Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Barista Express

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Yep same as now for me, just keep it for times when you need to backflush the machine it probably keeps that little insert in place a bit better, but I was shocked at how grimey mine was as I had been cleaning the portafilter after every use.

@DaveyDave good shout on this, I empty mine regularly but always give it a scrub at the weekend, it builds up a nice layer of grounds pretty quick. I may invest in a dosing cup at some point, I think a lot of it is coming from grounds spilling over the side of my portafilter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Since there's talk of cleaning at the minute, it might be worth mentioning the shower screen. I find that it needs to be removed quite regularly and wiped/cleaned in the sink. It builds up gunk like the portafilter does, even the cleaning tablets don't seem to clear it. You'll have to use the provided hex key, but it's an easy job. I also changed my shower screen to an IMS version, with IMS basket. I find that they might a slight improvement to my shots, less channelling. Definitely not essential, but might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was looking not long ago and didn't think any of the IMS screens fit the Barista Express? Must look again I wouldn't mind picking them up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is the exact one I bought:

It mentions that you may have to make a modification to the screw hole on the new shower screen, but I didn't have to. My machine is only a year and a half old or so. And this is the basket I got:

The H24 option is equivalent to the stock Sage double basket.

Question regarding cleaning, how often do you descale, and how often would you backflush the machine? Only when the light comes on, or more regularly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Help Please!!!!

Got Sage Barista Express machine for Christmas - I’m getting pretty frustrated with the machine - can someone please, in laymans terms, tell me how to make a good Americano. I’ve tried every permutation of grind size / quantity / beans etc but still haven’t mastered a good cup that makes me think the machine is worth it.

can you share your best bean / grind size & quantities so that I can further experiment (I know coffee is an individual choice but would like to see what’s working for others).

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Where did you have good Americano last?

To make Americano you have to pull good espresso shot first.This is your main target , dilute it with the hot water after.

You say you've tried everything, but what are your results? That's what really counts.

To start, aim for 18g of coffee in, 36-40g of coffee out. This should take around 30 seconds from the moment you press the shot button, to the last drop into your cup.

You should be using fresh beans, and the double basket (non-pressurised) while ensuring you have a nicely tamped, level puck.

The "espresso dial" should go to around 1-2 o clock, the espresso range on that dial is really vague.

Of course, this is all subjective and comes down to personal preferences and taste. I find the best results with the machine to be 18g in, 40g out in 33-35 seconds total.

If you are struggling to get shots to take their time like this, then you need to grind finer. Adjusting the upper (internal) burr is probably a step you need to take - the default is 6 but I set mine to 3 and found it gave me more flexibility with grind size overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭testtech05

Has anyone purchased a replacement group head gasket? I checked Amazon but most of the options seemed to be either sold out or the reviews were not great.

Had an issue with the gasket coming loose last week but since I reseated it it has been fine but I want to have a spare ready when/if it happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Yep, bought them directly from Sage a couple of months ago. I had my machine a few months with no issues, then one day the gasket burst. It appeared it was just unseated but when I actually removed it there was a small tear in the rubber.

I ordered a couple of spares from Sage, replaced the gasket and everything was fine for a couple of weeks before it happened again. Replaced again and it was gone within 2 weeks. At that point I reached out to customer service and they organised a replacement machine.

Just checked their website, I see they're out of stock (and double the price I paid 😮)

Sounds similar to my situation so but I removed the seal again this morning (I had forgotten about the issue as it only seems to occur when the machine pressure goes very high) so I started a cleaning cycle and after a few seconds at full pressure it popped out again.

This time I inspected it more closely but cant find any tears or holes in it it must be just stretched or something. I since ordered one from a company called Blu Star Coffee in Galway bit more expensive than I had hoped but hopefully it solves my issue.

For now it works OK as long as I dont over pressurise it when making the coffee so will revisit it once I have the new seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Seems to be a lot of people on adverts/done deal selling new boxed unopened Sage's for good prices.

Anyone bought one like this, or have any tips for verifying whether they're legit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

it's on as a special for Prime Day, 400 stg I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Possibly cheaper from Amazon.de if you can get over it coming with an EU plug, as it's €390.99 plus shipping from there, whereas the UK price comes out in or around €480 when converted

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I was delighted to get one from Amazon.de delivered for €420 last week. It's arriving tomorrow and I cant wait!

