Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 - (*** Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I bet Adira makes "studying Grey's anatomy" jokes a couple of times a week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK, so I caught up. Yes, Book is very good in the last couple of episodes. Very fine actor. Some of the cast got more to do this episode. Tilly was quite enjoyable (And relatable) in episode 3 with some actually funny bits.

I really like the Adira character. Played very well. But I don't like their boyfriend. Stamets had some good scenes in episode three but as usual, Burnham got stuck in and saved the day

Oh, you are trying to save this species? Have abandoned your pledge and killed members of your order? Oh well HERE'S your problem. Now, civilisation saved. Where would you be without me

So yes, an improvement but when the main story comes towards endgame then it'll default back to her and her doe-eyed minions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fellow "UK" people. Is the show sticking to the 9pm Friday (Xmas Eve) Saturday (Xmas Day) and Sunday (Boxing Saint Stephen Day) schedule on Pluto?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched the 6 episodes over the past couple nights.

So Tilly gets a job at the academy despite losing 20% of her students on her first day?

Not a fan of Grey and was hoping when he got his body, he would be going off to continue his studies, but looks like he's now sticking around and will be an "essential" crewmember.

I'm no expert on character development but I'm pretty sure the way to do it isn't to have someone in the background for 95% of the time, come forward briefly, have them tell a story about their childhood then shove them back in the background where they will continue just to look at each other every time Michael says something. Though I might remember Rhys' name, maybe til the end of the season now.

Why not make more ships like Book's since that seems to be the solution to everything? Though apparently he's the only one able to fly it.

Don't be complaining about Tilly's new job. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

I guess credit is due to their marketing for being honest about the focus of Discovery in that image. As I mentioned after seeing the Season 4 preview I am at least thankful for them for not trying to hoodwink me into thinking that they would try to improve their writing or move away from thickly laid Michael-centric melodrama. It was clear that this would not move away from a format or style that would just frustrate me further rather than entertain anymore.

We're now mid-season and I have essentially been experiencing the show via these pages here on Boards. The Star Trek gang here seems to have a wide spectrum of tastes, which is refreshing way to experience the show and very much appreciated. I far prefer to read about the episodes here on the various threads than to actually watch them and be frustrated by the results.

Mid-season, the conclusion I have reached so far is that my decision to not bother watching yet is still correct. I get the impression of a show that still has good ideas, but succeeds in ruining many of them though poor execution and a healthy dollop of Burnham. It was always that ruined potential that drove me up the wall, and it appears that Season 4 would do the same to me. In all honesty the only draw I have to watching is so that I can join the episode-thread discussions here on Boards. However it seems wrong for me to join in on those without actually watching the episodes. Thus I'm posting here in the overall season thread.

Ultimately it's the season as a whole that might decide if I watch anything of this.

Post edited by Rawr on

Was actually coming to post the same comment about this image. I REALLY don't know why they just don't call it Star Trek Bernham and be done with it.

As you said, at least last time they didn't even attempt to make this look like it was going to be anything different. But the Part 2 trailer is all about the clickbait again. All dramatic and cool looking. So, you know, taken from the last two episodes. Everything else: "Hope... and the absence of Hope (Hope ALWAYS is capital "H"). Love and duty.

To bring you up to speed. Yes, it is still almost 90% Burnham, to the detriment of more interesting characters/storylines. The last couple of episodes have had an interesting plotline about the computer evolving. For ONCE!!!!!! it didn't involve Burnham suddenly becoming an expert in AI emotions but it was ALL about emotion. It was actually the only interesting thing to happen this season so far.

Thank you Grover for the summary :)

Yea, I was really getting that impression from my reading. Essentially a decent Trek show repeatedly being eclipsed by its lead character while very little is actually getting done. I was afraid that skipping Season 4 might rob me of interesting information, but I get the impression that a 2 minute read would get me up to speed much better than trying to do a marathon watch of the season (which I can't see myself doing, even if the end turns out to be somehow good).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So, judging by some of these latest comments Season 4 is a pass? Have yet to dip my toe in it and there seems to be very little enticing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Watched the first 3 or 4 by stretching my WiFi signal into Northern Ireland on the Friday nights (😏) but the two episodes that aired over the Christmas and New Year weekends I missed and haven't been bothered to look them up or catch-up on what happened in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well it's better than Season 3 for sure though it's still nowhere near as good as 90s era Trek or Lower Decks/Prodigy. A lot will rest with the second half of the season imo. Judging from the trailer, the first half has been largely setup for a high octane second half, it remains to be seen whether they **** that up or not.

Which for myself is the deciding factor of whether or not I'll even watch the season. If I end up reading the finale threads and notice most of the gang voicing frustration...then this season is pretty much a miss for myself.

I guess it's down to each individual viewer's taste on wishing to watch a season or not, but in my case frustrating mis-handling of the material just isn't worth the time anymore. The chance of enjoyment is just so low. I really hope Picard doesn't fall into this category too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The starship itself becoming a blubbering emotional mess was the "nope, I'm out" moment for me...

It's.... Yeah, it's not good. Hard to recommend. Yes, better than Season 3 but that's hardly a glowing endorsement. Some interesting ideas but, as usual, solved with emotion by Burnham and Burnham ALONE. Will continue to watch as I haven't quit on a Trek series yet. But not expecting any improvement (Despite the clickbait whizzbang trailer for part 2. We have all been fooled by them before)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yes, it'll never be accused of "boldly going". I'm hoping that the new season of Picard will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Finally started watching this. I was really enjoying episode 1 until I realised we were looking at a galaxy wide issue again. Burnham’s announcement at the beginning of episode 2: “today we seek to understand a threat like none our galaxy has faced before”, not strictly true, every season has a galaxy destroying issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah but not like this one. The previous ones were different galaxy destroying issues. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭corkie

No thread yet for Discovery S4E08 'All in'?

Spoilers : - https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-trek-discovery-season-4-episode-8-review-all-in/

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

• Advertisement

To the point where Burnham has now been installed as the head of some sort of Senate that has power to scrutinize the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

But it's also true.

New episode sees the return of an old alien. It's been ripped apart online as the Disco team have needlessly changed the look.

I didn't doubt it was true, it's Discovery after all. Who did they mess up this time?

Changelings are sand now not goo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hahahaha oh god. This show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Doesn't seem to be going down too well with audiences!!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery/s04

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given Rotten Tomatoes counts shoulder shrugs as "fresh", I was sceptical critics were that favourable to the point of the surprisingly high 92% (JFC I hate the percentages points trying to imply scientific accuracy).

Indeed I had a look at the 13 reviews and many read as preair reviews, with a bunch only of the first episode complimenting the action and spectacle; while others are indeed, just "meh" at best. 92% me arse; nobody's fond of this.

• Advertisement

Rotten Tomatoes' percentage is based on how many critics don't hate the thing. 92% just means 12 out of the 13 didn't hate it which is still too high

Advertisement