Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 - (*** Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm not claiming that Trek was influenced by soaps. That post directly related to what it was replying to and I was making the point that "bad writing" usually has no influence on a shows popularity or success. Only in that sense was I making comparisons

On the CW and Arrowverse I don't know a lot about them because I couldn't manage more than a few minutes of any of those awful shows but people tell me that writing style is very similar to Discovery and not in a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well I followed Supergirl for a couple of seasons, but gave up and just stopped watching, without accusing the show writers of destroying the DC brand. Imagine that. Another CW show that started well but fizzled into madness was iZombie. Cute idea of a hidden zombie eating brains of murdered people and figuring out whodunnit while suppressing traits of the deceased. Lost the plot once the zombie secret got out and those trait hints turned into out and out charactures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Discovery no longer on Netflix as of tonight - Season 4 no longer on the watch list so that a real dumb move as we have to wait for Paramount + next year to watch ...

Star Trek Discovery Leaves Netflix; Set To Debut Globally On Paramount+ In 2022 – Deadline

Oh no, what will I do. Am totally heartbroken

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You'll bootleg and still give out about it of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I could understand CBS pulling Discovery from Netflix to coincide with an imminent release of Paramount+ but to do it with a vague "2022" date is just bonkers. It needlessly antagonises fans waiting for the new season and now taints the Paramount+ internationally with a bad reception.

After a few episodes I genuinely forgot it existed until my Netflix kept sticking it front page. Without Netflix I will probably forget it has aired

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Not me. I'll just wait until it drops to a service/channel I already have access to. While I was curious to see if the new season improved, I'm not paying extra money for it or searching for some other method. It's quite an unbelievable move by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Considering I gave up halfway through season 3, I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder then are Picard and Lower Decks on Prime also due to disappear soon. Regardless of whether Discovery is rubbish, this removal from Netflix sucks; it's lessening the possible audience for Trek, reducing the chance of exposure to new fans and viewers. But such is life now, with streaming services now a giant smorgasbord of competing companies.

As for Discovery Season 4? I wasn't going to watch it, no: but I was going to keep an ear to the ground anyway; and if trusted sources started making more positive noises, I'd have considered giving the show One More Try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Rawr

I was in a somewhat similar boat. As I've written before, I'm pretty much finished with Discovery, and I was thankful that the preview trailer for Season 4 pretty much confirmed that they were not going to change direction or improve the show. That way I didn't have to waste my time.

Similarly, I was going to jump in here now and again to see if any positive noises were being made about Season 4 in the miraculous off-chance that they managed to actually make good Trek. But yea...dropping it from Netflix pretty much guarantees my absence from viewing this.

I was afraid that this day would come, and in preparation I have been getting my fill of older Trek on Netflix while I still can. I'm not certain I can be bothered to get Paramount+ for Trek alone...especially with so much of their energies being focused on Discovery. The only thing that could potentially attract my attention is Lower Decks but that alone won't get me to pay a subscription for the rest of it. I feel they are making a dangerous and potentially money-losing gamble by not sticking with established streaming partners internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I'm sure we'll all wait and sign up/pay for ANOTHER new platform 😉.

The timing is a REAL d1ck move.

I was planning on watching this (And still am). But just out of habit really. As I mentioned before, my interest has faded DRAMATICALLY after a very poor previous season and the doubling-down on the Burnham character. Last season gave them a real opportunity to treat this is a soft-reboot but they never took it. Anyway.

But this is concerning. As mentioned above: Will we lose the excellent Lower Decks and the OK (But interesting-looking season 2) of Picard from Amazon Prime? (Probably) and Brave New Worlds will go direct to this new platform (Again, probably).

I believe this is a mistake. Sure, Paramount have a large presence in the US but not sure how it will do outside. I am already paying for Netflix, Prime and Disney. I find Disney good value and Prime/Netflix middling.

More and more people are questioning the value of all these services. I would imagine that many people subscribe to prime not only for the shows but also for the free/expedited shipping. However since Brexit and Parcel Motel basically became useless, is it really worth it? Netflix output is getting more mediocre by the day.

I mean, simply speaking personally, I enjoyed Netflix. I enjoyed the fact that I had access to a large library of shows and movies. That we would get shows broadcast in the US immediately afterwards. Meant that one wouldn't have to torrent. That everything was above board and everyone was getting paid. Then we got Prime and many shows jumped ship. And now a third is coming. As soon as licensing agreements run out with Sky, I'm sure HBO will also come to Europe. Meaning that, if you want to do everything above board, you would be chucking out 50-70 euros a month for the online streaming platforms. On top of any traditional services that you may be paying for (Virgin Media, Sky etc). And of course your TV license.

Sorry Paramount. I know you'll really miss my tenner a month 😀 but I won't be subscribing. I'll pursue other avenues

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even if Discovery was the greatest Trek show ever released, there's still no way I'd pay for yet another streaming service, on the basis of a dribble of shows. The market has become horribly fragmented, and you'd impoverish yourself if you subscribed to every service. At least Netflix sheer volume of content can keep on happy, Prime the next best (ish)

Wait till the whole season is out and then get a free months trial 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

In our house we had decided to give Discovery one more chance.

The deal is that one tear in Burnhams eyes and its off forever.

We actually have bets on which episode will show her crying first. The highest bet is episode 3.

Looks like we wont have to bother watching it now though.

I find myself with subscriptions for Netflix, Prime (not just for Trek), and Disney+ (originally for the kids...but surprisingly good value for everyone). I can't find myself wanting a 4th service on top of all of that to watch the one Trek show I know that I like while also paying for another Trek show that I feel at this stage is a massive waste of cash (and viewing time).

