Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This lady did not set out in business and then found herself in difficulty and found herself using money from one account to keep another afloat. No she set out with a deliberate plan to take cash from clients and trouser the lot! So no she will not be paying anyone back a cent. If she was a misfortune who was down on her luck and was caught shoplifting she would be before the courts but she may be banking (excuse the pun) on the whole hockey/golfing set to shield her from the laws that really should only apply to the peasants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭MacDanger

For the house in Louth that went up on BidX apparently without them knowing - is that they way that would normally operate? I'd have thought that that the seller (the bank in this case) would have needed to get a court order to sell a property like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Absolutely not , I suspect this was a commercial mortgage and rules a little different, at a guess and it's just a guess it was subject to liquidation, Buyers would have been aware of this and I've absolutely no doubt the son knew full well what was going on. This absolutely would not happen or be permitted if it was a private Home mortgage, the property would have to have been repossesd (Takes years) , fully before it could be sold.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What amazed me was that she continued to engage with the people she had scammed, long after she had got the money from them.

I can understand scamming people and then being nowhere to be found or uncontactable but to continue to answer phone and chat with them, even meeting up in person, I find that very odd.

Good point and it is very odd , I can only assume she kept engaging to prolong any potential action from victims as she was already before the courts, almost a clever ploy to avoid attention, deflect potential/ further charges, as it is she got off very lightly for the fraud she carried out on a hairdressing client. One thing for sure, she's cunning and devious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Her ability to lie to people so frequently and for so long in such a calm and calculated manner, and her ability to manipulate people with fake empathy while destroying them, seemed completely psychopathic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of Catriona's dodgy companies is called Careysfort Capital. There is however a legitimate company called Carysfort Capital (no 'e'). This company have taken the step of announcing on their website that they have no connection to Ms. Carey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Agreed - it was strange scamming in many ways.

I was expecting follow-up requests for money (just another €2K needed off you to unlock the land registry folio magic deeds) which is the way these advance-fee scams traditionally work, but she seemed to be happy with just the initial payment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ciara from Chara Legal was interviewed on KCLR FM last April - ~37mins in - given what we now know, it sounds more like a drive to recruit more marks...

I guess by keeping in touch she was keeping them onside and delaying them from reporting her. Also a key part of her plan was to generally insist on a cash deposit which meant the clients might be reluctant to report her as they would have a bit of explaining to do.

• Advertisement

Yes, RTE Very careful to mention the company had no connection to any other company of a similar name, that must be the one 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

They were probably getting all kinds of requests for comments and/or abuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, they'd been fairly carefully chosen by the sounds of it. Now she would not have had that info, presumably her insider in one of those 'non bank' mortgage providers did.

It'd be fairly straightforward to identify people based on the repossession proceedings which I'd say had been issued against most of these. They wouldn't need an insider.

How do you mean 😕, Whilst repossession hearings are generally heard in open court (Circuit and some in the High court) I got an impression the "Barrister at Law degree lady" recommended Carey to some of these folks , but that said I don't believe she's a practising Barrister and I thinking (Guessing) someone, perhaps her (allegedly) was giving (Bad) financial advice to these folks and it was during that process the recommendations were made. Other than that Carey would have had to sit through court cases and whilst she's quite familiar with Courts 😁, that approach would seem very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Shes one scary person. Defrauded family and business associates, still continued in the community and then the "calm" way she interacted with these people. Something very unhinged I'd say..

At a minimum you can see the court listings for the High Court and the Circuit Court and hang around when the cases are heard. The court pleadings are public record too so I think anyone can go and look at them on the court file if they wanted to. Open to correction on the latter though.

I'm not at all doubting this was an option and possibility but from the reporting it would appear , personal introductions, recommendations made and I just doubt Carey hung around courts looking for prey, she's far to cunning for that. Besides these repossession hearings are I presume very emotional, traumatic experiences, I'd doubt any litigants would be in any frame of mind to talk to a total stranger and its also possible either they in attendance with a solicitor or representative of Mabs or FLAC.

True, that's most likely what happened here for sure. I was just saying they wouldn't necessarily need an insider in the lender to identify targets as someone else suggested.

• Advertisement

What's the story with Careys husband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

They probably will be patting her on the back for getting away with all the money, like the way she walked away with Dj money.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

First thing that struck me about the Tullow 'legal mediator' Ciara Ruschitzko, is that she's probably a grand daughter of the famous Laois hurler Paddy, who had Carlow connections. All the hurling angles to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

There is such a thing as a 'suckers list' - people who have been successfully scammed before are prime targets to be scammed again as they have demonstrated themselves to be susceptible to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I would have thought there is a man in her life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She has 1 maybe 2 children so there was a man around alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

To all these great poster who have done all this digging and are slapping themselves in the back after watching this program. How about you try and put yourselves in the place these people were in and there frame of mind at the time. Probably living day by day letters from everyone they owed money to weekly are you really saying you be in the frame of mind to think clearly know a name and do Google searches would ye f&%k. So how about vet off yer high horses. No wonder people would not want to revel there identities if scammed.

As for Catriona she knows exactly what she is doing from the agreement signed and where she has registered the companies. Given they are companies her and the others more then likely have limited liability and it would be up to whoever is prosecuting to prove without a doubt they know what they were doing

• Advertisement

You would be at least a little curious if you were about to give them 60k I reckon.

