Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Comments

I out in town last weekend a couple of nights. I walked from grafton street to Parnell street both nights as I had friends staying in a hotel there. The worst I had was a couple of people asking for money, fairly persistently, I didn’t feel unsafe myself but it definitely felt a bit more run down than it previously was.

It’s a city so I think you need to expect that element of “edge”, every city has it, however, it did feel very much like it has got worse since last time i was in town, it was filthy in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am absent from Dublin for quite a while.

However it's hard to believe that Temple Bar, and around St. Stephen's green would be full of drug dealers exchanging "merchandise" and that being a very common sight.

Temple Bar, drinking, moderate or out of control yes, but I don't think drugs are the major factor there.

If this was about East Wall, then yes, I would believe it very much.

You see a bit of it but you always did, this perception that the town is full of dealers on every corner is completely untrue.

There were more homeless people about for sure, I guess they moved in when others moved out in the pandemic. The large majority are harmless though, I generally feel sorry for them sitting out in the freezing cold looking for their next fix.

Like I say, the main difference for me how just how dirty it was, the whole place needs a serious scrub as it looks really run down.

You see a bit of it but you always did, this perception that the town is full of dealers on every corner is completely untrue. 

There were more homeless people about for sure, I guess they moved in when others moved out in the pandemic. The large majority are harmless though, I generally feel sorry for them sitting out in the freezing cold looking for their next fix. 

Like I say, the main difference for me how just how dirty it was, the whole place needs a serious scrub as it looks really run down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think you've put your finger on the problem which is perception.

The city may not factually be as unsafe as people say but the perception is that it is. Which isn't surprising with the lack of policing, the packs of little scrotes you see everywhere, the addicts, aggressive begging, random scraps etc.

That means the damage is already done for much of the public who will do their best to avoid the city center because of the perception it's dangerous or edgy or you're just going to get agro if you go in.

That just exacerbates the downward spiral. Less people, less business, more dereliction, more empty streets, empty stores, more edginess about the place.

And it becomes a growing problem when you are trying to improve things, attract jobs and money to the city.

Let's be honest employers want to know their employees would be happy to live somewhere. Especially if some of those employees are from abroad and may have a fair bit of money themselves and reasonable standard of living expectations.

Dublin is not giving a great image at the moment.

Another thing I've notice is the amount of graffiti in the last couple of years too. Not a serious issue in itself but it just adds to the run down feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭mcgragger

I work at Ormond Quay.

Daily I have to step over human **** to get into the building in the morning.

When I am in the canteen at work I can see the back lane and junkies shooting up openly. One fella last week dropped the trousers and injected into his cock by the looks of it from my vantage point. In the boardroom we can see the O donavan Rossa brigde (4 courts) and there is open drug dealing every day. Electric scooter, grey cotton tracksuits, black nike runners and black puffer jackets etc. Thats the uniform.

I am from Dublin and I am ashamed of the place now as a native. I hate what it has become and the irony of it all is the rent and property prices people have to pay is mental.

Its a hellhole everywhere bar the leafy southside areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

In fairness that's the kind of thing you would only see in Dublin 1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For a specific event like a concert? It's acceptable. I farther than that from my office where I go every few weeks. Of course, around these parts (Texas), 80 minutes is going to meet a couple of friends for an afternoon. I got a different perspective on 'scale' and 'distance' after I moved away from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Fair enough, yeah for a specific event it's not the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And is that all the positives you perceive in Dublin? Croke Park & Landsdown road? You don't consider the restaurants, the huge range of food, the bars, cafes, galleries, museums, beaches, parks, clubs, societies, arts & music scene, ect.. as positives? Let alone the heritage, complex history, architectural splendour.

I'm just interested, did you never did anything of cultural value when you lived there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Yeah down the quays can be pretty unpleasant - if you go past the civic offices on Wood Quay most days there is a lot of open drug dealing/grim stuff going on - most people would never walk down that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is very little architectural splendor in Dublin. A consequence of empire and a state that didn't have a pot to piss in for decades tbh.

Dublin has all of the amenities you mention, but of those that are unique how often does the average Dubliner visit them? People are not exactly visiting the national museums every week. Great food, restaurants pubs beaches etc can be found easily outside the city too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

May not have that much architectural splendor but still far more than any other town or city in the country. For all its ills it still has some really nice urban areas and buildings. Look at Galway for e.g., looks like a one horse town village with no architecture of note or nice squares or anything, just has a look of a pumped up midlands town absolutely choked with traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In terms of fine civic architecture, there aren't many places in Dublin that exemplify that. Grand Canal Dock, maybe? But even that is run down with almost all of the inground architectural lighting broken.

In any case, when comparing areas to live in, you have to take a much broader view. For many people, not having to look at junkies and scrotes, and in particular not having their children growing up with them far far outweighs and perceived civic or amenity benefits that Dublin has to offer.

