Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

When I lived in Manchester in the late 90's, the 'spoons were avoided because of the bright lights and lack of atmosphere. We did have Holts pubs for cheap beer as an alternative though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Spoons in Cork isn’t too bright. I don’t get the obsession with pubs having to be dark.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I recommended Frank Ryan's to some English visitors to Dublin some years back. Probably should have suggested they bring head torches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I actually thought I was losing my sight when I first visited Frank Ryan’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Feels like sitting in a cafe instead of a pub. The ones that also have the tables laid out in grids are even worse, they're like sitting in a big canteen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In the UK Wetherspoons are making more than a third of their sales from food, they really pushed cheap tea, coffee and breakfast and I guess it made sense with the older demographic of their customers. In that context, I can see how brighter lights would make sense during the day at least.

It's a long time since I worked in the pub trade, but in some of the late pubs I worked in it's just as well the lights were turned down as low as they were, because if people could have seen the state of the surfaces they might not have been too happy. We didn't so much clean anything as take a damp cloth and wipe accumulated filth and dried beer about until it had a slightly different texture of stickiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's not just Spoons it's most UK pubs whether they have food or not. Staff I managed in London though I was going loopy when I tried to explain to them that it's important to turn lights down not up in the evening. I found customers in London preferred the dark pubs too it's just they were so used to mediocrity they didn't realize the wanted it till you showed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is something I often hear but it just doesn't fit with my experience of British pubs, at all. It really doesn't. I can't ever remember being in a British pub and thinking that the lighting was in anyway too bright. I tend not to go into Spoon's in UK, though.

To me, it seems that Irish people experience a bright pub or two and then extrapolate that all British pubs are too bright all the time.

I was in plenty in my almost 10 years over there and its not one or two. Lots of big clear windows and lights on full at night is very common. Most of the exceptions in my experience were in around Soho where there are a lot of pubs in the little pokey traditional style especially round Covent Garden and also the Sam Smiths chain which are all over that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Big clear windows and lights on full at night - sounds like The Old Stand!

Not a place to go for a sneaky drink when you were supposed to be elsewhere... or with someone else!

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Went to Wetherspoons in Grand Canal last night. Worse than expected. Due to a "late delivery" they only had about a quarter of their taps working. No sign on anything though, so you had to keep pointing and asking about something and then be told if they had it or not. Same went for some of the bottled beers I asked about.

Food was barely warmed up, and not really great value either.

Wouldn't really be bothered going back.

I would trust the app before what any member of staff said about what's available. In Camden Street on Sunday I asked for a pint of one of the beers and the barman (one of the management types, not a kid) told me that the badge is only there for decoration. When I said it was on the app he said it shouldn't be, then tried the tap, then poured me a pint of it. All part of the interactive entertainment you get for only €2.95 😁

Camden Street seems to be the only one in Dublin with a decent selection and turnover of cask beers, though it's good to see Jaipur is all but permanent in the others.

I was trying to order via the table QR code and website, and it didn't seem to have some things on the table menu so I went up to the bar. No punk on draught, no Hazy Jane in bottles, so went with the grapefruit IPA.

This was after the first time ordering when most of what I asked for wasn't available. They had no Jaipur, as it was the first thing I asked for.

No Jaipur, no forgiveness 😡

No Punk and no Jaipur. How bad do you have to be to run out of the same beer twice 😀

Is it the same? Haven't been to Wetherspoons since the one on Abbey St. opened, and I had a load of vouchers for Punk that time.

So don't think I've had Jaipur, but it just sounded like what I wanted after he said they had no Punk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original recipe of Punk - about three recipe changes ago - was cribbed off Jaipur as that's what Martin Dickie had been working on before.

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of that. I'll do a bit of researching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Made me sad when the mentioned a pint at The Rake at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Waterford spoons finally open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is this correct?

10 opened so far, one sold, nine open now in RoI?

Dublin city centre = 3

Dublin suburbs = 3

Carlow, Cork Waterford = 3

Where is next?

I know they bought a building in Galway.

Every time a site becomes free in Limerick it's rumoured to be a Spoons or a Nandos. There is always talk that they are actively looking but never anything concrete.

Dublin city centre 4 will likely open next year on Aston Quay.

There are ads for short team leases of the old offices above Dublin #4 so it may be a bit lower down the pipeline.

There's still at least five pub/public bar owners/operators with more than them (Press Up, Fitzgeralds, Dalata, Benny McCabe, GBB/Bru) and I'm sure there's more I can't think of quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Looks like Wetherspoons have abolished their Monday discounts, they survived up until just a few weeks ago but there's now no mention of them on the app or leaflets, and they no longer exist in-store. Always had a feeling these had been made illegal under the provisions of the MUP law which banned promotions lasting three days or less, but they'd flown under the radar for a long time, sorry to see them go. Feckin' nanny state, etc!

I wonder will they still be able to do the "manager's special" discounts they have occasionally, maybe by stating that it's for three days and just 'happening' to be out of stock on days two and three? Or the little booklets of vouchers you used to occasionally pick up in Spoons'?

Prices are still great in fairness, but a fair few pints are now approaching €5 which used to be miles out of the Spoons price range. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Planning application submitted in Galway.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/weatherspoons-lodges-plans-for-city-bar-and-restaurant-2/

Permission for development which will consist of a change of use of the former Carbon Nightclub to provide for a licenced premise and restaurant. The development will consist of demolition and refurbishment works at ground floor level including the front elevation at Eglinton Street. and extension to first floor level to include a roof terrace, customer toilets and staff facilities. The works include internal modifications to provide for public house and restaurant uses; the modifications to existing beer garden area at ground floor level; the provision of a roof terrace/outdoor beer garden at first floor level; all associated landscaping, boundary treatments and all other ancillary site development works necessary to facilitate the development on site

• Advertisement

One of the best DJ sets I attended in my life was in that place *sobs*

Advertisement