I don't care what frame of mind you were in there is no way you would hand over 2o grand and more in some cases( 20 grand that you had to round up from friends and family BTW) without at least typing her shagging name into your phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

60k where your 300k mortgage would then be bought and you would have seriously reduces mortgage. Again we are not talking about people who are thinking straight and has hindsight. We are talking about people who are at there wits end bills up to there eyeballs and the threat (regardless of what we know of repositions) of there house been taken away and homeless. They got sold a solution and in there desperation cringed to anything. Yes I am sure they were sold on giving the bankers (who everyone blame) a bloody nose so to speak which was a great hook

There was no rock on the finger as far as I noticed...I had a look!

But they were been sold a solution by a company not just her not everybody is as "smart" as you when they are in desperate times and there frame of mind. People are great at saying what we would do giving facts and hindsight but not so good at putting ourselves in that time or frame of mind and deciding what we would do

• Advertisement

No was wondering if there was some poor bastard she was married to

Steady on there, you've obviously plucked one or two posts and formed an assertion that is wrong.

I'll speak for myself but others may wish to add their thoughts.

This program attempted to expose an appalling scam, it did a reasonable job but many questions remained unanswered, particularly the possible involvement of a number of individuals behind this outrageous scam. Numerous posters were able to identify very curious activities, directors, various connected companies and individuals etc and I see absolutely nothing wrong with such details being outed. I do question why RTE didn't include some information easily found by a quick Google search however.

I've not seen any targeted viterol leveled at specific victims, indeed many posters have been very sympathetic including myself . However there are a number of cases highlighted in the program that deserve closer scrutiny, because and to be blunt, they border on farcical and quite unbelievable. There's also two €60k deposit payments and they certainly beg some scrutiny . There was also a very odd and curious sale of one property that simply defies logic and the portrayal of what happened in the program is certainly questionable. I don't doubt for a second the serious pressure some of these people were under.

I freely admit I have suspicions about, perhaps 3 of the cases mentioned in the program but equally believe and have expressed my sympathy for others who seemed to be genuinely duped.

We all know how cunning, Devious and repugnant Carey is.

I'm certainly not back slapping but certainly appreciate any further insight into this disgraceful scam, I see no reason to apologise for seeking answers as to what really happened.

So you think you need to be " smart" to Google someone's name before you hand over 20, 30, 40 k whatever! A search would have told you that this lady was so inept/ crooked that she had a suspended prison sentence for ,wait for it in terms of being clever...altering a cheque that one of her clients made out to the revenue. Something stinks here, not one of the clients that handed over thousands mentioned anything about going to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Achilles Knee

I wouldn't put it past her to pull off, so to speak, an immaculate conception 😂

• Advertisement

I agree with your overall point that they were desperate and not thinking straight (or some were, I'm not convinced they all were).

But the information about her was so easy to find that it's just inconceivable that someone connected to them at least wouldn't do a basic Google before handing over the money. If I was giving a family member money to take part in this I'd want to know for their sake that they were going to be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've followed this thread from the start. The great work was exposing links to the Carey woman and rightly calling her out as a nasty piece of work.

All that was said in relation to the victims, is that there may be more details to their stories that we haven't been exposed to. Nobody has been on any high horses.

You seem to have come late to the party and taking a wrong notion of some honest posters.

Now there's an area she could get into, a lot of low hanging fruit there. It's not that long ago since grown adults were convinced they saw statues moving around, in fact many drove hundreds of miles to watch them "moving "

No I think you are "smart" after watching the program and knowing what to google and not been in the situation these people may have been in. As I said numerous times try and put yourself in what they may have been going through and there mental health at the time. People are quick to say what you would do with what you know know now and your circumstances but do try and think what people at the time may be in there life and mental health is that so hard to understand

I did not name name but by the end of the thread I was reading was saying well done look what we can get with a simple search. But they wee certainly a few per pages wondering why these people were not doing "simple google searches. While it was not you you can not say it was not happening and this look what we find by just a google smacked to me as how can people be scammed

No I have read the whole thread thanks very much and there is certainly a lot of people asking how could they be scammed can they not do a simple google, do they not who she is and all that. All I am saying is pout yourself in there position of desperation low mental health maybe they do not follow news stories like her scamming DJ who knows. I am just saying things are great in hindsight and when you have a clear head. Could some know they be getting 1 over on the banks and it clouded there thought of course but it has to be taken as a whole and why do people not think rational all the time

I can see were your coming from but I'm only saying that I feel the searches were more about identifying further information regarding the Shenanigans not primarily to denegrade the victims, admitidly as it became apparent there was more to this debacle, people, including me began to have suspicions . From my own perspective, I'm more alarmed and mindful some of these people were under pressure, the scam itself was so blatantly unworkable it bordered on ludicrous, that is not intended to denegrade genuine victims who were clearly under pressure. I do however and until proven otherwise have genuine suspicions about a number of the cases, of course I could be completely wrong and will humbly admit to that if and when proven to be so.

I'm not sure if you either haven't read this thread from the beginning or you, like the moving statue folk, only see what you wish to see.

Putting Catriona Carey’s name into google 2-3 years ago and the top search would have been the swindling going on with her brothers company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement