breeds incompetence.

So a person gets voted in as a TD as she has "done nothing". She was the first Fine Gael candidate since 1975 to win a by-election with the party in government. Has a Masters in Journalism and Media Communications. Plus plenty more since she started as a TD

Was critical to the negotiations in Europe and Donald Tusk giving her praise, to mention one.

Yes a highly educated and successful women shouldn't be a role model?

The two posts since mine have nothing about what she has done and proves it just bash the woman/FG TD.

Whilst I won't and have not attacked her personally and appreciate the tragic events that led to her election , those events and indeed whom she took over from in the byelection certainly have to be taken into consideration when you suggest she was the first FG candidate to win such an election with a party in government since 1975.

Objectivity lacking somewhat in your reply.

Objectivity? The best you could come up was she was voted in because of circumstance. Why was she voted in again then?

You also realise the last poster admitted they knew nothing about her and that gave them the right to slag her off. Yet you question if I have "Objectivity"?

Of course you know precisely why and how she got elected , just reminding you it wasn't exactly a ground breaking political achievement you so clumsily tried to portray, apologies if I've upset you with some facts 😏

Not sure why you think I am upset. Anyway any facts to explain why she was voted in again?

I've actually no interest in why she was elected again, perhaps you could ask Mr Tayto. Other than that I'd have to guess her extended very political family throughout the constituency hasn't been an obstacle so to speak. Indeed the family also has very, very prominent GAA connections which I'm sure has helped.

I've dealt solely with your absurd comment about her initial by-election achievement.

Yes, she did do diddly squat to get elected. The fact that she was the daughter of a td who had been elected numerous times in the area who then unfortunately committed suicide contributed enormously to her getting elected in the area. Many prominent incompetent tds in this country have been elected because their parents passed away & they inherited their seat, Enda Kenny & Mary Coughlan to name a few & look at the damage they did to the country.

Masters in Journalism & Communication, seriously!!! I wouldnt be writing home about that. Good for talking rubbish which is ideal for a politician of her standing. Says it all really, considering Simon Harris was another journalism student. FG are an absolutely toxic party. The sooner they're gotten rid of the better.

And stop playing the female argument, many female politicians who didnt receive their position through nepotism, licking arse & playing up to the media are respected. Ya know, the ones who actually were actually genuine and tried to do some good.

• Advertisement

Now it was GAA connections and a Masters is "nothing to write home about".

Keep grasping at straws, I will leave you to the bashing for no reason

Advertisement