Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates [RTE 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I think to be fair that was a case of liquidation, caused by financial crash, I don't believe there was any attempt to defraud or deliberately not pay people so to speak

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think it was directly related to his thieving sister though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Deeec

Did anyone find a website for her company - I can't seem to find one. Was she trading under any name other than Careysfort Asset Estates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

That’s the trap. The borrowers scrape together what they can, hand it to over and the process begins. The borrower is unlikely to contact The Original lenders (banks, building societies) quickly to check on progress of their mortgage being reassigned because questions mat get asked of the borrower. Like where did you get 20 grand from to pay the other lot while you haven’t paid us for quite some time…

She appears to have 3 companies in Ireland and 1 in the UK (this one used in the scam), I can't find a single website for any of the companies. Intriguingly she has "Careysfort Assets Estates limited" registered in the UK, registered address in London, almost struck off 4 months ago and 'Careysfort (Asset) estates Limited" registered in Ireland, Dublin address, notice the dropping of the (S) in assets, she's listing her occupation as an Accountant.

Very Devious and Cunning, I'm not even sure if she is actually an accountant but at a minimum the recent conviction would suggest she certainly would not be permitted to sign off on accounts and or perhaps be restricted from acting as an accountant 🤔

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Advertisement

Apologies yes, your correct, I was thinking about DJ"S and his former partners (Dragon) business collapse, not Dj"s cleaning business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Surely the ones who were asked for a cash payment knew there was something dodgy about the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭dublin49

She has stolen at least 500K under false pretences and will unlikely be punished harshly or probably not at all.This country is really poor at dealing with criminal activity like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's very easy to say that. But there's a reason why the are called conmen/women and fraudsters.

The victims were targeted directly by the solicitor and groomed for this crime to be committed. There would have been a period of building trust and so on to make it possible.

This woman managed to dupe her own brother and ruin him so it's no surprise she managed to do it to desperate strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

She's admitted that she owed these people their money back but due to circumstances can't do so now...but these people did it to get their mortgage amount values written down by their mortgage provider selling it on at a big discount....a lot of high profile cases seemed to have succeeded in achieving this namely frank McNamara and his wife Theresa lowe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

I heard an old saying before, "you cant con an honest man"...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

MABS are there for anyone in such financial dire straits.

Such a neck on her, Ireland is such a small place to pull off swindles such as she has.

I hope she is held to account for her actions

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Obviously, terrible that people got scammed and robbed but a question that needs to be asked of the victims is:

You are in arrears for your mortgage and you are able to gather 15-60k euro to pay a deposit for a new loan (albeit reduced monthly repayments). Why did you not use that money to pay back some of the arrears.

Banks are not THAT bad. They'll put a plan in place. They just want to get their money back. Evicting and repossessing is a last resort due to the length of time it takes.

Only one of the numerous people mentioned yesterday had taken out a credit union loan.

And I would assume that they were not paying any of their mortgage for the past 2 years as they were told Carey bought the mortgage so I don't think they'd be paying their "old" lender each month when they understood they no longer owned the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

She might have called herself an accountant but she is not a member of ACCA (as she claimed) - easily verified by checking the register of members (https://www.accaglobal.com/gb/en/member/find-an-accountant/directory-of-member.html). Unfortunately most people take you at your word when you say you're an accountant and don't check. A minor detail in her overall despicable behaviour but, as an actual accountant, it pissed me off for a lowlife like her to be using the letter designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is this one DJ's missus?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I see we're your coming and your correct but in the sense the deal Frank Mc Namara and his wife did was a personal insolvency arrangement. In their case they had assets and an inheritance to use as leverage.

This said there's been some extraordinary PIA's approved by the High Court recently involving just a family home, deals like extending mortgage term (never an option previously) and in one case a person paying a reduced payment until they are in their 90's .

Whatever about the rights, wrongs of such deals it does appear that even vulture funds are accepting (albeit reluctantly) long term deals.

