Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's really going on with the recent Joe Rogan controversy?

• 09-02-2022 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

As soon as I heard the recent "racist" claim (smear) being used against Joe Rogan I smelled a rat. It's a classic move. But I did wonder who was behind the smear and what they had to gain. I mean there are plenty of interests that would like to see him go away including a terminally ill, irrelevant mainstream media for one (CNN/Fox/MSNBC) and a corrupt political class for another (he shouldn't have spoken favourably of Bernie Sanders or Tulsi Gabbard, that's against the rules)

Then I came across this analysis and it seems to make perfect sense...

I mean at the end of the day this is all about power and control. Joe is (or has been) outside the influence of traditional (i.e. easily compromised) power structures. "They" (existing power centers) couldn't get to him. Until now perhaps...

Do you think this SuperPAC explanation is convincing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

My opinion is he's been one of the few over the past 2 years that was giving a fairly balanced view on covid etc,

So mainstream media wants to fuch anybody not following the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is that lad Jimmy Dore not a conspiracy theory fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

He tried claiming a few weeks ago the CIA was funding youtube channels to take him down 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Control the narrative.

The democratisation of information hasn't gone according to plan and now they want to curb it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Pretty funny watching Neil Young trying to claim some moral high ground by moving his streaming catalogue over to Amazon. Neil wants to keep on rockin in a corporatocracy world where the employees are treated like dirt and where the likes of the Blackstone Group own his entire back catalogue.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

The same reason cigarette companies were forced to make sure their products come with health warnings and display those on the box. You are in favour of that right? Misinformation causes bad things to happen in society including people dying, for example the poor old lad in Donegal who left hospital because of the anti vax idiots. This is why hundreds of doctors wrote a letter to Spotify.

I haven't even got to the racism part where he has come out and apologised and admitted he was wrong for sayiing some of the stuff he said. No point in getting into that with closet racists who will defend any kind of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Rogan has admitted and apologised for giving a one sided view of vaccinations and restrictions.

Hes also said its taken out of context but he has used the N word a lot in the past and won't be doing so again.

These are things he's owned up to and also the things people have a problem with. i don't see any conspiracy here on any of that.

For me he's just a user making money by playing up to the low hanging fruit of the easily outraged, privileged and led, by telling them they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I don't particularly like Joe Rogan as a person or think he is especially funny but he has some of the most interesting guests on his podcast.

The old media hate him because he has many more listeners than any of the political pundits on CNN/NBC etc. and he is not able to be censored by the establishment so they are try to dig up any small bit of dirt on him and hope something sticks.

I think it has massively backfired and actually may have gained him some more listeners.

This started quite a while ago when White House press secretary Jen Psaki called for more censorship from big tech and social media. They specifically mentioned misinformation and disinformation. Admittedly most disinformation can be traced back to a handful of users. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2021/07/15/press-briefing-by-press-secretary-jen-psaki-and-surgeon-general-dr-vivek-h-murthy-july-15-2021/

Then Joe Rogan pointed out that Psaki was spreading misinformation when she said at the time that mrna vaccines had passed the gold standard in fda approval. They were given emergency approval. Maybe Psaki and the White House should follow their own advice and hold themselves accountable rather than going after podcasters having conversations.

Fourth, we’re saying we expect more from our technology companies. We’re asking them to operate with greater transparency and accountability. We’re asking them to monitor misinformation more closely. We’re asking them to consistently take action against misinformation super-spreaders on their platforms” -that’s the us government calling for censorship.

Just take a.look at any of these alleged fact-checkers and it’s easy to see how political and one sided information has become. Anything the government says is true and correct and everything else is misinformation.

The risk and impact there is that this type of information magnifies, you know, the risk of potential side effects associated with Western vaccines. This is what they’re — what the information — some of this misinformation is doing — and misleads the public by falsely alleging that mRNA vaccines are untested and, thus, risky, even though many of them are approved and have gone through the gold standard of the FDA approval process. “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What's really going on with the Joe Rogan controversy is that he drew attention to people outside of his target audience through pedaling conspiracy theory type nonsense and purporting to know more than people specifically trained in the field.

Neil Young, who knows intimately the benefits of vaccines said that he didn't want to have his music on a platform which willingly allowed someone to broadcast information that would likely lead to people getting sick or dying if they took his opinions as fact.

Then, once the light was shone on Joe, people started looking more closely at his show and found several instances of unacceptable behaviour leading to shows being removed. I understand Joe himself wanted them to be reviewed and removed as was done.

This is nothing like a case of government censorship some people are hoping and praying that it is.

Kyle Kulinski (very progressive) believes his episode was scrubbed because Joe may have used the n-word, regardless of context. (In this instance quoting a rap song). Initially he believed it was because he was talking about Saudi Arabia. Just a coincidence though that Spotify have just moved into the Saudi market. You lose hours worth of conversation because a no no word was used in context.

I don't think his association/friendship with Alex Jones (another podcaster/online newstertainer that's based in ATX) is helping Rogan here either.

Jones used to be the real deal, or at least, had some value, when he was just on Austin public access TV and early Internet radio, doing shows about the war-mongering Bush family, having shows on depleted uranium and gulf war syndrome, exposing the hypocrisy of the ruling elite on all sides. Over the years he has become a complete charlatan, a Trumpanzee, and a self-parodying joke.

I don't think anyone should be silenced, but it's not a good look for Joe (who I never listen to, BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As Rogan - as we can now see - has sold his own back catalogue to Spotify, along with editorial control over his future podcasts, for $100 million we can hardly say that he is any more independent of the corporatocracy than Young is. In this incident he seems to have compromised his own views and values on free speech in order to maintain his commercial interests in his relationship with Spotify. I wouldn't delude myself that Rogan is some kind of outsider.

That wouldn't be a "backfire"; it's what he's paid to do. Spotify paid him $100 million precisely because they thought he could bring them more listeners. And if this episode illustrates anything it's that he absolutely is able to be censored by the establishment - with his own co-operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

So is Rogan now main stream media ? considering he gets more listeners than the likes of CNN and Fox ... getting paid whopper amounts of money to keep pushing content that these listeners will mop up.

Those who rally against the MSM will now have a bit of a moral dilemma unless they only have time for MSM which agrees with their bias already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there was some chatter that a Democratic Superpac was behind all the latest stuff, its midterm elections year so perhaps a bit of preemptive carpet bombing. Or just corporate shinnagans trying to take out the opposition.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Bingo. Flew below the radar cos most people over a certain age hadn't a clue who he is/was. Got too big for his boots, had multiple episodes where he talked about the effectiveness of vaccines and how dangerous misinformation can be, how people shouldn't be spreading their own flawed 'research' etc.

These days he's done a complete 180 and has become that which he railed against previously. He got Covid and claimed he beat it using Ivermectin........when in reality he used Ivermectin and a whole raft of other drugs and treatments out of the reach of the common man.

“Monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, Z-Pak, prednisone, everything. I also got an NAD drip and a vitamin drip and I did that three days in a row.”

Once the spotify issue reared its head and the Neil Young saga went viral, all of a sudden he's in the spotlight and all his past indiscretions get raked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

He really didn't though. Much like his politics - he typically has way more people on from the side that he agrees with, than the other. He also treats them completely differently when they're on too.

For example, compare the conversations on vaccines that he had with Robert Malone (ant-vaxx) and Rhonda Patrick (pro-vaxx). With Patrick he rigorously probed every claim that she made up to the point at which she admitted that "nobody knew for sure" or "sure, it's possible"*. In contrast he gave Malone free reign to spin his discredited pseudo science without the same forensic level of questioning. That's not balance.

*one of the differences between proper scientists and quacks is that the quacks are always full of conviction and never admit to not knowing anything. If someone admits to not knowing something it's often a good indicator that they're on the level since the world and scientific research in particular is full of uncertainty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Rogan would take over the world if he added one thing, a panel of live expert fact checkers. Joe Rogan talking to an "expert" is not a level playing field and I doubt Jamie could keep up.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Not deluding myself at all P, I know full well Rogan is much a part of the corporatocracy as Neil Young is. Big difference here is that Joe Rogan never made a name for himself back in the day making folk songs extolling the virtues of the simple hard-working person, while nowadays he finds himself in the greasy bed with some of the most despicable corporate entities that basically treat their manual workforce like dirt.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

I don't have time to listen to all of Joe Rogan's long form, sometimes 3 hour podcasts, but I listen to some now and then. I've heard in the media that he's spreading Covid misinformation. Can you confirm this? I don't believe he's anti-vaccine, but chose not to get it, after people he knew got very sick from it. He has interviewed vaccine sceptics, but he has also interview many others who take the opposing view. And you never hear from vaccine sceptics in mainstream media. Im triple vaccinated, but still like hearing alternative points of view. when that controversy blew up with Neil Young, Joe did promise to ensure more balance in his coverage.

He has apologised for using the N-word. It was always a taboo word to call someone it, and rightly so. But now it has taken on magical powers, and it cannot even be used in a sentence like "President Harry S. Trumann used to refer to black people in private as N------". Or Huckleberry Finn was banned from schools due to the use of the word N-----". As far as I can tell from the short clips, Joe Rogan has never referred to someone as the N-word. But rather used it in different context, which are now unacceptable.

Do you think he is racist, by as far as I can tell , referring to the n-word, rather than calling someone it, and then apologising?

The Idea That Whites Can’t Refer to the N-Word - The Atlantic

Its so taboo now that warning people not use a word which sounds like it is more than "problematic"

Professor Is At Center Of Controversy Over Chinese Word That Sounded Like Racial Slur : NPR

As far as I can tell , the anti-Joe Rogan smear campaign really got into gear when he supported Bernie over Hillary Clinton.

Some Media Outlets Are Gaslighting Us About Joe Rogan | Psychology Today Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Excellent video. Noah does indeed explain it quite nicely.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

He knew using the N word was offensive but he really really wanted to. I think it was more about him thinking he should than any thoughts of the upset or insult it might cause.

Black people being insulted by hearing it or not wanting to be called it is enough. We don't need a debate.

He has admitted to being one sided on covid vaccines and restrictions.

Hes playing up to his audience. He's a charactature.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zerone

I think it's unfortunate Joe didn't have some more guests on to counter the contrarian view of some of his guests like Robert Malone. Because this just gave his enemies (e.g. the Democratic Party establishment, MSM) ammunition to take him down.

Joe is often portrayed as right wing, which as far as I can tell (I listen to some but not all of his shows) seems to be complete 'ox

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1491841629665525766?cxt=HHwWjIDU1duDi7QpAAAA

It's just a meaningless smear tactic now. I mean even Russel Brand is also being called 'right-wing' now FFS

Just so happens Russel has a rapidly growing audience and consistently speaks out against an increasingly corrupt political class and media that does not serve the interests of the majority.

Interesting that...

Just so happens Russel has a rapidly growing audience and consistently speaks out against an increasingly corrupt political class and media that does not serve the interests of the majority.

Russel Brand has called on people to support Labour, I don't know who made the list and identified him as right wing, but I suspect someone who didn't know a huge amount by them.

Him consistently speaking out against an increasingly corrupt political class and media that does not serve the interests of the majority is proof enough that he isn't going to be aligned with the UK right wing interests.

Balance??? And you think mainstream media like RTE etc has given a balanced approach the past 2 years?? I'd strongly disagree.

Malone is one of the worlds experts on vaccines and helped invent them so how is he anti vax??

Can you point me me to some of Malone's research on any of the COVID vaccines? No?

• Advertisement

Advertisement