The only draw Dublin has, or rather had was employment. If WFH continues, the city will be abandoned by anyone with sense.

This isn't unique. The hollowing out of cities has happened many times before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most of Dublin 2 is quite nice, the old Georgian squares, around the canal, Baggot St, Leeson st, Ballsbridge, etc. Bizarre how myself and all my friends, cousins etc, grew up on the northside of Dublin and all have good lives now, times were tougher and rougher back in the day too. I think it's a bit rich for you to tell people the draws it does or doesn't have, given so many people are happy and have good lives in Dublin. I have 2 friends who moved back last year from Vancouver, after 5 years, to raise their 2 kids here, as they prefer the life here and now have a place in Phibsborough. This is Ireland, not Sierra Leone.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

People taking crack on every corner? I don't know what part of Dublin OP was in, but I've never seen this in the city centre and I moved to Dublin 10+ years ago. Also, what has having no family over here anything to do with Dublin being unliveable?

There are far worse European capitals out there. If you think Dublin is bad, then you won't be able to survive anywhere in continental Europe or even London for that matter. Every large capital has nice and not so nice areas. Simply don't venture out in the sketchy areas and you'll be fine.

I'm not saying Dublin is the best city in the world, but in comparison to other places, it really is pretty safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say every week? Just cause you don't doesn't mean other don't. I at least go to a restaurant, beach, park, cafe, club every week, others about once a month. Great food restaurants and beaches can be easily found outside the city, but they're not in or near the city and there's more choice of restaurants in a city.

Check this out, get back to me when you've visited all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

A lot of people might miss it but Dublin city is dripping with all sorts of beautiful occult/masonic and classical pagan inspired architecture. Places such as the Edwin Lutyens designed 'National War Memorial' is beautifully creepy and its full creepiness is laid straight out in the open. There are loads of really cool Baroque and Palladian style buildings all over the city centre with all sorts of occult and masonic symbology strewn on them. The designs of these buildings work on the basis of utilising the dynamics between light and shadow. You delve deeper into what these symbols and designs represent, you start to see them all over the town and you can spend a fantastic and totally free day walking about the place visiting them too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

I'll agree with half the people here saying the hyperbole of crack being smoked on every corner is ludicrous but I'll also have to point out, of those people calling it untrue, how many of you actually walk with your eyes not on your phone and looking around you? It takes actually looking to notice the bad things going on around you.. If you're so beat into your TikToks and your Instagrams how will you see anything bar the couple of traffic lights you're forced to look at.

It's really bad but it's also not the worst. We've yet to have daily drive-bys and random gun murders claiming childrens lives but we're not far off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Caught with baseball bats and pitchforks

arrest - convict - sentence … force the parents hand, make them… parent… they don’t want to be paying for little Kelvin or Kayleigh into their ‘20’s when they can’t get a job due to various convictions..

I’m not up on precise laws but I’m reading a lad 10 years ago was arrested and charged with possession of an article with intent to cause injury.. a baseball bat…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was out last night. Jesus its grim once you cross over to the northside over the Ha'penny bridge. Really realy grim.

Liffey St, Lotts, Middle Abbey St, O'Connell St etc. Its a sh1thole. Needs looking at asap. The southside/northside divide has never been bigger. In that area of town anyway. North Lotts is basically a dangerous junkie street now. And if there aren't junkies theres gangs of scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭apache

Never go into town any more. Have reason to have to go in the next few weeks which I'm not looking forward to. I actually hate it. It might be a good time to get to know Dublin again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jaysus that's terrifying. Not even sure who the lad with the knife was trying to stab there, could easily have gotten either of the two on the ground with those wild swings.

I can't say if its worse or not but crossing the liffey has always been an extreme sport.

Southside was absolutely buzzing last night. Georges St, Dame Lane/Court, St William St, Castle Market et al.

Capel St too but that aside the entire north quays and beyond is a complete toilet.

Yeah and I know what im getting. But hadnt been that way after working hours for a while and the place has gone downhill rapidly. Its a real dump. Half the shops are closed or boarded up, its dirty and grim.

North Lotts Street and Bachelors Walk/Way should be and could be one of the coolest places in the city.

Look at the fcuking state of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

jeez...some parts of Dublin have really turned into scobieland,not all of it but enough to make you think 'what the fook is gone wrong?' ive lived in Dublin for about 40yrs and i have to say i dont like what im seeing in the last several years...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭apache

Seems I have to conduct my business in the shitholes. I have avoided town for about a year!

They are probably the children born during the celtic tiger years, when things were good, spending was cheap and easy and nobody had a care in the world.

I think the problem is that their parents are struggling financially and their children realize they have no real future ahead of them. Housing unaffordable within their lifetime, sky high rents, nothing really to achieve.

