Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

What’s the vibe like in the Weatherspoons place on Abbey st? I think I get the bus outside from time to time, was going to make some time to pop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Doesn't fit in with the usual Spoons ROI vibe of ex-churches or banks 🤣

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Only one way to find out! Stick on the body armour and give it a go 😁

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Lot's of students during the week, but not messy, perfectly fine for a couple after work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Blanchardstown was also a nightclub prior; just not one with any history of international acts playing in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Their long mooted plans for Galway are finally with planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Real ale festival on this week, surely something worth trying at €2.25 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thats cheaper than a lot of cans and bottles in the supermarket.

Read somewhere Spoons are closing about 20 or 30 pubs in the UK, recession must be biting

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They open and close pubs all the time. I don't think the recently reported ones are really indicative of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In general, how are Spoons pubs doing in Ireland?

Does anybody know?

Is there any news on further pubs? Aston Quay, Galway?

• Advertisement

• I've been in 5 now in total.

Blackrock (now closed), Dun Laoghaire, Camden Street, Abbey Street and the Google Dock one. The Dun Laoghaire one is a goldmine, any time i'v been near or in it, it's been fairly full, no matter what time of day or night. I've only visited the others in the evening time, as in post-work pints and food type of thing. They were all jammers every time, but so is pretty much every pub at half 5 on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The proposed Galway one was in the news recently in regards to planners waiting to hear from Spoons on certain issues raised re noise etc.

Speaking for abbey st and Spencer's dock, tick along to busy mon-thurs, very lucky to get a seat Friday/Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

€6.40 for a pint of Heineken in town nowadays, and that's going to go up soon again. €6.30 in many for a Carlsberg.

Meanwhile Cork City has much more reasonable prices, and if in doubt head to wetherspoons for a pint of Coors/Carlsberg for €3.70 or Beamish for €3.40.

Breweries may be putting up their prices but bar prices in Galway city are total extortion. Bring wetherspoons I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Blut2

€8 for a double Hendricks Gin & Tonic in the Camden Street Spoons last week, vs €19 or so in any of the pubs nearby. €3.10 a pint vs €6.70 in the pubs nearby. Its no wonder its incredibly popular considering its actually a nice place inside too.

bUt teH atMOsPhErE...

• Mostly said by people who a)have never set foot in one and b) sound like they'd be zero craic in the pub anyway. I'll make my own atmosphere when the pints are half price compared to the 'good' boozers. Banging on about the bar staff is another, like they're incapable of pulling a pint.

I still remember paying for 6 pints in the Blackrock one when it first opened. Handed over a 20 and got a fiver back in change. For 6 pints!

Thought there was a mistake and said it to the barman but no, Shipyard was on sale for €2.50 a pint. That would probably cost €35 in most pubs in 2023.

They at times had some pints for €1.95 on special offer in Blackrock too. I remember getting change from a tenner for 5 pints one night in there a few years ago, it blew my mind.

The complaints about bar staff are particularly pointless now that they have the great app. I love being able to order a new drink as I'm coming to the end of a drink, its so efficient and easy - no going up to the bar to order obviously, but no even having to find a lounge staff member walking around, order from, pay etc. The app even shows the expected wait time for your drink now too so you can time it perfectly. I'd love if more pubs had an app to order on.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Cheapest pint in the Silver Penny is worthingtons at €3.10 a pint can't argue with that.

• Think that's currently €2.70 in the Old Borough in Swords.

They sell Punk IPA in the "South Strand" branch near Google dock for about €4.50 a pint. In the Brewdog bar 30 seconds away it's something like €7.25 a pint. Madness.

• Advertisement

When did the Blackrock one close, hadnt heard about it but not that surprising as it was always a strange location.

Up for sale in late 2021 and was snapped up by Noel Anderson and his rugby international co-investors. Now re-opened as The Blackrock.

I suspect it was an experiment by JDW to see if the Irish market would work for them. The location wasn't particularly strange but it's smaller than you'd expect for them: I reckon that's why they gave it up.

Any ideas what price it went for or was that disclosed? And how many pubs is Anderson up to now, is that his third including Lenon & Duke and the Bridge or are there more? I think he was involved with the nightclub in the Plaza hotel in Tallaght at one stage but not sure if thats still the case or what happened there.

I always thought Blackrock was strange for Spoons in that they were setting up in one of the wealthest suburbs with a value offering, it just didnt seem a good fit for that market. And given they set up during the recession its not like they didnt have a lot of choice on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Visited the Waterford Spoons recently when down that way and it was, dare I say it, a decent pub, spread out over two floors and appeared to be a lot of effort put into the detail. Was early evening so hard to say what a busy night atmosphere would be like. Much better than many of their offerings across the water though. Ale was €2:45 with Beamish at €3:30 which is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

Was suprise to hear Wetherspoon is taking over my old haunt on Aston Quay wonder when it will start working on it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They were still looking for short term tenants for the upstairs recently so I'd expect it's at least a year out

They sold it for "in excess of €2.5mn". Which is a tidy profit considering they'd only bought it for €1.5mn 8 years beforehand.

The Blackrock location was doing fine until the Dun Laoghaire one opened down the road I believe. There was enough demand for one Spoons experience, but two within a 25 minute walk of each other out in the suburbs was probably an oversaturated market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭beachhead

25 minutes to DL Spoons- must have been near closing time.Blackrock had a lunchtime/early evening trade then nothing-like most of the village

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Does the Grand Canal Dock spoons have a decent line up? Have to mix with macro drinkers on Friday, but most of the craft beers are showing out of stock on the app (and seems to be a smaller list of cask than the likes of Abbey Street anyway). Hopefully more lines added for the weekend!?

• Advertisement

Usual spoons fayre, the macros, a couple of brewdogs, porterhouse renegade (although that's been out of stock lately) couple of PH cans in the fridge.

They seem let themselves run low on lots of things and then fully restock, so who knows what'll be back on by Friday.

Advertisement