I'm also wondering about the very sudden and almost dramatic nature of Discovery being pulled. Part of me wonders if they had chanced their arm a little too far with Netflix, and then tried to bluff them with a threat to pull Discovery away:

CBS: Agree to this thing, or we'll pull Discovery from your service.

Netflix: Nope.

CBS: Are you sure? Well do it, we'll take Discovery away.

Netflix: Then do it.

CBS: Eh...heh. We mean it...we'll do it unless you pay an extra 10 million

Netflix: (Click) There, it's gone now.

CBS: Wait what?

Netflix: Get out and never trick us into financing your bulls**t reboots again.

CBS: :O

I also feel that this will do a number on any merchandising potential they had left. I can imagine that several product partners will be extremely pissed that international access to the newest Trek show was pulled right before Christmas. Right when hype for the show would be at it's highest. I can't imagine many giving much of a damn watching in 2022, many months after every episode has been reviewed and spoiled by US-based viewers.

I literally just googled "What's on Paramount Plus" to see if there was some absolute "must-have" on it. Their biggest thing seems to be that they (CBS) own Nickelodeon. Half of their focus seems to be on minor reality shows, Nickelodeon shows and the odd high-profile thing like "The good wife". Not exactly Must-Watch-TV. I mean, simply looking at the list below.

Trek has a LOT of focus there and "classic" shows and Nick. If it was a TV station or two, I'd watch it. But pay extra for it? I don't think so. To counter Fry from Futurama. I'm NOT a fan of World's Blankiest Blank. Not a fan of "reality" TV (Apart from The Bake off and The Repair Shop of course :) )

It's tea leaves stuff really, nobody's speculation is too crazy. But certainly, I'd be bold enough to say Paramount needed Discovery more than Netflix did. The streaming service has about a bazillion shows each month and given three seasons seems to be the magic number when it comes to lifespans, maybe Netflix simply figured same with this. Declining value from here on in, so no loss if it's dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I just had a look at what's available on Paramount + as it is, and it doesn't seem like there's much worth signing up for (at least to me). Netflix is pretty good (though I do spend a lot of time rewatching old Trek shows so we'll see what happens there...), I rarely use Amazon Prime but there's some decent stuff there, even if the interface is god awful, and Disney + is really good value for money with Star on it. But signing up to a fourth service for a meh show? Wouldn't be bothered. Where it's really going to hit them are with people like my mam, who watched Discovery because it was there on Netflix despite not being a huge fan. She's not going to be subscribing to a streaming service for it, I'm not going to have a subscription for her to use, and it's not like it's a show with a thrilling plot or characters to catch up on..

I'll be watching it tomorrow, because I'm a glutton for punishment, but this stunt has really put me off trying out Paramount +. They would really need to have an incredibly attractive package of shows, at an incredibly good price, for me to bother. Disney+ sucked me in that way even before they had Star because it was something like 60 quid for the first year, and that really paid off since we went into lockdown almost immediately.

Good thing I never relied on the streaming services to continue to host my favourite shows and maintained a backup...not that I'll be revisiting previous seasons of Discovery that often!

• Advertisement

For the chronically lazy, what international reach is Paramount+ even going to have? I have no interest in VPNs or any of those avenues, just curious who'll have it available without fuss.

Disney+ is the only other service I'd even vaguely think about - but its new content seems incredibly narrow with Marvel/Star Wars material - and what isn't seems too kid friendly - while out of principle, I'm against giving them more money than is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How will Paramount+ work here? Don't you need a sky sub to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Looks like the death knell for Discovery to me. Paramount+ seems to have next to no content and a limited international reach. Add the lower potential audience to the dodgy viewer metrics they've been receiving from Netflix and the hype their own marketing team have spewed forth on social media platforms probably and production will likely have a bunch of actors looking for raises in the belief they're part of a far more successful show than they actually are...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Even if you get it now we still have till February to see the show. It's region locked outside the US.

Really stupid move piracy wise as loads of potential subscribers will have seen the whole season by February

And therein lies the critical error on their part.

If you care enough about Discovery to want to watch the 4th Season, and you live beyond North America...chances are you are going to sail the high seas to get a look. The season will be long over by the time Paramount+ is available in most territories, and by then the show for what it was worth has now been seen by many (if not most) of the audience who might have put cash down for a subscription.

I have a hard time believing that this was planned. It's just too stupid a move, even for them. I really feel like ViacomCBS somehow managed to f**k-up their deal with Netflix so badly that they were forced into this sudden move, long before they were ready to roll their service out to other territories.

That...or Netflix were feeling especially vindictive and pulled the plug ahead of time to leave Paramount+ a massive piracy headache ahead of their international launch.

I bet there will be loads of fan theories from angry Doomcock types who will spin this as Netflix dropping a soon to be cancelled Discovery

There has been at least one YouTube channel shared around this forum, on & off, who has been consistently predicting Discovery's cancellation since season 1. As you say, those inclined towards Confirmation Bias will decide this is proof positive nobody Discovery is a failure - going double if there's some allergy towards all things that rhyme with "bloke"

I hate that word

• Advertisement

I feel that this move, if anything, makes it less likely that Discovery is cancelled and more likely that they'll run it as long as possible. The show started as a flagship for Paramount+'s predecessor and on the cusp of hopefully getting a whole load of international subscribers on the back of Discovery being a platform exclusive, they really can't cancel now. That could create the image of Paramount+ being a repository of finished / cancelled shows from day one.

So I feel they'll keep it going, even of they have to do it on a shoe-string budget where the whole show is nothing more than Michael and the ball from Cast Away arguing in an escape pod for 10 episodes.

Advertisement