Some turn their frustration to violence, others are stuck in poorly paid jobs but try to be law abiding.

Is Dublin really that bad these days? ( Sorry to ask, but I've been absent for a while )

• Advertisement

No. A lot of the city is thriving. Most of it actually. Places like Stonybatter, Capel St, Inchicore and Rialto have been transformed. Places southside of the city centre like Camden St are great. But for some reason that north quays and north inner city area of the city is a complete kip. Worse than ever nearly. Pics above are about 30 feet from O'Connell St.

I remember Cabra and Phibsborough to be bad places, and it started to get worse North of Parnell street, but that might have changed.

Marino and Fairview were also always a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most homeless people live in the city centre thats where the services are located ,its very rare i see a fight or an argument on the street . I,ve never seen anyone taking heroin, there has always been rough area,s in dublin.Many area,s of dublin are quieter and better than ever, we have the luas, we have new offices being built.theres street cleaners working every day all over dublin. i see no problem with people selling decorations, at xmas for 2 weeks. Every city has junkies and some level of crime ,but i think dublin is generally a good place to live.you need common sense ,if theres 2 or 3 young people hanging round a lane do not go there, turn around,walk the other way homeless people beg ,they are not all junkies.

i see young people walking around with a phone in their back pocket so obviously they feel safe.

the city centre is fairly quiet after 10pm, apart from people going to pubs, clubs or temple bar area.

just google crime new york city or los angeles ,its much worse than dublin

Unbelivable, Joe. Unbelivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In los Angeles there's posh million dollar homes. 5 minutes down the street there's

an area with 100s of people living in tents at least in Dublin there's a system where

people can live in hostels rather than on the streets I cycle around Dublin every day. It's very rare to see people using drugs if there's people dealing openly I never noticed it there's a wide range areas in Dublin working class middle class

and areas like ballsbridge where a house can be 700k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Always the comparisons with the worst places.

It's very easy to see people dealing drugs in the city centre. Wasn't back one day and I saw a bunch of deals from kids on escooters. It's rough enough.

You are right Dublin has always had a lot of rough areas. I havent seen much if any improvement over the last two decades, yet Ireland and Dublin should be much richer

The DART is decrepit. I guess Dublin bus is the main area of improvement. The LUAS badly mismanaged and iften unsafe, many riders don't even buy tickets since nobody was checking.

The commuters trains old diesels and noisy too. The train stations grotty and badly laid out and connected.

I noticed a lot of provincial towns were much improved over the last decade, my gut feeling is Dublin is vastly underfunded for it's hugely increased population and also versus its economic output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

the guards need to bring back a bit of of the “Lugs Brannigan” style of policing for the junkies and never do wells types

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

D1 is grim but "Its a hellhole everywhere bar the leafy southside areas" is not true.

Malahide, Castleknock, Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Phibsborough, Beaumont, Clontarf, Portmarknock, Howth.

then to cheaper more working class spots but central and decent these days, Cabra east, Finglas east, Santry, Marino, Ashtown.

All spots i'd take any day of the week over rural areas, theres a reason people sacrifice so much to be in cities. Understand the rural appeal also but its not for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Glass half full or empty? My yardstick is the Dublin I grew up in the 80s when I moved from the suburbs to north inner city. Dublin then was like bombed out East Berlin DDR style. There are still huge pockets of dereliction but at least the trajectory is going in the right direction. The Docklands is the most notable example but there are many pockets of improvement. The leaders of the pack (sticking within the canals) are: Islandbridge, Chapelizard, Stoneybatter/Grangegorman campus, Ringsend, Kilmainham, Portobello, Smithfield, the Guinness area off Thomas St and parts of the Liberties like Francis/Meath St. Still stuck in 80s mode are: the Coombe, Pimlico, Mountjoy to the Five Lamps and beyond to East Wall and Maryland/ Donore to Dolphins Barn.

Irish Rail and the Dart operators are still stuck in 80s mode. There's no shortage of money so why are those antiques still rattling around? Connolly Stn is junkie central. Same can be said for DCC relative to their more effective peers in Rathdown and Fingal CC. Remarkable how DCC and IR rail management are invisible and totally unaccountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I know for a fact the Garda are told not to arrest the homeless & beggars & drug users around O Connell street unless they something terrible,

There seen as pointless arrest & it takes the Garda off the streets ,

Garda on the ground hate this & want to get them off the streets but can't go against orders ,

What do you do with them? Forced rehabilitation? Keep them in holding cells?

Theyre as close to a pointless arrest as you could think. Junkies aren't the issue, they're relatively harmless but obviously an issue/eyesore.

We need areas for specific types of people. City centre should be for tourist, workers and law abiding citizens.

