Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I remember Cabra and Phibsborough to be bad places, and it started to get worse North of Parnell street, but that might have changed.

Marino and Fairview were also always a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most homeless people live in the city centre thats where the services are located ,its very rare i see a fight or an argument on the street . I,ve never seen anyone taking heroin, there has always been rough area,s in dublin.Many area,s of dublin are quieter and better than ever, we have the luas, we have new offices being built.theres street cleaners working every day all over dublin. i see no problem with people selling decorations, at xmas for 2 weeks. Every city has junkies and some level of crime ,but i think dublin is generally a good place to live.you need common sense ,if theres 2 or 3 young people hanging round a lane do not go there, turn around,walk the other way homeless people beg ,they are not all junkies.

i see young people walking around with a phone in their back pocket so obviously they feel safe.

the city centre is fairly quiet after 10pm, apart from people going to pubs, clubs or temple bar area.

just google crime new york city or los angeles ,its much worse than dublin

Unbelivable, Joe. Unbelivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In los Angeles there's posh million dollar homes. 5 minutes down the street there's

an area with 100s of people living in tents at least in Dublin there's a system where

people can live in hostels rather than on the streets I cycle around Dublin every day. It's very rare to see people using drugs if there's people dealing openly I never noticed it there's a wide range areas in Dublin working class middle class

and areas like ballsbridge where a house can be 700k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Always the comparisons with the worst places.

It's very easy to see people dealing drugs in the city centre. Wasn't back one day and I saw a bunch of deals from kids on escooters. It's rough enough.

You are right Dublin has always had a lot of rough areas. I havent seen much if any improvement over the last two decades, yet Ireland and Dublin should be much richer

The DART is decrepit. I guess Dublin bus is the main area of improvement. The LUAS badly mismanaged and iften unsafe, many riders don't even buy tickets since nobody was checking.

The commuters trains old diesels and noisy too. The train stations grotty and badly laid out and connected.

I noticed a lot of provincial towns were much improved over the last decade, my gut feeling is Dublin is vastly underfunded for it's hugely increased population and also versus its economic output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

the guards need to bring back a bit of of the “Lugs Brannigan” style of policing for the junkies and never do wells types

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

D1 is grim but "Its a hellhole everywhere bar the leafy southside areas" is not true.

Malahide, Castleknock, Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Phibsborough, Beaumont, Clontarf, Portmarknock, Howth.

then to cheaper more working class spots but central and decent these days, Cabra east, Finglas east, Santry, Marino, Ashtown.

All spots i'd take any day of the week over rural areas, theres a reason people sacrifice so much to be in cities. Understand the rural appeal also but its not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Glass half full or empty? My yardstick is the Dublin I grew up in the 80s when I moved from the suburbs to north inner city. Dublin then was like bombed out East Berlin DDR style. There are still huge pockets of dereliction but at least the trajectory is going in the right direction. The Docklands is the most notable example but there are many pockets of improvement. The leaders of the pack (sticking within the canals) are: Islandbridge, Chapelizard, Stoneybatter/Grangegorman campus, Ringsend, Kilmainham, Portobello, Smithfield, the Guinness area off Thomas St and parts of the Liberties like Francis/Meath St. Still stuck in 80s mode are: the Coombe, Pimlico, Mountjoy to the Five Lamps and beyond to East Wall and Maryland/ Donore to Dolphins Barn.

Irish Rail and the Dart operators are still stuck in 80s mode. There's no shortage of money so why are those antiques still rattling around? Connolly Stn is junkie central. Same can be said for DCC relative to their more effective peers in Rathdown and Fingal CC. Remarkable how DCC and IR rail management are invisible and totally unaccountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I know for a fact the Garda are told not to arrest the homeless & beggars & drug users around O Connell street unless they something terrible,

There seen as pointless arrest & it takes the Garda off the streets ,

Garda on the ground hate this & want to get them off the streets but can't go against orders ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

What do you do with them? Forced rehabilitation? Keep them in holding cells?

