Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just had a google of the shop in Louth. It was advertised for 265k in 2018. I wonder who advertised this? When did the son buy it? It was back in the boom times right?

It was sold on BidX last year for 150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

Catriona is a ruthless bitch who deserves punishment for what she done to these people. She should face harsh legal consequences for this . Her assets should also be seized and hopefully these people will get their money back. But It has to be said that these people were very very gullible - they still didnt deserve what happened them though

1. Deposit had to be paid in cash - did noone think this was odd? Should have been big red flag when she said this.
    2. Company was registered in the UK - again this would be odd for the company not to have an Irish registration. This information is easily found online.
    3. Looking at the companys accounts would tell you she was a bullshitter- again you can get all this info in a few minutes online. Did noone think to check this out?
    4. At the very least you would check the legalities of this out with your own solicitor before doing anything.
    5. Family in Louth whose property appeared on Bidx - First call should have been to their bank to see what was going on not to Catriona Carey. They just sent her nice polite texts - unbelievable.
    6. Where did they get their cash deposits from - None of them lived in mansions so the arrears cannot have been huge. Giving this cash to the bank could have made all the difference.
    7. Never getting to meet her solicitor should have set alarm bells off.
    8. No website for the company in this day and age also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My question is whether these people knew well that there was something dodgy going on, but they thought the dodginess would be to their own benefit?

Quick google of Catriona Carey would also have shown up what she was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

I would say yes, which is why they were so calm when they realised.

Sure if it was that easy to get 66% of your mortgage knocked off, wouldn't everyone be at it?

It's a fair question and I have my suspicions about 2 particular stories , namely the €60k ones. But I do believe the majority genuinely duped, nieve and desperate.

The saying ,Bicycle and being unable to Ride it comes to mind

I felt the woman in Cork seemed genuinely duped and desperate. You can tell this has had a huge affect on her health. I felt really sorry for her.

The others I feel there is alot more to their stories. The programme last night just gave a basic overview. Alot of relevant questions were not addressed at all.

I fully agree and my heart went out to her 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

I said the same thing last night. A large sum to be paid in cash is dodgy but that's far too easy for both me and you to say.

When people are in debt and in trouble with the banks with their homes, often there are feelings of shame, guilt, embarrassment, fear. These people were vulnerable and they were preyed upon and took advantage of.

Comments on this Facebook post are interesting

https://www.facebook.com/710332814/posts/10158906480177815/?d=n

Excellently put and oddly there'll be consequences if an investigation proceeds , namely some individuals having to explain were these sums of money came from, particularly the two €60K amounts

I think it's fair to say there's no "innocents" in the whole web of lies....the programme left an awful lot of unanswered questions. Where, all of a sudden, did all the cash come from??? If you're in a 300K "hole" why oh why would anyone think some flash blond in a tasty btw could magically reduce the hole by 2/3? Not being cold because I do sympathise/ empathize with the people that got swindled......but just take the whole scenario to the next step......if everyone that had a ,say, 300K hole got a haircut of 200K.......where was all the 'disappeared 200K'' gone???? Somebody HAS to eventually pay the tab.....the taxpayer isn't a 'infinite' source of €€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Utter scumbag, accepting that these people were very naive, but when you are as desperate as they are you're not thinking straight. But for the grace of God and all that. The question I have which wasn't addressed on the programme is how she became aware of these people's difficulties in the first place? Certainly Start Mortgages were involved in at least two of the 18 cases, but there were 18 (I think) in total (and possibly more who knows). So was somebody on the inside providing her with this information or did she advertise her services and they contacted her? In addition to the the bould 'Damian' she clearly couldn't have been acting alone to get their data/details in the first place.

1. I agree about your point no.1. A large sum to be paid in cash is a red flag for me and most people but for people in debt they are in a desperate situation with many bad feelings so they probably don't think straight.

2. Agreed but the world of vulture funds is not that simple either.

3. Not everyone thinks about checking companies history and accounts.

4. I agree with this. Advice from a solicitor should have been sought. These people should have been working with MABS. MABS would have helped them and given free advice.

5. Catriona duped them. Even when the property went for auction she continued her lies and told them it was part of her strategy.

6. They borrowed from friends and families and credit union. I agree these poands should have been provided to the bank in a deal or debt restructuring.

7. I don't think vulture funds have websites either but I am open to correction.

These people were preyed on. They were were in a desperate and vulnerable situation with debt and their homes. It brings so many bad feelings. Catriona was promising a good thing in their eyes and they fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Remember Gay Byrne was conned out of his life savings, not once but twice.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Catriona isn't all that old. She's only about 41 or 42. Looking at her face from the post above she looks older with a face that's slightly sunken in. I would nearly bet large sums of money has been channelled towards drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Just watched it again.

Did the victims keep paying their mortgages or making payments they could afford during the process? Don't think it says anything relating to that.

With all of the texts and delays and excuses they were getting how did someone not get in the car and go down and confront the bitch.

Also as someone says about Mabs. How much arrears were the victims in? I'm not sure that I believe for a second that the lenders where going to repossess residential properties. You'd imagine that if the lender (start etc) were going to get a lump some of 20k,30k or 60k they'd have worked with the borrower.

How many are still in their homes and haven't faced a court date regarding repossession?

I just wouldn't have stood for it. Imagine being 18 months down the line after being told it would take weeks to get a contract and still making calls etc. After handing over 30k I'd have been at her front door. Only one thing these parasites understand and that's intimidation. Maybe her window fitter "solicitor" accomplice could help her fix her windows.

She's in trouble. When she was confronted you could see in her face she knew the game was up.

• Advertisement

Not at all discussed or mentioned re continuing Mortgage payments but highly unlikely.

The continuous calls, texts, false promises is perplexing.

I personally believe most of those affected had actually reached repossession stage, At that stage mabs can't do anything and it's unlikely any sudden payment off arrears would stop repossession process unless a complete clearance of Mortgage debt was offered.

Unfortunately intimidation would not have worked , Carey an expert in deflection and excuses.

She's in trouble alright but I've a strange feeling , not all of the victims will pursue this as they themselves are likely to have questions to Answer, in particular were did the funds come from and then there's proving that actually handed over any funds in cash deal arrangements.

Are you struggling with new Boards Format 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Surely after 60 seconds speaking with Damien the window fitting "solicitor " you would realise there was something dodgy talking place. During most of the conversations he appeared to be in a hurry to go into court. I'm not doubting his sincerity there but I wonder was it the solicitors benches or the Dock that he was heading for!

O, if there's one character in this entire saga who's sincerity can absolutely be questioned, it's that mysterious chap. I suspect the only time this chancer ever appeared in court was as a defendant 😏

If anyone is using or knows someone using financial services companies right now, I’d suggest googling their directors names alongside catriona carey and see if there’s a link.

I found a company that she had in the uk which was struck off. Went through the history and found other directors/company secretarys that were involved at the time the UK company was struck off and are trading right now in Ireland.

Is this guy her partner/husband?

I have to watch it again - it was unclear how they linked Mr Windows to being 'Damien' the solicitor. I know they done it by comparing recordings - which was odd. He must have some personal link to Carey which raised the issue of he being potentially in on it.

Unless she was getting new windows and said to him ' will you pretend to be a solicitor for me' 🤔

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

See this twitter thread which seems to think they've found a link between John "Damian" Stedmond and Catriona Carey via a chap called Patrick Maher...

There's definitely a personal connection and I'd be pretty sure the name being used, not his real name 😏

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What I also noticed on Twitter is that at least one person has set up a Go Fund Me appeal for Carey's victims. Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's a complete balls,they must have got Damien the solicitor to update it!

Advertisement