Satellite drug towns with legalisation is what we need for adults who want to use. Same with social housing.

Satellite towns where anyone not part of good society can be housed. They can all run riot. Ring roads is all you'd need to police then.

Anyone trying to get into norm Town needs a day pass or they need to sneak in via bogland and fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Junkies need to be housed in the same area with people on social housing ?

why should people living in social housing have to deal with junkies ?

You start with should they be forced into rehabilitation or holding cells & end with they should be forced to live in a certain area, which is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

As many have said, D1 is generally very run down and it is worsened by the junkies and over concentration of poor social housing.

but with new hotels going up in D1 and the Clerys & old Debenhams buildings reopening soon, there will be a boost for the area.

Making Smithfield market a fulltime market is also being worked on, but why it takes so long to get it up and running when it housed markets over paddys weekend is a mystery.

D1 aside though, most of south east dublin in particular is lovely.

Thats where id reccomend tourists go.

lovely houses, bars, restaurants, cafes, theatres, sports grounds, sea, harbour, parks and beaches with the mountains on your doorstep.

And not a junkie or scoobie in sight.

Best part of the country bar none.

D1 is like a different city. literally.

No as my OP said, different sites for different types. They'd be separate satellite cities.

We don't all live together in harmony. Having addicts in the city centre for clinics and dealers is doomed for failure. Not legalising drugs is doomed for failure.

Having social housing complexes/flats in City centre is doomed for failure. I don't expect any of this to ever happen by the way. Merely expressing my view of how I think the country should be setup.

If I was the king of Ireland that's the model I'd be looking to follow anyway.

Loads of junkies in Dun Laoghaire. Always has been.

I really don't know what the city council are doing on the northside. Almost all of the good places are due to private investment. Pubs, restaurants etc.

Look at the cut of this for example. The old burned out SF HQ. How long has it been like this for? 5 years?

There are some in DL yes, but down by the Seafront or sunday market etc i never see any.

Head round the corner to Sandycove beach and Glasthule village and its stunning on a nice day like yesterday or today. Outdoor cafes and great family buzz.

Lots of other lovely villages in South East Dublin where its very rare you see any undesirables and all the villages have a great vibe to them.

Great variety of shops, bars restaurants and general amenities.

But DCC in D1 are just awful as you say.

I dont know how they keep their job to be honest. They never seem to improve anything in D1.

But we just avoid D1, spend our time and money in the nice parts of the city on the southside and there are a lot of people doing the same.

Dublin is a big place and D1 is a world apart fron D6, D4 etc. couldnt be more different.

But DCC should be doing more for D1.

care to elaborate more. who's calling the shots ...politicos or senior mangement?

Visited the refurbished Dun Laoighaire baths today. Very nice. Went on to the Forty Foot ...first time in my life to see it. Again nice. Especially the foot paths and cycle lanes and access to swimming spots. All down to Rathdown CC I presume. DCC still have Bull Wall and Clontarf in a mess by comparison. Red Rocks in Howth is fine.

Yeah, DLR seem to take more pride in public facilities and their look and style vs DCC.

Shame DCC cant have a bit of imagination.

Glad you enjoyed the day out!

To hell or Connaught! A bit harsh. Put all the methadone centres in the Bog of Allen along with portacabins and the wind turbines? I'd be happy to move them all to Montrose as a starter. They can hassle all the chatteratti as they preen themselves in the green room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

The comment Dublin is a big place made me laugh. The area between the canals isn't big and they still can't fix it up.

Sure the council haven't been able to get neither the smithfield market nor the liberties market up and running in a city desperately in need of something different than chain stores or pubs.

i know they are 'working on it'.....for decades.

The only big improvement I noticed on the northside, is the grangegorman/cabra area. Although inmho large parts of Cabra aswell as East wall, should be knocked down and redeveloped, the huge number of ridiculously small ex council houses (and frankly ugly, with not many retail outlets) in a central area are not fit for purpose.

DCC aren't even cleaning the streets properly in large sections of North inner city and out to the Northside. The place looks dilapidated. Places like Dorset st. are absolutely filthy partly cos.they still use bin bags there!

It also doesn't seem to help that a lot of redevelopmentsin places like Phibsboro have been held up by objectors.

My last commentis I think they almost destroyed Smtihfield by over developing it and local businesses such as traditional pubs are almost gone . You don't get any feeling that it used to be a famous horse market, nothing..its a bit sad. It wasn't great in the past I know but the square itself seems to have shrunk tremendously as a public space. Grangegorman was done right though.

Yes the south coastal area sich as Monkstown was always the 'tony area ' of Dublin, but how about upgrading the rest of it. They are concentrating their emegency and homeless housing and drug treatment centres in the North inner city, they shouldn't use it as a dumping ground for the city's and country's social problems.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Advertisement
Advertisement