Theyre as close to a pointless arrest as you could think. Junkies aren't the issue, they're relatively harmless but obviously an issue/eyesore.

We need areas for specific types of people. City centre should be for tourist, workers and law abiding citizens.

Satellite drug towns with legalisation is what we need for adults who want to use. Same with social housing.

Satellite towns where anyone not part of good society can be housed. They can all run riot. Ring roads is all you'd need to police then.

Anyone trying to get into norm Town needs a day pass or they need to sneak in via bogland and fields.

• Advertisement

Junkies need to be housed in the same area with people on social housing ?

why should people living in social housing have to deal with junkies ?

You start with should they be forced into rehabilitation or holding cells & end with they should be forced to live in a certain area, which is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

As many have said, D1 is generally very run down and it is worsened by the junkies and over concentration of poor social housing.

but with new hotels going up in D1 and the Clerys & old Debenhams buildings reopening soon, there will be a boost for the area.

Making Smithfield market a fulltime market is also being worked on, but why it takes so long to get it up and running when it housed markets over paddys weekend is a mystery.

D1 aside though, most of south east dublin in particular is lovely.

Thats where id reccomend tourists go.

lovely houses, bars, restaurants, cafes, theatres, sports grounds, sea, harbour, parks and beaches with the mountains on your doorstep.

And not a junkie or scoobie in sight.

Best part of the country bar none.

D1 is like a different city. literally.

No as my OP said, different sites for different types. They'd be separate satellite cities.

We don't all live together in harmony. Having addicts in the city centre for clinics and dealers is doomed for failure. Not legalising drugs is doomed for failure.

Having social housing complexes/flats in City centre is doomed for failure. I don't expect any of this to ever happen by the way. Merely expressing my view of how I think the country should be setup.

If I was the king of Ireland that's the model I'd be looking to follow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loads of junkies in Dun Laoghaire. Always has been.

I really don't know what the city council are doing on the northside. Almost all of the good places are due to private investment. Pubs, restaurants etc.

Look at the cut of this for example. The old burned out SF HQ. How long has it been like this for? 5 years?

There are some in DL yes, but down by the Seafront or sunday market etc i never see any.

Head round the corner to Sandycove beach and Glasthule village and its stunning on a nice day like yesterday or today. Outdoor cafes and great family buzz.

Lots of other lovely villages in South East Dublin where its very rare you see any undesirables and all the villages have a great vibe to them.

Great variety of shops, bars restaurants and general amenities.

But DCC in D1 are just awful as you say.

I dont know how they keep their job to be honest. They never seem to improve anything in D1.

But we just avoid D1, spend our time and money in the nice parts of the city on the southside and there are a lot of people doing the same.

Dublin is a big place and D1 is a world apart fron D6, D4 etc. couldnt be more different.

But DCC should be doing more for D1.

care to elaborate more. who's calling the shots ...politicos or senior mangement?

Visited the refurbished Dun Laoighaire baths today. Very nice. Went on to the Forty Foot ...first time in my life to see it. Again nice. Especially the foot paths and cycle lanes and access to swimming spots. All down to Rathdown CC I presume. DCC still have Bull Wall and Clontarf in a mess by comparison. Red Rocks in Howth is fine.

Yeah, DLR seem to take more pride in public facilities and their look and style vs DCC.

Shame DCC cant have a bit of imagination.

Glad you enjoyed the day out!

To hell or Connaught! A bit harsh. Put all the methadone centres in the Bog of Allen along with portacabins and the wind turbines? I'd be happy to move them all to Montrose as a starter. They can hassle all the chatteratti as they preen themselves in the green room.

The comment Dublin is a big place made me laugh. The area between the canals isn't big and they still can't fix it up.

Sure the council haven't been able to get neither the smithfield market nor the liberties market up and running in a city desperately in need of something different than chain stores or pubs.

i know they are 'working on it'.....for decades.

