Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suspect is 'A white male in his 40s with an Irish accent'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

Found that strange especially with information that does be giving out about other suspects been very vague when there not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Nothing strange about it. If a suspect is Irish they’ll be described. If a suspect is foreign, there will be no information given. It’s not a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Funny how they went very quiet about the nationality of the suspect in the recent high profile case in Athlone.

Didn't fit in the with the "change the culture" and bash all Irishmen narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

'A white male in his 40s with an Irish accent', if you were to listen to some sectors of society, he should be arrested for that alone.

Also, it would surely be a lot more useful to use this detailed description when talking about non-Irish, non-white suspects as they are a minority and therefore the description would be more likely to identify a culprit.

It is almost like there are vested interests who want to hide reality if it is counter their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s blatant racism. Pure and simple! White + Irish = report. Foreign born / different skin colour = no report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

The suspect is male, we are also looking for information on a bicycle which is black with distinctive green forks, here's a photo of it and we have a still of the bicycle on CCTV making its way around the town.

Any more details on the suspect?

Well we are currently of the belief that he had two legs and at least two arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought the only specific they gave out was a description of his mode of transport

"at this time". Expect the description released will change at about the time the guy is charged

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Who cares, hope they find him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Seriously doubt you'll ever see a description for the perpetrator of a serious crime in Ireland as "a black man, in his 40's, with a Nigerian accent", for example, not in public anyway. White Irish man, Irish accent ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Maybe they were getting ahead of the online racists? Not that there's any here about... 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's hilarious really. A high profile case the other week released a description of a man of just his tracksuit colour!

Man with dark skin with eastern european accent would filter out a lot more man than "White man in his 40s with irish accent."

Im more concerned they catch him,rather than description given

A 17 year old girl attacked,while out for a walk,garda helicoptor scrambled in the search for him....must been a serious enough attack,and hopefully victim is ok,

last thing country needs is another young woman killed going about her day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

More interested in taking offence than any concern for the victims.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Completely agree with the sentiment, but you've missed the point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Might be more useful for the victims if a full description of their attackers was given regardless of their nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Justice is blind, if it’s socially acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Two outraged threads on the topic of race/nationality in one day.

Great way to start the week for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭animalinside

What a farce!

The line by Chief Wiggum "The suspect is driving a car and he is not wearing a hat, I repeat, the suspect is not wearing a hat." springs to mind. 🙄

I mean white male with an Irish accent is just taking the piss, all I can think of is that someone was maybe forced to describe him. What a kick in the shins for the poor girl and her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I picked up in this also when I seen the article earlier. Before I knew anything of this thread.

I'm delighted so many others picked up on it too.

To those who say that posters are missing the point, i.e. a young girl was assaulted, yes you're correct and hopefully they catch him.

However posters have to be permitted to call out this clearly biased carry on as well and sharply criticise it. Because it shouldn't be allowed to go unnoticed

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Starfire20

hilarious. A suspect gets described as "male, white with an Irish accent" and the usual suspects take to social media to decry the collapse of Irish society, claim victim-hood and engage in whataboutery.

i guess this is whats meant by "male fragility"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Raichu

Jaysus any white Irish 40 or so year old is a suspect then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

A woman near where I live in Balbriggan was attacked in broad daylight by two African Irish guys, unprovoked attack, slashed her with a knife. The media were afraid to say they were of African decent. "Youths" was how they described them.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭animalinside

Ah well I'm as anti-sjw as they come but I am sure they may very well identify him as black male 40s with an African accent in that situation. Let's not start looking for stuff out of nothing, sjws give us more than enough fodder as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Less hysteria please.

Not sure what your problem is? You said it was careless and I agreed with you.

Not sure what you are getting at here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

RTE stopped identifying travellers when they are involved in crimes yet disclosing the ethnicity is OK here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Genuinely unsure if this is satire or not, I was wondering what murder in Kildare you were speaking about also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I was thinking that alright. If the victim believed the person had a Traveller accent would it be reported, I very much doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The problem here is that we are either going forward with the skin colour and rough regional description based on the voice heard for all suspects Gardaí require assistance for or we have none at all, there's no midlde ground allowed in a civilised country. A policy of casual racism race based reporting used on the suspects skin colour or origin can't determine whether we can only say skin colour and origin when it's an Irish white suspect we are looking for.

Advertisement