Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Amazon.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭ TheChizler

Just checked there and I was somehow signed up to the free month again even though I'm sure I pressed no last time I made a purchase. They're sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ EarWig

It's funny I was just tracking a package and saw on the map I was 'Next Stop'.

Driver couldn't find my place because my Eircode is not correctly placed on Amazon's map. It's perfect on https://finder.eircode.ie/#/

Also, looking at Amazon's map near me. It's missing roads and showing incomplete roads too. Bizarre stuff.

Poor driver and now poor me. Just wasted 20 minutes sitting here waiting for a ring at the door.

Guessing they'll try again tomorrow but, of course, I'm not at home then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ Yggr of Asgard

Use HERE WeGo to find your address and format it accordingly, that is the map provider Amazon uses.

Once I change my address to match what it gave me, I suddenly had Amazon Prime delivery via Amazon, if I use my Eircode address, I get AnPost.

Also "next stop" does not mean next stop, sometimes it changes, and the driver will be with you after a while. I had that multiple times, I wait until I see them really coming up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭ Caranica

There's a bug in the live tracking of Amazon drivers, it was fixed but I noticed it back again today. Basically the deliveries are done in order of delivery number, not geographically. So I could be order 76 and my neighbour 28. So the driver delivers next door then goes away then comes back to me a couple of hours later. Problem is the GPS picks up that it's near me and I get a notification that I'm next delivery when they're next door. But I'm not.

Last autumn it was gaps of 3-6 hours, today it was 2 hours. I spent ages talking to customer care and the drivers about it last year and it did get fixed but as today showed, it's back!

I'm surprised that given Amazon's drive for time saving they can't sort deliveries geographically meaning drivers don't go back to the same estate several times in one shift. Oh and if the driver used his cop on and delivered to me after next door, his app would tell him his next delivery was #77. Bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ NewbridgeIR

I buy books from Amazon UK every couple of weeks - no issues - although I have Prime so deliveries aren't made by An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ rf4c

Just wanted to add my bit! I'm also an avid book buyer and use Amazon website to find the books second hand. Mostly they're as good as new at ridiculous prices, but I never buy Amazons offerings. I always go to the "Buying options" on the right side of the page.

My go to sellers are "Better World Books" (they give a potion of sales to charity) and World of Books.

Both are very fast and I've never had a book delayed or stopped for fees. Maybe it's to do with their attention to detail with the paperwork or something else. I don't know by hope some of this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭ blade1

An post deliver prime as well.

Amazon pay the Irish vat on stuff that it applies to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ rf4c

That's a good point about Prime.

I'm not trying to make Mr. Bezos richer, but Prime can be useful too.

We got Prime (the missus and me) for 7.99 a month.

Unless your importing nuclear missiles, everything seems to sail through on Prime. and much faster.

As well, you get the video, music and a few special offers. We don't use much of that, but we signed up

for our weekly takeout on Deliveroo Plus, and over 25 euros we get free delivery for being Prime!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭ deezell

The gas thing is I'm not on prime, and delivery was listed at £4.87, a lot less than .DE at about €12, but at checkout I noticed there was a standard delivery option which was free, so what the hell, I wasn't in a hurry. I ticked it and still got goods in 4 days.

• Items: £33.29
    • Postage & Packing: £4.87
    • Total before VAT: £38.16
    • VAT: £8.78
    • Total: £46.94
    • Promotion Applied: -£4.87
    • Order Total: £40.95

That is routine.

The estimated delivery dates are far out to encourage people to buy faster delivery. But, at least for me who always chooses the slower free delivery, it comes much much faster than expected. That often causes problems for me!

• Advertisement

While I'm here.

Most of my deliveries now are made by Amazon's drivers. I get a message the day before saying delivery will be made before 9pm the next day.

I am rarely at home for a full day. It would be really nice to able to be pick this up myself from somewhere. Any indications of that being introduced in Ireland.

They should buy parcel motel. Can't use it for uk only suppliers since Brexit. Once whlle at my local Maxol, the Nightline guy was filling the lockers, I'd say half them were Amazon. You can still get a delivery to Irish parcel motel address, but no guarantee that packets from other than Anpost pets Amazon et al. won't be returned.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

Amazon provide free delivery on orders over £25 for non prime buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭ Polar101

Yeah, would be great to have a pickup point option. Or even something like "Amazon Day" where you know what day they are going to deliver. Now it's always "to be delivered on Monday by 9pm" and then they usually deliver on Saturday or Sunday instead (and always at random times, so if you're not home for the whole day, you'll miss a deliery).

Or if they could have a delivery slot that gives a general idea on when the delivery will actually happen - the likes of DPD can manage that, so why not Amazon Logistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭ Cookiee

If you live anywhere near the north, amazon have collect points/lockers in the UK, just select one in newry or wherever and collect from there if you don't live too far! It's handy I get stuff delivered there and pick it up that Amazon won't deliver to the republic

Yeah.

I have four things which I'd like to buy but can't until my next work break when I can be at home.

Making your customers dance around your needs is real monopoly power in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ davetherave

There is a pick your day option if you have an England/Wales/Scotland, not NI, address picked. It doesn't seem to offer it if it is going to an Amazon Locker either. Just picking Murrayfield Stadium as an example. Something will get there tomorrow with the one-day Prime, otherwise I can pick my two preferred days, and if I pick Wednesday and Friday then it will arrive on Wednesday.

With any luck we will get the same when Baldonell opens up. It is all well and good that I can order something at 8pm this evening and it can be picked, packed, dispatched from say the Edinburgh Fulfillment Centre, sent across the sea, sorted in Greenogue, fired into the back of a van and delivered to me on Sunday but if I know I won't be there on Sunday then that defeats the purpose. It would be handy not having to wait to order something based on when I know I'll be at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ xboxdad

Any word on when the Irish Fulfilment Centre is to open (Baldonell) please?

Depending on your job, you could use their address and have stuff delivered there. My son had 4 car tyres delivered to his place of work, a University, which got some funny looks from the reception desk! Pre covid, I routinely had stuff for myself and my job delivered to the job address, city centre, and it was definitely faster too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭ NATLOR

Bought a phone last September. Was £509 ex UK VAT. An extra £ 117 with Irish VAT which was added at the basket under import fees as expected. Just got a message from Amazon saying I'm getting a refund of £117. No idea why but not complaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,280 ✭✭✭✭ Discodog

I returned an item & my Amazon account got refunded. I am now being told that I can't use my balance on Amazon Spain. The CS keep insisting that it's a gift card balance. Has anyone experienced similar ?

If you used a gift card to purchase the item then they are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ Yggr of Asgard

If you did not use an Amazon Gift Card or balance to pay something, then the refund should have gone to the payment method that you use to pay for the order in the first place (like your credit or debit card).

Balances / Gift cards can only be used on the country side you have them the, i.e. co.uk or .com etc but not across regions.

The question here is why you did get a refund to your balance and not back to your card!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭ Caranica

They usually give you the option as to whether you want it on a gift card (instant) or returned to the original payment method (takes a few days)

Did you have a credit balance prior to paying? If so, why was that not refunded to your card, or do you not keep card details saved. I had Irish VAT refunded last year, it went back to my card, not to a 'balance' which I've never heard of before, except with ebay.

The only balance you can hold on Amazon is with gift cards. As mentioned above any refunds are returned to the method used to purchase

I think Amazon need to make it clearer that, if you accept the refund as a credit to your account, it can only be used on the UK site. I will insist on a card credit from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭ amacca

When is this Amazon fulfilment centre opening in Ireland, or is that shelved now (no bad pun intended)

Advertisement