The only big improvement I noticed on the northside, is the grangegorman/cabra area. Although inmho large parts of Cabra aswell as East wall, should be knocked down and redeveloped, the huge number of ridiculously small ex council houses (and frankly ugly, with not many retail outlets) in a central area are not fit for purpose.

DCC aren't even cleaning the streets properly in large sections of North inner city and out to the Northside. The place looks dilapidated. Places like Dorset st. are absolutely filthy partly cos.they still use bin bags there!

It also doesn't seem to help that a lot of redevelopmentsin places like Phibsboro have been held up by objectors.

My last commentis I think they almost destroyed Smtihfield by over developing it and local businesses such as traditional pubs are almost gone . You don't get any feeling that it used to be a famous horse market, nothing..its a bit sad. It wasn't great in the past I know but the square itself seems to have shrunk tremendously as a public space. Grangegorman was done right though.

Yes the south coastal area sich as Monkstown was always the 'tony area ' of Dublin, but how about upgrading the rest of it. They are concentrating their emegency and homeless housing and drug treatment centres in the North inner city, they shouldn't use it as a dumping ground for the city's and country's social problems.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Advertisement

Bull Wall "bathing area' looks like a structure left over from WWII.

Senior mangement , hard to know if its off there own back

True. Apparently there's a preservation order on those 1930s concrete stands. Bit like the ban on knocking Liberty Hall. OK so but try painting them at least. But looking at the new Dun Laoighraire baths today they are purely functional/utilitarian. No efforts were made to spruce up what is a large mass of grey concrete/stone. Coloured tiling, patterned stoning, better railings, some sculpture artwork bas relief style maybe? If u ever visited Cascais in Lisbon u would know the effect. Easily done at no great extra costs. Just put a computer generated image up before tender and ask Joe Public for final ideas. No ?

No I'm taking more like a city for drug users. Legalised heroin, no methadone. Supplied by the State, along with proper living facilities etc.

Same for social housing estates for the worst offenders that don't deserve to be housed along side civilised people.

I think it's more humane then sterilisation. This bollix of a rising tide lifts all boats is pure fantasy. Ask anyone living in council areas, it's only a percentage causing the anarchy.

One strike rule and you're shipped to the outer limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm at a loss how people are repeatedly getting hassle in dcc.

Are they starting on people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

I’m working over and back from Edinburgh recently and I have to say the difference is huge . Cleanliness , public transport , beautiful buildings , public areas all just a much nicer and better running city . Not to mention a much more visible police presence .

Obviously has its own issues and you do see a few beggars around but just a much better vibe and buzz about the place .

I don’t know why people are getting upset in here though , we are all happier living where wer from . Of course Dubs have good lives if they are surrounded by friends and family and are grand , but I do agree with the people who say that there really isn’t much in Dublin for people that aren’t from there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Can confirm this part has always been a kip. I worked there and would take deliveries in, once you try open the door you were waking someone up to get access to it.

This particular part of Dublin could really do with some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

I have lived 36 very liveable, prosperous and content years in Dublin and its surrounding areas, very much still alive and kicking, so this files in the face and completely makes a mockery out of the hysterical thread title and all it's upper case letters.

Edinburgh is nice but certainly has its problems.

Its smaller than Dublin and has less variety in terms of entertainment options, restaurants, comedy, theatre etc.

But it is a good city.

Wetter and colder (yes it is possible :) than Dublin and no beaches/sea, only an estuary.

Dublin has a great geography in that it is coastal, has some nice beaches and harbours, forests and the Dublin/Wcklow mountains.

There arent many cities in Europe with over 1.5 million people that offer that variety. Dublin is a lot more than the city centre.

Thats just one part of the jigsaw.

Dublin has a lot to offer if people broaden their range outside of the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They're pre WWII. They're classic art deco iconic & significant structures within the context of the architectural heritage of the 20th century designed by Herbert Simms. They've been utilised, used by, photographed, printed, painted and admired by many for over ninety decades.

You should nip over and have a look at them, they're very cool.

Advertisement