Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭ redlad12

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭ bertiebomber

Dublin is a large city and attracts every type from society those who want to live there pay huge rents and that is their choice they must like it. The diversity & mutliculturism in the world defines all the major cities and you live there if you like and if you dont you run a mile. Simple as that. I like an occasional visit to Dublin for theatre or events / expos in RDS but otherwise I prefer rural ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ batman_oh

Having worked in the city centre (College Green) for the last 20 years it's hard to miss openly selling drugs if you walk around. It happens at all times of the day basically. In the evening and at night there are lots of North Face/Canada Goose wearing teenage knackers walking around dealing. And this is outside of the regular drug addicts.

It has definitely gotten a rougher edge over the lockdown but it's improving again now that things are opened up and people are getting out again. There are still places that are quite dodgy though and the central square of temple bar is basically overrun with teenagers drinking on the streets on busy evenings which is a new feature since Covid. Moore Street has loads of Roma gypsies - as does the area at the top of North Earl Street. The food banks at the GPO and on Grafton Street don't look great for visitors either, so I can see why some people could have a bad view on the place.

I'm in there all the time and I like it, but I can understand why some don't. I think a lot of the issues are more in plain sight than in some other capital cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog

The myth, as an excuse to do nothing, that Dublin is a "safe city" is getting rightly smashed the last months. Good chunks of it at the moment are patently not safe enough.

When even government TDs are saying it you know there is a serious problem.

It's all a result of concentrating every social ill and service in a really confined area that is the city center.

I repeat my prediction that it's only a matter of time before there is an horrendous incident and it will be somewhere like O'Connell St, Grafton Street or maybe Temple Bar in broad daylight - and it won't be some unfortunate foreign victim down the IFSC like that poor woman that went disturbingly under the radar when it should been on the front page of every paper.

I worry that's what it will take to wake the people in charge up. It will be the outcry and anger.

You can see what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭✭ The Nal

There have been scumbags in Dublin city for 100s of years. Its way better than it used to be. The feral scum that had the empty city to themselves during lockdown exaggerated it.

Junkies around the Spire is nothing new either. Thats what happens when you put methadone clinics in the city centre.

• Advertisement

The clinics are a total disaster but who decided that would be a good idea? Dublin City Council are partly to blame for that. Someone should have realised that concentrating all this in a confined area wouldn't end well.

The thing about the clinics is it's not the users per se, it's the fact it drags down the tone of the place and like flies on sh!t the feral gangs follow. Makes the public realm not the most comfortable.

They need to seriously rethink all of this and get at least some of those out of there.

If they want to attract people back in they'll have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭ zv2

I remember we'd saunter down to the Baggot Inn to see Brush Shiels. It was a very different city then. Now it's a cross between London and a favela.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭✭ The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭ zv2

This is painful to watch. Was he really that bad? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ vriesmays

Most of the self aid bands were awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭ riclad

Can you tell me where theres a city with no crime and no homeless people and no drug users.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms

Jesus, at 1:10 you can see Shiels laughing… an expression of.. “ god we are so fûckin shîte and we are getting paid wham! Haha “

In terms of the drug issue, what are the checks on ferry’s ? It’s been a while and I can’t recall if foot passengers are having carry on and checked bags xrayed ?

if a truck had its spare wheel / tyre hollowed out and full of drugs…there isn’t a way of checking…

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ rosmoke

Moving away from Dublin and we don't want to raise our child along thugs and drug addicts.

Lived 20 years in Bucharest and I never heard of a friend or relative getting attacked there, heck .. my relatives leave their keys in their cars and gates open.

Here my wife got attacked twice while walking on the street in broad daylight, someone broke my windscreen, stole my wheel caps, broke into neighbour's shed/house, car burned down, someone got shot and a Lidl got taken down right beside me.

It is mostly kids that cause all the issues and yes parents are at absolute fault and when you talk to other parents they all swear their kids are absolute angels ... it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭ tinytobe

Are things in Dublin really that bad at the moment? I am only guessing it's the pressures of life there, the endlessly high rents and issues finding places to live in.

Are you originally from Bucharest? Just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ rosmoke

I think it's hard to see it if you see it every day, it becomes normal.

Was in the Luas with another friend coming from city centre and you have your normal people and then your junkies talking about how they just got out of prison and drugs. Asked my friend if he doesn't feel uncomfortable and he said no .. it's just normal.

Yeap, was born there and I had higher expectations of Dublin, in terms of littering or antisocial behaviour.

Really hope moving slightly further away from Dublin would be safer, for my child at least.

To give an idea, I never ever ever heard of a break in in Bucharest (from friends/relatives/neighbours/close contacts) while here in my estate it's easier to count who didn't had a break in. I'm not saying it doesn't happen over there either but nothing like this.

The situation you're describing, regarding conversation about out junkies out of prison and drugs, I've heard from people from the East Wall and Fairview / Marino area, or people who were foreigners oblivious to these problems and recently moved there. East Wall I wouldn't even consider going to, especially not at night.

