Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Barista Express

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭S_D

I was wondering can anyone help me. Driving me MAD!!! I am consistant with the grind - I weigh all my coffee - 22 g of coffee sometimes it pushes out 42g in around 27 seconds sometimes 65g for the same time. I do noting different. I’m clueless to how / why it’s doing this. Anyone any ideas ? The tamper is pressured so it’s the same every time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

S_D wrote: »
    I was wondering can anyone help me. Driving me MAD!!! I am consistant with the grind - I weigh all my coffee - 22 g of coffee sometimes it pushes out 42g in around 27 seconds sometimes 65g for the same time. I do noting different. I’m clueless to how / why it’s doing this. Anyone any ideas ? The tamper is pressured so it’s the same every time too.

First thing that seems odd to me is your dose weight, I have never managed more than 19.5g, then again only tried so many.

Silly questions but just checking, fresh beans? Preheat machine (blank flush or 2)? Descaled and cleaned?

Pre heat helped consistency for me but never had that much variance. Maybe over dose/tamping is resulting in channelling - finer grind, lighter tamp worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Does anyone else's drip/purge tray fill very quickly? I'm emptying mine a couple of times a week, making maybe 3 coffees a day on average. Have had the machine since 2017 so wondering if a seal has possibly worn, as I recently had to replace a seal in the group head that was well past its sell by date.

First thing that seems odd to me is your dose weight, I have never managed more than 19.5g, then again only tried so many.

Silly questions but just checking, fresh beans? Preheat machine (blank flush or 2)? Descaled and cleaned?

Pre heat helped consistency for me but never had that much variance. Maybe over dose/tamping is resulting in channelling - finer grind, lighter tamp worth a go

I use a slightly larger basket maybe that’s the issue. Il try the original basket and lower dose to see if that helps. It’s strange it’s perfect sometimes and others wildly off

Yes to all your points. I do all that before pulling the shot

Does anyone else's drip/purge tray fill very quickly? I'm emptying mine a couple of times a week, making maybe 3 coffees a day on average. Have had the machine since 2017 so wondering if a seal has possibly worn, as I recently had to replace a seal in the group head that was well past its sell by date.

yes im the same. when you use the steamer etc quite a bit drips into the tray from it at the rear of the tray (you cant see it unless you'll pull it out). But i once finished using the steamer and pulled out the tray and a decent amount of water was flowing from the overflow for around 15 seconds afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭downtheroad

S_D wrote: »
    yes im the same. when you use the steamer etc quite a bit drips into the tray from it at the rear of the tray (you cant see it unless you'll pull it out). But i once finished using the steamer and pulled out the tray and a decent amount of water was flowing from the overflow for around 15 seconds afterwards

Yeah thats exactly it, the back right hand corner of the drip tray. Sounds like there's nothing wrong so, glad to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

We empty our drip tray probably once a week, two coffees a day. One Americano, one cappuccino.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Just got this delivered from etsy. Should come with every machine tbh!

il-1588x-N-2997973386-foih.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do you have a link? The grinds spilling out grinds my gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Just came across this steam lever that'd save some thumb fiddling but wondering has anyone got or seen similar from a euro seller?

https://www.cremacoffeepro.com/products/steam-handle-for-breville-barista-express

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

5500 wrote: »
    Just came across this steam lever that'd save some thumb fiddling but wondering has anyone got or seen similar from a euro seller?

https://www.cremacoffeepro.com/products/steam-handle-for-breville-barista-express

That looks great. A quick Google doesn't throw up many suggestions unfortunately but let us know how you get on. Surprised it's not up on aliexpress or similar sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Works out at €33 delivered if it flys under the customs radar, if not its looking like about €47 all in.

There's some plastic versions on etsy for less but mixed reviews as it's just a cover as opposed to a complete replacement like the one above

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/878385793/lever-knob-for-steam-and-hot-water

Half tempted to take a punt on the first one though and see if it slips through the net

fits wrote: »
    Do you have a link? The grinds spilling out grinds my gears.

Sorry. Here ya go!

I'm new this espresso machine. The mess it makes it's very frustrating without a dosing funnel

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/996523993/54mm-dosing-funnel-for-sage-barista?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=54mm+dosing+funnel&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&col=1&variation0=1921288952#

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

I had one a few days back on my table for repairing. There was an issue with it on the steam side, was not coming out.... Nice, lovely coffee machine, well, if you are good at making good milk foam only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Anyone see an almost relocation.of the sageqcbine in aldi this week? Not.sure of the specs, bit it's identical.to.the sage barista looks wise

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone see an almost relocation.of the sageqcbine in aldi this week? Not.sure of the specs, bit it's identical.to.the sage barista looks wise

Almost identical, not a rebadge though.

Espresso-Maker-with-Grinder-A.jpg?o=%40EFaGXYx%40bUiuuqn8GdMwa35u%40kj&V=JTno&w=1200&p=2&q=50

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-espresso-maker-with-grinder/p/803585466092701

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Some Hoffmann review on this one from Aldi.
    https://youtu.be/tuFQbiIVUkw
    He says it is very poor ( I wouldn’t believe every word of it as Hoffmann famous for his Sage “advertising”. ) It might be as bad( or good) as Sage gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

If you are going to do a review then approach machine from front. He looks very awkward to the side. He should of also tried a different grinder but I suppose defeats the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

ED E wrote: »

As with all things in life you get what you pay for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

As with all things in life you get what you pay for
    Do not venture into the audiophile world with that attitude. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

I didn't think much of that Hoffmanan review of the Aldi lookalike. He took it out the box and made one adjustment to the grind setting before going to town on it.
    It takes longer than that to dial in any machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sorry if I missed this mentioned already, I see Harvey Norman have a Sage water filter for €16.95, seems to be the cheapest I can see online and can collect so don't have to pay €6-7 on shipping.

Don't see any alternative brands on Amazon, so will grab that one unless anyone knows an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

I've been getting frustrated with the machine lately and the effort required for a coffee. With two young kids it feels like I struggle for the time to grind brew and then froth. It's my issue and not the machine obviously but I'm thinking of downgrading to a fully automatic bean to cup machine. It'll be a bit of a hit on the quality of coffee but the one Button solution feels like a good fit.

It's probably a terrible idea, somebody talk me out of it please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

breeno wrote: »
    I've been getting frustrated with the machine lately and the effort required for a coffee. With two young kids it feels like I struggle for the time to grind brew and then froth. It's my issue and not the machine obviously but I'm thinking of downgrading to a fully automatic bean to cup machine. It'll be a bit of a hit on the quality of coffee but the one Button solution feels like a good fit.

Haha I had the same thoughts, especially when i just wanted a quick coffee between meetings.

Having gotten hold of an improved tamper (Fixed depth so not over/under tamp), one of the dose cone things (to stop beans spilling) and weighing in my dose, I find I can make it more consistent and much quicker now.

Still takes the 5 or so mins but I can live with that. I assume that any decent auto machine is not cheap.

Not sure if that helps.....

I just my first message to flush my barista pro. Any recommendations for tablets, descaler and filters? Or does everyone go with sage branded products

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

breeno wrote: »

I only have my machine about a month and a bit now, and at the start it was quite the ordeal for me to get a nice cup out of it. Many went down the drain. I've since been buying 1KG bags, dial it in and then filling the hopper a nice bit (the beans don't sit for long, I drink 2 a day and usually family call for 1 or 2 also)

I stopped weighing my beans in and out, I have a good feel for it now in terms of what the portafilter should look like. Shake the portafilter as it fills with coffee to stop it making a mess and then brew using the button.

So now I can make quick coffee without issue, and at the weekends I can get more into refinement, weighing in and out and shot times again etc... :D

Going to invest in a dosing/tamp tool now which will help too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I just my first message to flush my barista pro. Any recommendations for tablets, descaler and filters? Or does everyone go with sage branded products

The Sage stuff is completely overpriced.

I backflush twice a week with these:

[url=https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/urnex-cafiza-cleaning-tablet-12g-11771-p.asp[/url]

Then I descale once a month with these:

[url=https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/puly--descaler-sachets-x-10-2576-p.asp[/url]

When I descale I I also remove the shower screen completely and let it soak in water with a dissolved cafiza tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ED E wrote: »

Not even vaguely close in appearance... just because they put the gauge in a similar location, used a colour slightly similar and copied the overall proportion of the Sage...

This thing looks abismal. I wouldn't have much confidence in its ability to function to a high standard, just based on its appearance. A €300 paperweight possibly? I's be delighted to be proven wrong.

You can tell from the photos that it is poorly painted plastic... cheap moldings... the shut lines are gapeing and they couldnt even get the top to sit right for the photo... giant bezel on an off the shelf gauge... Hopper looks like it was re-purposed from an old juicer. My advice... stay away...

• Advertisement

Genuinely pulling my hair out trying to dial in the barista pro. I got a bag of cloudpicker Sam as a gift and I nearly gone through the entire bag before I got something that tastes good.

Could not get consistency using a palm tamper/distributor and scales.

Will need to practice on cheaper coffee!

Advertisement