Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

First off you check your stove manual if it's okay to use petroleum coke which is calco.

For instance the Charnwood 3b mentioned above is not suitable for burning this according to its online manual on Google.

It can be used as a stand alone with no other mix , but your modern age cast iron grate will burn out quickly .

Also this calco or petroleum coke is not sold on its own anywhere in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭jmreire

Mine is the Charnwood Country 16b Multi-fuel model, I've looked through the manual, and sure enough it does say that Petroleum Coke is not suitable for this appliance, and its use will invalidate the guarantee. And, ( given my luck ) the Hayes hi-Heat smokeless is exactly that???

So worse case scenario, what will happen? The base and front grille will get burnt out as standard I guess? So only thing for it now (as I have a ton of them !!! ) would be to dilute them with "Normal" coal, and hope for the best. Actually, I get about 2.5 days out of one coal scuttle fill, about 10 Kg. supplemented with wood ( ash at the moment ) And I tried them out for the first time today, fed them into an established fire. The seemed fine, only put in a handful, plenty of heat, and they lit up quick.

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Surely enough, I've dug out the 1980's manual for the stove and there in big letters .. "PETROLEUM COKE MUST NOT BE USED"

I'm surprised as we've burned every type of fuel in this stove over the years, anthracite for many years, and run her well hot too. The cast grate bars are swappable as one or two crack every year. This pet coke must burn fierce hot so.. that's a pity

Pretty much the same here, over the last 8 years, burned smokey and smokefree coals, ( mainly smoke free in recent years ) and plenty of wood. So far, and after last winter, there's a crack in the front grill bars, but its still working away fine. So I'll replace those ( and any other bars ) and be a bit more carefull when ordering coal the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Firaff

Hi guys new to this forum what is the best value for money for Smokeless these days, Im looking for an oval for a stove, one that burns well and gives off good heat but doesn't have too much Ash. Some of the prices are ridiculous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

I got a pallet of ovoids from easyglo, but would never use them again. It's takes a bit to decipher the problem at first as the heat output is OK.

The cons are there is nearly a full pan of Ash, compared to a little Ash from supertherm. They are 1.5 times bigger than supertherm so takes more to fill the stove. And finally, the heat is nowhere near supertherm.

I was going to order 2 pallets, I'm glad I didn't. I got it by the pallet for convenience more so than price, but I'll pay more and buy locally in future. Just not worth knowing what you might get. People on here saying easyglo are great, but supertherm and you'll see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

Hi, was that pallet ordered recently? I know this was an issue with a batch last year. A subsequent pallet was much improved - ash wise. About to order again and now i am wondering whether to look elsewhere if this problem is back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

To be fair, there was also lot of people on here complaining about EasyGlo over the past year or so and complaining about the very issue with ash that you have outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

New product launched by CW

👀👀

🚨NEW PRODUCT ALERT 🚨 

This product is a blend of smokeless ovoids an union nuggets suitable for a stove.

Slightly cheaper alternative available in 25kg bags.

€320 per tonne 🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 35,837 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I got EG coal, Smokeless Stove 30g ovoid. I use it on open fire though with dry hardwood. I find it to be amazing to be honest. Literally a few pieces with a couple of logs and it's incredible.

• Advertisement

It's not really fair at all. I did see that problem, but I saw it was rectified. Could be they kept a lot of the bad stuff and offload it to new customers. Once bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mun1

I got the bad batch of EG small ovoids 2 years ago They replaced them with a ton of large ovoids which are very good and on a par with CW ovoids.

i still used the ton of small ovoids as they didn’t want them back

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Not all the people who complained about EG said it was rectified. There was number including myself who said they'd look elsewhere. One thing I did learn from the thread over the past couple of months was there was so many conflicting reviews about nearly all the suppliers that It really became impossible to 100% sure about any of them. Like youself I was bitten by EG and won't be again, I'll try first before comitting to a one tonne order even if it means doing a bit of traveling to find out.

Post edited by darkside71 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I have only ever ordered the coal warehouse ovoids in bulk, i have gotten smaller amounts of similar products locally and no comparison. That's not to say that they will suit everyone, some might want higher heat, if i shut down the stove going to bed and come back a dozen hours later and open it up it lights away, very little Ash, got delivery yesterday and trying the new stuff today, seems the same, if i was being pedantic I would say that often there are briquettes or slack thrown in but I got what I ordered this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

What was your experience with the EG small ovoids? Did you burn them mixed with the larger replacement ovoids?

For what it’s worth i also had the small ovoids replaced and have started to use them again if only to use them up. They’re still not great but mixed with some larger ovoids and some timber not too bad (will not be using them when the weather gets cold as the large ones produce better heat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

I complained and they did not have the courtesy to respond to any of my emails. I will never go back to them. Ironically enough they lost a good customer in me as I have been asked by a number of people where I got my coal from and directed them away from EG. If EG had of engaged with me the situation would have been very different for them through increased business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hunterspark

Have to agree with other comments here and positively warn people away from Easyglow - having previously used small smokeless ovoids in my Stanley enclosed stove, I ordered a half ton of the large smokeless ovoids in October 21 and found them to burn very quickly with moderate heat and a lot of ash. I have complained but have only received a cursory acknowledgement "that it was being looked into" and nothing since despite numerous prompts. I've since bought a tonne of Tigerlady anthracite from TheDandys and found it to be easy to light, good value, long-burning with moderate ash. Yet another ex-Easyglow customer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

I have only ever bought ovids from CW and never had a problem. Received 4 pallets back in early September and they are burning great as usual. I'm not sure why folks are concerned. Our estate bought 26 pallets and not one complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kyriakos

Bought a ton of this crap coal last year, a ridiculous amount of ash every morning, clear out the stove and put the ash in a metal container and later into a plastic bag and then in the bin.

Done this until it was all gone, fast forward a few months and my bill for the bin collection for the next year drops in the letter box, due to the weight increase in by my bins i was been bumped up to the next level , a full 100 quid more expensive, i logged into the website and sure enough when i checked the weight of each bin lift the time i was burning this crap and disposing of the mountain of ash corresponded to a increase in bin weight each week, so feck all saving and burning a ton of crap coal, have since only bought stafford clarke coal and all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Daveyboy1977

What courier have people used used to get tonne of coal from CW, delivered to Mallow/Kanturk Co. Cork area? Just wondering the best ones, and what way you arranged it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭amber2

Now that's something else to factor in when choosing your coal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Who are people using atm moment to get a pallet delivered to the Clare/Limerick direction and prices please?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I used joe McGovern for delivery to Munster. It's straight forward to book them and it was €80 for a ton of coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Surely all the savings are lost if you have to pay £80 for delivery. how much do you think you have saved compared to local prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mun1

I bought a ton of large ovoids from easy glow for €418 inc delivery. I am using these large ovoids since last year and they are equal to CW ovoids.

CW would costs me €340 + €80 delivery = €420.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

1 tone pallet to the door in Cork would cost me €485 going on the below. My tone from CW ordered cost €280 plus £63stg to the door. CW usually drop their prices during the summer months.

Stove Glo - Patrick Murphy & Sons Fuels Ltd. (patrickmurphyandsons.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Yeah it's still a good saving. Though it has gone up €60 a ton since last year. Same everywhere though, I suppose.

Advertisement