Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

A 40kg bag of smokeless ovoids is about €25 if buying from a garage etc. at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Got easyglow large ovoids last year and was very happy with them but with high ash stories decided not to order this year. Kosy King not doing half tonnes this year and just couldn't be arsed with the whole coal warehouse rigmarole so decided to order from the Co op superstores. Not overly cheap, 20 bags for 200 +25 delivery so not even a half tonne. Went with premium smokeless coal, its a largish ovoid. Pain in the arse to get lighting but very happy with the performance. Very long lasting and only refuelled once after that. Using them in an open fire but I'd say they would be great in a stove. they are made in Ireland. Glad I went with these as I just couldn't deal with crap coal. Just an alternative option for people to consider if they are wary ordering from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

Got the smokeless large Ovids for stove earlier in the year from EG (still have some bags left). Went with the mixed pallet from EG (Triple Heat, Household Doubles and Columbian Doubles) last week. I have a Waterford Stanley Shamrock Stove, which seems to be multi-fuel going by Google, but the thing is burning real hot with the Columbian Doubles. I'm not stacking the coal up high but I've had to put out the fire yesterday, with water, as it was overheating and there was banging on the pipes, coming from the stove, that sounded like someone was smacking them with a bar. The rads were warm so the pump was working. Top and bottom vents were closed also and the water was not that hot so the heat is not going through the whole system, just the pipe coming from the stove was overheating.

Are the Columbian Doubles maybe too high heat for the stove? (never had this issue with the smokeless Ovids)....sorry for derailing the thread! I'm afraid to go near the Triple Heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mikewest

Non plumbing expert opinion here! It sounds like there is some issue with the plumbing, pump might be working but not hard enough or not enough return water/cold water or partial blockage in the central heating system. Banging in the pipes as you describe is steam or water at over 100 degC which should not be happening in your stove. It is not the good quality fuel that is the problem, it is just highlighting a symptom of the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Where's the bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

The fact I'm using a fraction of the amount compared to smokeless Ovids, huge difference between the two - cost and usage. If you are not in a smokeless zone the columbian doubles is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carrollfc

Bought half tonne of Hayes Hi Heat smokeless coal from the Dandy's because it seemed like a good deal. However, the bags are filled with a mix of good quality large pieces and small pebbles which just fall through the grate. Pretty dissapointed overall as I am burning through it in record time.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

With increased delivery costs it looks like there is no longer much to be saved buying from the North, although perhaps the quality is better?

Just wondering if it is worth chancing Co-Op Superstores?

Any opinion on this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Hi,

I bought a large batch of smokeless ovoids from CW in February last year.

I called up to my father this evening and he told me for the last few weeks he has been pulling large lumps out of the fire from the coal.

I went to the fire and I pulled out a load of strange shaped pumps that didn't burn. Does anyone know what these are and what the issue is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭jmreire

I bought a ton off them, same as your ones Hayes High Heat..a lot of them like marbles, mixed with larger lumps. Back a few posts, one poster explained if by saying that one kind had to be mixed with something else, ( Calco ?? ) When I opened and tipped out the first bag, I was very disappointed too, but the next door neighbor had them last year, and found them fine, so got them this year as well. I bought a few bags Colombian coal, and mix them together and it seems to be working out well, so far anyway.....they run very hot though.

• Advertisement

Yes that stuff is good. Have written about it above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carrollfc

Ya that's the stuff alright, decent heat but just a bit of a pain in the arse

Well the way things are going, hard to know where it will all end up...I've spent €380 for a ton of Hayes Hi Heat coal, ( 50 x 20 kg bags) back in November, and in the same time frame, I spent €470 for 3 trailer loads ( 8 x 4 ), 500 Ltrs Oil €450, so Total of €1300. So starting to think now what's the most cost effective way to heat the house,,,, ( BTW, very little wood left, so will need another €470 will be needed, bringing the total to €1770,( if not more,,,) Roughly €75 per week for 6 Mths. How is oil heating working out for anyone who is using just oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Oil is way cheaper than coal,even more so than logs. Have you a stove, I'd say a stove uses half what a fire uses. Might be worthwhile looking into attic insulation.

Dunno if I'd burn Colombian coal in a stove - there is ferocious heat out of Colombian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Not sure what that is but I am burning CW smokeless ovoids in a stove and all that's left over is fine dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Yes, I haven't noticed any lumps in my fire from the coal. The bags I bought are shared among 3 households so maybe it's just a small batch that it is happening to.