I agree and her alleged membership of the ACCA was mentioned 😏

No, Sister (Black sheep of the family) so to speak and worth pointing out she's been involved in shenanigans since 2010/11 😡

Those PIAs would make you sick.

I know some people who got them who were so irresponsible with money. Taking loans out to pay other loans. Running up massive bills on credit in multiple stores. Mortgage arrears.

So they get this PIA thing and they're given a budget depending on their income. After 5 years all debts are wiped.

These people are living the life of reilly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

There's something sexy about her in fairness. I'd be sucked in too

• Advertisement

I agree that some PIA's are extraordinary, I'm just pointing out whilst some do involve debt write off , some also (and only recently) deal with a mortgage arrear scenario and a long term repayment solution, but yes, I hear you 😏

You are correct but I would just say, even Mabs have limited ability to help in situations we're repossession is inevitable and it would appear this was the case in these situations, that said there was the option of personal insolvency, Abhaile Mortgage to rent schemes etc . But clearly these people either poorly advised or desperate.

Ah she's all auld and wrinkly!

The only sexy thing was that BMW

Catriona Carey is a director of Watershed International Securities Ltd

I googled one of the employees and this article came up

“A native of Tullow, lawyer Ciara Ruschitzko has set up Chara Legal, a network of professional people who bring varied skills to the table. It will help clients to navigate the legal process, including debt settlement and family law, training for those who wish to represent themselves in court along with other services.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You know, I was thinking did RTE release the program now, to see if more victims would come forward. All done of course will the advise from Gardai.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

A good post and something along the lines of what I was just coming on to post.

Like everyone here I think it’s disgusting what was done to these people and hope there is some sort of justice got for them but they have to bear some of the responsibility themselves.

How are you not able to make payments on your mortgage but can hand over a €60k deposit to a new company? A lot of it stems back to the recession attitude where everyone that got greedy and over borrowed decided it was the banks fault for giving me the money, they should have known I couldn’t afford it, f**k them I’m not paying it back, or something along those lines. It’s also the reason those of us that do pay our loans are paying such high interest rates. But people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

If you can gather up €60k for a fraudster why didn’t you go to your existing bank with that €60k, give it to them as a payment and come to an arrangement on the remainder? Or the man that had €30k sitting in the bank left to him by his father, why leave that sitting there to give to a fraudster when he could have reduced some of his existing debt with it and made things easier for himself?

Again I will say it’s disgusting what was done to vulnerable people but they aren’t totally blameless. The reason they were able to be scammed so easily is because they thought they were the ones going to be scamming the banks by getting their loans reduced by 66% and keeping their properties. As someone said further up the thread “you can’t con an honest man”. If any of them had to go to a reputable solicitor and ask advice on the proposals put to them they would have immediately been told such a proposal is actually illegal in this country.

I’m sure I will get slated for saying all that but if you think about it logically it is true.

I'm also curious about the Mysterious Barrister 🤔, did RTE seek to track this person down. From what I gather this individual recommended Carey , obviously a recommendation is not an offence in itself but it would seem more than one victim sent in Careys direction by this Barrister who is clearly known to some of the individuals caught up in this Debacle.

It would also suggest if victims were engaging with a Barrister, it's quite possible matters had progressed to imminent repossession almost 2 years ago 🤔

I wonder how many victims she has in the UK. No doubt she went to the UK to swindle money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

That’s what I was thinking until I remembered somebody I know who got conned out of €200000 . ( he eventually got it back ) It’s called EASY MONEY and that’s all they can see at the time

• Advertisement

Her UK company was almost struck off in the UK four months ago 😳 I've no doubt she put her shenanigan skills to good use in the UK 😏

Only learned this morning, that awful clown and poster boy Financial adviser of the celtic tiger era "Eddie Hobbs" popped up on Claire Byrne Live, how ironic is that 🙄

Advertisement