Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

It's a very short description in that petition so it's hard to mistake the intent. It pretty clearly talks about removing through access and that's it.

What you eluded has no relationship to the link you provided.

"Put up bollards on chesterfield avenue to prevent people from using it as a throughway into and out of the city and limit the use of car parks to those with disabilities. "

So, no parking on the roadside in the park and no parking in the car parks for the able-bodied? Where the feck are people to park then? Mickey D's front garden while stepping around the giant dog turds.

You have shown zero interest in engaging honestly with me over many, many months. You are a total unabashed anti personal private transport grade-a looney tunes zealot.

Trying to access D8 from Blanch or even the park without being able to go through the gates at Castleknock is a major piece of logistical planning and 25 years ago for my job it would have added over 10 minutes to my commute before 7 in the morning to use a route other than the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They should try it. Stop through traffic. See how it works out.

If you want to get to Furry Glen you have to get the long way round to get to it.. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In a previous job a retirement email went around about a person who was retiring. They parked in the phoenix park and walked to work for 20 years, that's wrong.

But, as a lone female who likes to exercise, and preferred the business of Chesterfield avenue I miss how safe it felt to park on Chesterfield avenue (Castleknock end) to go for a walk. I certainly would never park on the North Road, I've encountered plenty of dodgy people there over the years.

I see the plus sides of the changes they've made but also the negatives.

Yes, and there is plenty of parking for them. I’ve actually lost track of what your problem is with all this. As you say yourself, people can drive to the park and run and cycle perfectly fine

And yes, I use the park multiple times a week. Running, cycling and walking.

• Advertisement

Maybe but parking all day in the park is a relatively recent like in the last decade. Back then parking was still available for free or cheap around town. Even when traffic was mental in 90s commuters didn't really park in the park that much. A bit in front of Garda HQ but that also was stopped.

People used to park at Parkgate street gates. But the OPW stopped it. Thats when people started parking all day on Chesterfield.

It would be very easy to track all day parking and fine them. If that was the problem. The reality though is it wasn't just commuters parking there (that's a false narrative) and they don't just want commuters off Chesterfield. It's everyone.

The numbers going through the park commuting is the lowest it will ever be. If they want to cut off through traffic even as a trial now is the time to do. They should have done it during the lockdown. But traffic is only going to increase from this point forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I've lived beside the Park all my life and echo this. The OPW are simply not up to the task. Recent screwups are, for instance, the absence of a proper toilet block at Ashtown Castle Centre redevelopment (where Bloom is held). They threw in some smelly portaloos - elevated for some insane reason - which are totally unsuitable for the elderly let alone the disabled. All throughout the park there are trees which have long since outgrown the wire mesh protector yet are never removed. The Army and Garda GAA clubs look derelict and dilapidated. Use them or lose them. The paths in the Peoples' Garden are a joke and in 60 plus years I never saw the miles of railings being repainted. There is no vision for increasing biodiversity by replacing the acres of grass with meadowland species. I could rant on...

As to the traffic thread, though I am a keen cyclist thanks to an e bike (a godsend at my age), many are not as lucky to live in close proximity and should be catered for. ..by reasonable car access. There should be a bus service from Heuston Station up Chesterfield to Castleknock and beyond catering for public transport access to the Zoo etc and general commuting. The North Road has a sinister feel to it these days. The stupid ramps put in years ago would trash an army jeep.

I've written to Eamonn Ryan asking for wolves to be reintroduced to control the population of southsiders😎

I think everyone here would agree with you on almost all of that. Parts of the park have been left, in a ‘wither away’ context rather than a pro-active re-wildling one. The north road is shocking and there should be a bus. Instead of focussing on these things they came up, in recent years, with ridiculous brain-farts like the cable-car to the memorial gardens in islandbridge

I think car access is absolutely reasonable and adequate. There are still through routes from every gate to every other gate (though maybe a little more indirect than before) and there are parking options all over the park. There is no part of the park that is not accessible

I think they’ve got a good comprise with traffic. They now need to sort out the general decay of some areas

"Reasonable and adequate" means many things to many people. The Park is the poster park not just in this city but nationally. If restrictive access to those with no other option than car usage, is pushed to excess, it will merely appear an elitist argument and undermine any broader conversation for change. The OPW clearly have bamboozled the elected politicians with the standard budget guff and are either unwilling or fearful to confront institutional inertia. There are Beech trees centuries old in the park and, if allowed, it will be another century before the current glacial pace of change allows the park reach its full potential.

PS I'll credit the OPW for doing a great job on the Connyngham Rd Gate. Now get on with the Magazine Fort etc etc

• Advertisement

Just as a car would. No ? It's hardly busy. Maybe I'm missing something...but I don't think it merits an entirely separated bike exit point..it would also screw with the aesthetics.

Its a one way out. I cycle in via that gate multiple times a week…..just through the pedestrian arch. It’s fine. I don’t that’s a priority….much happier seeing upper Glen blocked off for throaty traffic like the s-bends are

I admit I never spotted the "one way sign" before. Then again I haven't driven in years. Guess I'm breaking the law coz I enter there quite frequently by bike. The outlaw jose wales....

‘Reasonable and adequate’ to some here seems to mean ensuring enough parking spaces for the very busiest times of the busiest days of the year. Leaving empty concrete the rest of time. Completely illogical. Like having enough permanent car parking space in the city centre sufficient to cater for 2pm on the Saturday afternoon before Christmas

that seems to be the only remaining point of contention tbh, and neither side will ever agree

but I’d be pretty certain that Chesterfield av parking will not return

"but I’d be pretty certain that Chesterfield av parking will not return....."

My son is happy with that. I admit I never even considered it before....just hated the ugliness of the cones. Goes to show there are many cyclists who are very uncomfortable in close proximity to motor traffic.....unlike me. Anyhow all good now ..hope the bollards wont be ugly yokes. DCC might screw it up though with their bollard selection committeeee...

They already have the permanent ones in at the castleknock end. They’re fine in the day. At night they are so reflective that it looks like you’re driving down an airport runway….which seems a little much

and I don’t know whether that was your intention, but I read your last line in the voice of Steven Toast

Steven Toast?? Do tell...?

Ill go check out the Casatlenock bollarrds when the rain stops. Txs!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Matt Berry's amusing voiceover actor character.

I saw those wand bollards myself today and they look absolutely shyte, a blight on the Park. I hope to Christ that's not what they intend to install the whole way down Chesterfield Avenue. It really cannot be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The problem is that driving continues and will continue to be the only viable way to access the park for the vast majority of the population, but the OPW seems intent on making it as difficult as possible, while at the same time doing exactly nothing to provide reasonable alternatives.

I take it then you live within walking distance of the park?

• Advertisement

So zero facilities for cyclists and a ghost bike.

Amazing job.

Oh my god. That’s why there is parking all over

im done with the parking conversions.

There is lots of parking.

Just not enough.

You do live within walking distance then. That explains everything.

i do. My family don’t. And I often meet them there. There’s loads of parking and tbh I think that’s all you’ll get. I’m out

Because of the times I've loaded my kids into the car, arrived to the car park at Ashtown Castle or Furry Glen, and had to either circle around waiting for someone to leave or just give up and go.

So you have what you want and f**k the rest of us. That's your attitude.

I think a lot people who used to use the Ave when running or walking now parking in the visitor center. You see them on the road into it. Hence why its now so busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What a bunch of f**king moaning snowflakes some people in this city are. I live in Dublin 5 and visit the park probably a couple of times of year, it is an awkward park to get to from here. I wouldn't dare drive there on a sunny day or even on a Sunday afternoon as I'd expect it to be mayhem and a nightmare getting parking. Nearly everyone can walk a bit so just park somewhere else and walk or take public transport from the city centre. We can't keep catering to lazy f**ks who think they can drive and park wherever and whenever they want. The park is already choc a bloc with cars and parking spaces, how much more do you want for God's sake?

• Advertisement

You've two schools of thought here.

#1 There's always spaces in the Car Parks, there's no issue except on like one day a year, which is pretty much never. So basically unlimited parking all the time.

#2 People who have on (and not the busiest day of the year) struggled to get parking in the existing car parks and/or parking near where they want to go to. Parking in Farmleigh isn't much use for the Zoo.

My personal experience is that often enough, in almost all the car parks (and roads with parking) its not unusual (not usual either) not be able to get parking and had to go elsewhere. The only car park in the park (and technically its not in the park) I've never had a problem with is Farmleigh.

Considering they've had to build new car parks and extend existing ones. Why did they do all these if there wasn't ever an issue with parking. people don't want to reasonable or facilitate decent facilities fair enough. But its a very poorly planned out park.

Advertisement