Now that I'm aware of the issue, I'm going to keep an eye out for them.

Yes its a solid fuel stove, a Charnwood 16B, Its a pretty heavy duty stove...I have it about 10 years, and I have burned everything ( except briquettes or turf) and no problem ( mainly due to ignorance..) but petroleum coke is not allowed, but I think that I've used it in the past. I have it hooked up to 7 Rads, and to be honest, it heats the house better than the oil, especially in sub zero circumstances. I don't think that there's any more "Economic" options..Prices for everything are sky rocketing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Just have to reiterate how bad the coal - large ovoids from easy glo are. I went through the full ton dunce mid October and terrible amount of ash and not the best heat. Goes like this... When using the coal from easy glo, best I could do is get the house up roughly 2c degrees before a refill. Back on the suoer/glo therm and can get the house up 4c on a half fill, and 3 days to empty ash as opposed to every day.

I've come to the conclusion there is no point in ordering from the North, too inconsistent, well at least from coal warehouse and easy glo, no experience elsewhere. Local is obviously more expensive, but you know what you're buying. As the coal is getting more expensive, seems the sellers in the North are buying in cheap shite and ripping off their customers. I'm mind boggled why they are doing this as I've bought many tons frin the North but never again.

Any recommendations for a decent coal merchant in Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

Just got 800 kg of this stuff and its absolute sh!te.

Like many on here, I've gotten some bad coal from the North over the past few years so I decided to buy local this year. I have a Boru stove with a back boiler and was using ovoids from CW with great success for several years until the bad stuff appeared.

The ovoids from Co-op Superstore are just as bad as the poor quality batches from CW and EG. Poor heat and not burning out. The grate is full of partially burned pieces in the morning.

I really should have bought a smaller batch😒.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

I bought the same and can confirm it is as bad as the EG rubbish. It even says on the bag low ash. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

I've been buying smokeless ovoids for years now from coal warehouse in the north and haven't noticed any difference in the quality.

My stove still giving out good heat, easy to light and just ash left at the end.

Thanks Podge3 & IrishHusk,

That was what I suspected and I appreciate the heads up. How do they get away with selling this rubbish as coal?

With delivery it might be almost the same price from North but at least you're getting some heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

The co-op stuff works out 405 Euro with delivery so it works out at about 10 Euro per 20kg so pretty expensive. Difficult to know what to buy. I haven't got decent coal since I bought from kosy king a few years ago. I think I am going back to them even though it will be over 500 delivered but it should be good quality.

That is surprising to hear as I had the opposite experience. Great longlasting heat with very few clinkers in the morning. Ash not a problem, goes to a fine dust. get about 4 fires before having to clean it out. Sounds like it's not just the coal from the North that has qc problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

I'll be contacting Co-op and telling them to collect and refund the 800kg of poop they delivered. Luckily I paid by PayPal so that might make them more responsive.

What has gone wrong with coal in the last few years? I've had my stove for about 12 years and never had an issue until now.

At this stage, I'm thinking of going back to oil and just lightning a small fire in the stove.

Post edited by podge3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What are people's fuel recommendations for an open fire? I use the CW ovoids for a stove but find them poor in an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

I reckon a bag of blended coal and usually two types in same bag. Presuming you in a smokeless zone you can choose from petroleum coke and ovals . Ovals and nuggets. Nuggets and petroleum coke.

All suppliers have their own mix .

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have a 16kw backboiler stove running 11 rads, and I have brought 1 ton pallets of smokeless ovoids from Kosyking, EG and the Dandy Derrynoose over the last few years.

Here is my experience, for what its worth.

• The Kosyking own brand smokeless was great, burned with high heat output and just ash, no cinders. Very happy and have bought from them many times. Prices now appear not to make it worthwhile
    • EG small ovoids smokeless , burned ok heat, some small cinders and a lot of ash, left stove and chimney full of tar which took me 2 weeks to sort out and clean, never again.
    • The Dandy Derrynoose, Hayes Surelite smokeless, burned with high heat output and just ash, no cinders. Very happy and will buy again if the price is right.

• Advertisement

My first time buying from the Dandies ( used local supplier, first ton, fine. 2n ton, not good, but only saw the difference when I got near the end, and met a few bags from the original ton.) Hence the Dandies, and a ton of Hayes Hi Heat. The "pebbles" are a bit of a nuisance, but I mix them with Smokeless coal, and it works fine. Maybe for next winter, I'll try the "Doubles"?? How are you managing the pebbles???

Advertisement