Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's really going on with the recent Joe Rogan controversy?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They said the same about Donald getting kicked off Twitter and Facebook, and look how that has played out.

I'm being a bit flippant there, of course Joe could easily run a platform from his own basement, that's effectively how he started. But if he were to leave Spotify now, without going to a major recognized platform I think he would see his audience drop off significantly. If this were to happen, it would be because Spotify no longer wanted to carry him, for whatever reason, and if that were the case, other big players like Apple and Acast might stay away for similar reasons and while a lot of people listen to him, I'm not sure that all of them would do so as much if they had to seek him out outside of a dedicated platform. (He's no different to anyone else really in this respect)

Exactly, either play by their rules or no game for you. The argument that you can just start your own is long dead, even for someone as wealthy as Rogan.

And so it has been since day dot.

Even the sitting President who claimed to be one of the wealthiest business men on the planet (debatable) couldn't just spout nonsense or have it his own way.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequence or that other people have to put their company/product/business/reputation at risk just to accommodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The' former' sitting president I guess you meant. Freudian slip.

He was sitting President when he was kicked off it.

A Freudian slip in relation to him would have been if I suggested that they had 'eliminated him', rather than they 'eliminated his account'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I have to admit that I'm at a loss as to what the whole hoo hah is about myself. Rogan's show is just people talking in a freeform conversation and, frankly, it's usually a million times more interesting than any late night American talk show where guest are there simply to hock their latest bit of crap.

Rogan's show reminds me of what the Late Late used to be like before the 90's, or if we stay with the US, something like Dick Cavett. It's guests on talking about something.

You don't have to buy everything they or Rogan says and, in many cases, it's obvious why. But, at least, it's often an absorbing conversation.

Advertisement