I truly think that Dublin has rough spots, even rougher than other cities in Europe, also I think that many people don't have the same perspectives as others. The high cost of renting seems the main cause of issues.

Dublin can also be an open minded welcoming place, however underlying issues are also always present.

The feeling of becoming a victim in Dublin was to me always twofold, the one side was the issues arising from becoming a victim of crime, on the other side it was the general feeling of uneasiness and constant insecurity. I also had the feeling to Dublin that if "push came to shove" nobody really cared and nobody was to rely upon.

Dubliners tend to brush that all away, from "it's normal" to "it's happening in other cities as well".

Incidentally and in mind with all that recent police wrongdoing in the UK( Sarah Everard killing), I've interestingly never had the same feelings of insecurity at all while living in London. I also didn't know or overhear any conversations of break-ins, nor did my friends, neighbours or close relations speak about it.

An interesting read. I didn't realize it was that bad and that obvious. I haven't been to Dublin in over 5 years now.

I am absent from Dublin for quite a while.

However it's hard to believe that Temple Bar, and around St. Stephen's green would be full of drug dealers exchanging "merchandise" and that being a very common sight.

Temple Bar, drinking, moderate or out of control yes, but I don't think drugs are the major factor there.

If this was about East Wall, then yes, I would believe it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ CMA_DE

You see a bit of it but you always did, this perception that the town is full of dealers on every corner is completely untrue.

There were more homeless people about for sure, I guess they moved in when others moved out in the pandemic. The large majority are harmless though, I generally feel sorry for them sitting out in the freezing cold looking for their next fix.

Like I say, the main difference for me how just how dirty it was, the whole place needs a serious scrub as it looks really run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ CMA_DE

You see a bit of it but you always did, this perception that the town is full of dealers on every corner is completely untrue. 

There were more homeless people about for sure, I guess they moved in when others moved out in the pandemic. The large majority are harmless though, I generally feel sorry for them sitting out in the freezing cold looking for their next fix. 

Like I say, the main difference for me how just how dirty it was, the whole place needs a serious scrub as it looks really run down.

• Advertisement

I think you've put your finger on the problem which is perception.

The city may not factually be as unsafe as people say but the perception is that it is. Which isn't surprising with the lack of policing, the packs of little scrotes you see everywhere, the addicts, aggressive begging, random scraps etc.

That means the damage is already done for much of the public who will do their best to avoid the city center because of the perception it's dangerous or edgy or you're just going to get agro if you go in.

That just exacerbates the downward spiral. Less people, less business, more dereliction, more empty streets, empty stores, more edginess about the place.

And it becomes a growing problem when you are trying to improve things, attract jobs and money to the city.

Let's be honest employers want to know their employees would be happy to live somewhere. Especially if some of those employees are from abroad and may have a fair bit of money themselves and reasonable standard of living expectations.

Dublin is not giving a great image at the moment.

Another thing I've notice is the amount of graffiti in the last couple of years too. Not a serious issue in itself but it just adds to the run down feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ Greyfox

In fairness that's the kind of thing you would only see in Dublin 1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Manic Moran

For a specific event like a concert? It's acceptable. I farther than that from my office where I go every few weeks. Of course, around these parts (Texas), 80 minutes is going to meet a couple of friends for an afternoon. I got a different perspective on 'scale' and 'distance' after I moved away from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭ redlad12

Fair enough, yeah for a specific event it's not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭ John_Rambo

And is that all the positives you perceive in Dublin? Croke Park & Landsdown road? You don't consider the restaurants, the huge range of food, the bars, cafes, galleries, museums, beaches, parks, clubs, societies, arts & music scene, ect.. as positives? Let alone the heritage, complex history, architectural splendour.

I'm just interested, did you never did anything of cultural value when you lived there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭ batman_oh

Yeah down the quays can be pretty unpleasant - if you go past the civic offices on Wood Quay most days there is a lot of open drug dealing/grim stuff going on - most people would never walk down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭ MrMusician18

There is very little architectural splendor in Dublin. A consequence of empire and a state that didn't have a pot to piss in for decades tbh.

Dublin has all of the amenities you mention, but of those that are unique how often does the average Dubliner visit them? People are not exactly visiting the national museums every week. Great food, restaurants pubs beaches etc can be found easily outside the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭ Thelonious Monk

May not have that much architectural splendor but still far more than any other town or city in the country. For all its ills it still has some really nice urban areas and buildings. Look at Galway for e.g., looks like a one horse town village with no architecture of note or nice squares or anything, just has a look of a pumped up midlands town absolutely choked with traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭ MrMusician18

In terms of fine civic architecture, there aren't many places in Dublin that exemplify that. Grand Canal Dock, maybe? But even that is run down with almost all of the inground architectural lighting broken.

In any case, when comparing areas to live in, you have to take a much broader view. For many people, not having to look at junkies and scrotes, and in particular not having their children growing up with them far far outweighs and perceived civic or amenity benefits that Dublin has to offer.

The only draw Dublin has, or rather had was employment. If WFH continues, the city will be abandoned by anyone with sense.

This isn't unique. The hollowing out of cities has happened many times before.

Advertisement