The Amazon.co.uk deal of €480 was a disaster. I tried to buy it, but for some reason amazon was applying the Irish VAT and import duties on the full price before the prime deduction, making the total €565. Customer service couldn't fix it, which was lucky as the German price came shortly after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Has anybody any experience with the impress version of this? I was originally going to go b2c but since the impress helps with tamping, dosing and mess it seems like a better option? Price is high since it’s fairly new but I’m hoping there is a price drop by Black Friday.

That's a significant increase in cost for something that is still just a manual tamper, one of these will do exactly the same thing if you're looking for level and consistent tamping.

Edit: nevermind, I see there's also some sort of assisted dosing going on with the new machine. With that in mind, €800+ is a lot for a machine with a questionable grinder. Lots of people ended up getting a separate grinder due to inconsistent results with the Barista Express. I'm not sure if the new machine grinds any better, but I wouldn't recommend spending that sort of money on a Barista Express.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

There’s no way I’d pay that price for it tbh. My assumption is because it’s new it is priced high so in a few months when they drop the price they can say 200 off or whatever. It’s pretty much the standard for appliances as far as I know, they can’t say there is x amount off unless it was sold at that price for a certain amount of time.

The grinder is the same as the normal express and pro but the amount of adjustments is in between both at 26.

Im really looking for the simplest option here and any extra step may stop my girlfriend from using it I reckon so the impress seems ideal. The above tamper does sound great but again the less steps and mess the better really. It’s why I was initially going towards bean to cup but everything you see says this should be better as all semi autos are?

I do like the idea in general, that total noob could pull decent shot with this one. Would it work in real life ? Hard to know. It looks like it grinds by timer , not by weight , otherwise I might consider it to get for the person who is too lazy to learn proper way .

• Advertisement

Going by what I’ve seen it still is grinding by time but when you tamp it knows how much is in there. So if more is needed you hit the button again and if there is too much you need to use the tool.

That what I meant. To get proper shot you need to follow some guidance, recipes.

You should weight you beans and the wet weight of the espresso that you have extracted. ( yield) . Most common recipes 1:2 ratio.

16g beans for 32g yield for instance.

I'm not quite sure I understand the Impress, if it's to help beginners get into espresso it's very expensive and you still have to play around with grind size, extraction time, yield etc. At that rate just get a regular Barista Express and practice the extra few steps on top of what you're already learning?

Once you know the basics it's not hard to get a half decent coffee once you have fresh beans. You don't have to dial everything in perfectly, I certainly don't!

Good to see so many positive reviews. Am a big coffee fan but have been using one of those aluminium Bialetti things for the past few years. I like the aesthetics.

Would and upgrade so the Sage Barista really make much difference to my coffee ? I currently grind the beans myself (with a grinding machine) and use the ground coffee in the Bialetti. I don't mind the wait (5-10 minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Newbie post, got tired of drinking filter coffee at home so have plunged for the Sage Barista Express Impress:

https://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/coffee-machines/all-coffee-machines/sage-the-barista-express-impress-stainless-steel.html

Could anyone recommend a decent bean to get me going and one which wont break the bank! - typically like cafe style americanos & maybe the odd cappuccino if that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

For the last few weeks, I have thought about selling my Sage Barista Express. I haven't used it in 3 months between sickness and lazyiness.

I want to buy fresh beans to give it another go and see if I can be persuaded to keep it. I am hoping someone here who has the same Machine can recommend beans they find nice and easy to dial in, one they consistently go back to.

Im far from an expert on my machine but get pretty consistent results with the Velo beans from Aldi, obviously not as fresh as you can get but i find them nice

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

That's great, I am going to my local Aldi later to see if they have the doubled-walled glassware in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Maybe I'm easily pleased but I get very good coffee out of this machine with little fuss. It took me a short while at the start to find my favourite beans and my settings but in the end it turned out to be pretty easy.

I use Lidl Bravo Tango beans which are nice mellow not too strong bean with a good taste and they are always pretty fresh and give good results at a half decent price.

I use doubles and have the grind adjusted 8 clicks back from the coarse end and the grind amount almost halfway between standard and minimum, maybe 1 or 2 mm more towards standard. With that I use the standard brew length and I get good crema and a lovely taste and the pressure gauge is practically always in the perfect zone

I mostly have cappuccinos and they taste easily as good if not better than anything you buy in any of the major chain coffee shops. Anyone else who tasted these agrees with me.

I find all these micro adjustments and weighing your beans and whatnots a bit over the top can't really see how all that would be necessary. For cleaning I bought comparably cheap cafiza tablets and for descaling I bought a big tub of citric acid from the chemist. I do this for well over a year now and it just works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement