Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Porterhouse would also have easy access to cask thanks to their London pubs

Are Irish spoons doing the whole no EU products thing ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, they make a big thing of having Guinness and Jameson; and they've a rake of other EU drinks.

I remember he made a big thing about it in the UK but not sure if it's still a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya I remember having a couple of cask ales in Salt House, I'd say a good 8 years ago at least. Not for me, feel like it was no longer there last time I went in, maybe 3 years ago.

Cask always reminds me of a Billy Connolly sketch where he says run a mile if anyone tells you that you "must try the local thing" he reckons there is a good reason why the local thing stayed local.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in the Camden St venue yesterday. It is a really good good job, some amount of work has gone into that restoration. The chapel inside it is pretty unique and the main bar has a large atrium that lets in a lot of light from the beer garden below it.

They're definitely still having some teething problems with staff, we were sitting near enough to where the food comes out from the kitchen and could over hear a lot of confusion on orders, table numbers, etc. I suppose that will iron itself out in time but it shows that their training must have been lacking. Our own food took about 25 minutes to arrive, lucky we weren't in a rush but it was at lunch time when many people would be to get back to work.

Their in house magazine says that they are opening the next two pubs on December 14th. One is called The South Strand which is the old Herbstreet venue at Hannover Quay in Grand Canal Dock. It will have a ground floor and basement, cost of development is 4 million. The other is the Waterford venue which will be named An Geata Arundel, it is inside an old bank and ladies clothes shop, development cost of 3.8 million. The magazine didnt mention anything of the Galway venue so presumably its still a fair bit away, probably sometime in 2022.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

And I see BRÚ has done a brown ale for this year's Autumn festival. It's a while since any Irish breweries have featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isn't it the old Ely HQ premises rather than Herbstreet? It's a large place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, it's the place beside herbstreet. It's a large venue alright, it's been closed for quite a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its the full unit that Ely used there - so what was more recently HQ plus Nutbutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Big fan of the south strand, well laid out, reasonable prices, staff seem to have copped on early, gonna be my go to spot if we have a decent summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Wetherspoons Camden street - you must wear a mask inside.

Bouncers demand it. Is this legal?

Yes. There are specific reasons for which a business may not refuse service. Mask wearing isn't one of them. Dress codes are legal.

Isnt it still the case you have to wear a mask entering but can then take it off when seated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

No that requirement was lifted. Mask wearing currently required in retail, public transport and schools. Due to be reviewed end of Feb.

ah right thanks, I didnt know they dropped it for pubs and restaurants. Hopefully it gets dropped for everywhere at the end of Feb. I always thought it was pointless in supermarkets when the medical experts said you have to talk to someone for 15 minutes for the virus to be transmitted, Im in and out asap and talking to no-one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

They can demand that you wear yellow socks and a pink scarf for entry if they wish - once they apply the same rules to everyone.

This sh1te of asking if an establishment or retailer or other PRIVATE business has a legal right to have conditions of entry has got so boring.

I saw a parent get on his high horse over a mask requirement in a sports arena last summer claiming that it was illegal to request that (outdoors). Most people just laughed at his stupidity. But it meant his kids did not play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I think what beernut means is that pubs can make there own decisions regarding clothing. One example would be some places require you to wear a collared shirt for instance. There are certain things you cant refuse people entry such as race, religion, gay, gender etc but mask wearing as part of a dress code would not come under those laws.

• Advertisement

so you’re saying they’ve no legal basis to refuse you for not wearing a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They dont need a specific legal basis unless it breaches some other right with a legal basis.

Like dress code. Or table service only. Or no drinks on stairs or dance floor. It is their call. They are not enforcing a government rule but a 'house' rule within their own prerogative.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ok so you can refuse service for pretty much any reason unless that reason falls under a specifically protected category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's completely legal for a venue to enforce a dress code. If a mask is part of that dress code then that's their legal entitlement.

It's a private business and as I said earlier unless they break certain rules regarding discrimination It's no different to asking people to wear certain clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

That advice on the 15 minutes got old very very quick in the pandemic. I'm not sure it was ever correct but certainly as new variants emerged, it was fairly obsolete. But sure how and ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's a pub down my way. Where a woman had dinner with her family ate drank left and then phone the pub back later telling them they had to take down all related covid and health signage and the hand washers.

What sort of world and mentality do folks like this inhabit. She was probably angry and seething enough to give out to the youngwan who takes the bookings on the phone. Morons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was talking to a friend who has a business (Not a pub) and they are still regularly receiving emails from anti vaccine people about various measures the business still has in place for customers. A bit of amateur lawyering, a few questions, a few complaints but thankfully no outright threats. I think it's a given that all customer-facing workers have had to deal with these guys being awkward face to face as well. Wouldn't fancy it.

I drove past that Wetherspoons on Camden Street the other night, and what struck me is that the lights are mega bright inside - is that a Wetherspoons policy?

On the name - Keavan's Port - I gather this relates to Irish name of Camden St (Sraid Port Caoimhin?). Where did they get the anglicisation, is Keavan a name used anywhere else in relation to the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I saw something written on the wall about it when I was there last year, from their own website:

"The pub takes its name from the history of the local area, where Camden Street Upper and Camden Street Lower form part of an ancient highway into the city of Dublin.

The two streets were previously known as St Kevin’s Port.

In a series of old maps and records, the name is listed as Keavans Port (1673), St Kevan’s Port (1714), Keavan’s Port (1728), St Kevan’s Port (1756) and then St Kevin’s Port (1778) – renamed after the first Earl of Camden.

The name Keavan’s Port/St Kevin’s Port was derived from the church of St Kevin, in nearby Camden Row, said to have been founded by a follower of the sixth-century hermit.

St Kevin also features in the poem ‘St Kevin and the Blackbird’ (1996) by the Nobel prize-winner Seamus Heaney, in which he describes how the Irish saint held out a ‘turned-up palm’ for a blackbird to nest.

Until the 1940s, the property had been the convent of the Little Sisters of the Assumption, established in the 1890s.

The sisters nursed the ‘sick poor’ in their own homes, and their former chapel has been preserved and forms part of the new pub and hotel."

The lighting is not so much Wetherspoon policy as normal for Britain. I'm convinced that when posters on this thread say JDWs have no "atmosphere", they mean they're bright and have no piped music. It induces an uncanny-valley feeling of weirdness if you're not used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Or maybe it's because we turn on bright lights at closing time when we want people to f off out of the place!

"Closing time.. ugly lights... everybody's inspected" (Prince, U Got The Look)

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement