Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

I out in town last weekend a couple of nights. I walked from grafton street to Parnell street both nights as I had friends staying in a hotel there. The worst I had was a couple of people asking for money, fairly persistently, I didn’t feel unsafe myself but it definitely felt a bit more run down than it previously was.

It’s a city so I think you need to expect that element of “edge”, every city has it, however, it did feel very much like it has got worse since last time i was in town, it was filthy in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am absent from Dublin for quite a while.

However it's hard to believe that Temple Bar, and around St. Stephen's green would be full of drug dealers exchanging "merchandise" and that being a very common sight.

Temple Bar, drinking, moderate or out of control yes, but I don't think drugs are the major factor there.

If this was about East Wall, then yes, I would believe it very much.

You see a bit of it but you always did, this perception that the town is full of dealers on every corner is completely untrue.

There were more homeless people about for sure, I guess they moved in when others moved out in the pandemic. The large majority are harmless though, I generally feel sorry for them sitting out in the freezing cold looking for their next fix.

Like I say, the main difference for me how just how dirty it was, the whole place needs a serious scrub as it looks really run down.

You see a bit of it but you always did, this perception that the town is full of dealers on every corner is completely untrue. 

There were more homeless people about for sure, I guess they moved in when others moved out in the pandemic. The large majority are harmless though, I generally feel sorry for them sitting out in the freezing cold looking for their next fix. 

Like I say, the main difference for me how just how dirty it was, the whole place needs a serious scrub as it looks really run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,444 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think you've put your finger on the problem which is perception.

The city may not factually be as unsafe as people say but the perception is that it is. Which isn't surprising with the lack of policing, the packs of little scrotes you see everywhere, the addicts, aggressive begging, random scraps etc.

That means the damage is already done for much of the public who will do their best to avoid the city center because of the perception it's dangerous or edgy or you're just going to get agro if you go in.

That just exacerbates the downward spiral. Less people, less business, more dereliction, more empty streets, empty stores, more edginess about the place.

And it becomes a growing problem when you are trying to improve things, attract jobs and money to the city.

Let's be honest employers want to know their employees would be happy to live somewhere. Especially if some of those employees are from abroad and may have a fair bit of money themselves and reasonable standard of living expectations.

Dublin is not giving a great image at the moment.

Another thing I've notice is the amount of graffiti in the last couple of years too. Not a serious issue in itself but it just adds to the run down feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

I work at Ormond Quay.

Daily I have to step over human **** to get into the building in the morning.

When I am in the canteen at work I can see the back lane and junkies shooting up openly. One fella last week dropped the trousers and injected into his cock by the looks of it from my vantage point. In the boardroom we can see the O donavan Rossa brigde (4 courts) and there is open drug dealing every day. Electric scooter, grey cotton tracksuits, black nike runners and black puffer jackets etc. Thats the uniform.

I am from Dublin and I am ashamed of the place now as a native. I hate what it has become and the irony of it all is the rent and property prices people have to pay is mental.

Its a hellhole everywhere bar the leafy southside areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

In fairness that's the kind of thing you would only see in Dublin 1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For a specific event like a concert? It's acceptable. I farther than that from my office where I go every few weeks. Of course, around these parts (Texas), 80 minutes is going to meet a couple of friends for an afternoon. I got a different perspective on 'scale' and 'distance' after I moved away from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Fair enough, yeah for a specific event it's not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

And is that all the positives you perceive in Dublin? Croke Park & Landsdown road? You don't consider the restaurants, the huge range of food, the bars, cafes, galleries, museums, beaches, parks, clubs, societies, arts & music scene, ect.. as positives? Let alone the heritage, complex history, architectural splendour.

I'm just interested, did you never did anything of cultural value when you lived there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Yeah down the quays can be pretty unpleasant - if you go past the civic offices on Wood Quay most days there is a lot of open drug dealing/grim stuff going on - most people would never walk down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is very little architectural splendor in Dublin. A consequence of empire and a state that didn't have a pot to piss in for decades tbh.

Dublin has all of the amenities you mention, but of those that are unique how often does the average Dubliner visit them? People are not exactly visiting the national museums every week. Great food, restaurants pubs beaches etc can be found easily outside the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

May not have that much architectural splendor but still far more than any other town or city in the country. For all its ills it still has some really nice urban areas and buildings. Look at Galway for e.g., looks like a one horse town village with no architecture of note or nice squares or anything, just has a look of a pumped up midlands town absolutely choked with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In terms of fine civic architecture, there aren't many places in Dublin that exemplify that. Grand Canal Dock, maybe? But even that is run down with almost all of the inground architectural lighting broken.

In any case, when comparing areas to live in, you have to take a much broader view. For many people, not having to look at junkies and scrotes, and in particular not having their children growing up with them far far outweighs and perceived civic or amenity benefits that Dublin has to offer.

The only draw Dublin has, or rather had was employment. If WFH continues, the city will be abandoned by anyone with sense.

This isn't unique. The hollowing out of cities has happened many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most of Dublin 2 is quite nice, the old Georgian squares, around the canal, Baggot St, Leeson st, Ballsbridge, etc. Bizarre how myself and all my friends, cousins etc, grew up on the northside of Dublin and all have good lives now, times were tougher and rougher back in the day too. I think it's a bit rich for you to tell people the draws it does or doesn't have, given so many people are happy and have good lives in Dublin. I have 2 friends who moved back last year from Vancouver, after 5 years, to raise their 2 kids here, as they prefer the life here and now have a place in Phibsborough. This is Ireland, not Sierra Leone.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

People taking crack on every corner? I don't know what part of Dublin OP was in, but I've never seen this in the city centre and I moved to Dublin 10+ years ago. Also, what has having no family over here anything to do with Dublin being unliveable?

There are far worse European capitals out there. If you think Dublin is bad, then you won't be able to survive anywhere in continental Europe or even London for that matter. Every large capital has nice and not so nice areas. Simply don't venture out in the sketchy areas and you'll be fine.

I'm not saying Dublin is the best city in the world, but in comparison to other places, it really is pretty safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say every week? Just cause you don't doesn't mean other don't. I at least go to a restaurant, beach, park, cafe, club every week, others about once a month. Great food restaurants and beaches can be easily found outside the city, but they're not in or near the city and there's more choice of restaurants in a city.

Check this out, get back to me when you've visited all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

A lot of people might miss it but Dublin city is dripping with all sorts of beautiful occult/masonic and classical pagan inspired architecture. Places such as the Edwin Lutyens designed 'National War Memorial' is beautifully creepy and its full creepiness is laid straight out in the open. There are loads of really cool Baroque and Palladian style buildings all over the city centre with all sorts of occult and masonic symbology strewn on them. The designs of these buildings work on the basis of utilising the dynamics between light and shadow. You delve deeper into what these symbols and designs represent, you start to see them all over the town and you can spend a fantastic and totally free day walking about the place visiting them too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

I'll agree with half the people here saying the hyperbole of crack being smoked on every corner is ludicrous but I'll also have to point out, of those people calling it untrue, how many of you actually walk with your eyes not on your phone and looking around you? It takes actually looking to notice the bad things going on around you.. If you're so beat into your TikToks and your Instagrams how will you see anything bar the couple of traffic lights you're forced to look at.

It's really bad but it's also not the worst. We've yet to have daily drive-bys and random gun murders claiming childrens lives but we're not far off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Caught with baseball bats and pitchforks

arrest - convict - sentence … force the parents hand, make them… parent… they don’t want to be paying for little Kelvin or Kayleigh into their ‘20’s when they can’t get a job due to various convictions..

I’m not up on precise laws but I’m reading a lad 10 years ago was arrested and charged with possession of an article with intent to cause injury.. a baseball bat…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Was out last night. Jesus its grim once you cross over to the northside over the Ha'penny bridge. Really realy grim.

Liffey St, Lotts, Middle Abbey St, O'Connell St etc. Its a sh1thole. Needs looking at asap. The southside/northside divide has never been bigger. In that area of town anyway. North Lotts is basically a dangerous junkie street now. And if there aren't junkies theres gangs of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Never go into town any more. Have reason to have to go in the next few weeks which I'm not looking forward to. I actually hate it. It might be a good time to get to know Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jaysus that's terrifying. Not even sure who the lad with the knife was trying to stab there, could easily have gotten either of the two on the ground with those wild swings.

I can't say if its worse or not but crossing the liffey has always been an extreme sport.

Southside was absolutely buzzing last night. Georges St, Dame Lane/Court, St William St, Castle Market et al.

Capel St too but that aside the entire north quays and beyond is a complete toilet.

Yeah and I know what im getting. But hadnt been that way after working hours for a while and the place has gone downhill rapidly. Its a real dump. Half the shops are closed or boarded up, its dirty and grim.

North Lotts Street and Bachelors Walk/Way should be and could be one of the coolest places in the city.

Look at the fcuking state of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Baba Yaga

jeez...some parts of Dublin have really turned into scobieland,not all of it but enough to make you think 'what the fook is gone wrong?' ive lived in Dublin for about 40yrs and i have to say i dont like what im seeing in the last several years...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Seems I have to conduct my business in the shitholes. I have avoided town for about a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭tinytobe

They are probably the children born during the celtic tiger years, when things were good, spending was cheap and easy and nobody had a care in the world.

I think the problem is that their parents are struggling financially and their children realize they have no real future ahead of them. Housing unaffordable within their lifetime, sky high rents, nothing really to achieve.

Some turn their frustration to violence, others are stuck in poorly paid jobs but try to be law abiding.

Is Dublin really that bad these days? ( Sorry to ask, but I've been absent for a while )

• Advertisement

No. A lot of the city is thriving. Most of it actually. Places like Stonybatter, Capel St, Inchicore and Rialto have been transformed. Places southside of the city centre like Camden St are great. But for some reason that north quays and north inner city area of the city is a complete kip. Worse than ever nearly. Pics above are about 30 feet from O'Connell St.

Advertisement