Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspect is 'A white male in his 40s with an Irish accent'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Mainly because they have some kind of agenda where the white Irishman is under attack and a victim of racism etc etc etc. I didn't think they were this bad that a teenage girl could be assaulted like this and they would overlook that grotesque crime in order to make some weird point about how they are victims but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭celt262

Yes it's terrible she got attacked and all women should be able to move around freely without fear.

Back to topic its unusual reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

There are no gender wars. It's all of us against the scumbag men. What harm can calling out men who make disgusting comments about women do? We're not just talking about the mass murderers, women get assaulted in other ways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Explained throughout the thread thoroughly, you ignore all that and go "why are you offended?". What's the point of debate if you're ignoring what's being said?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Let's be honest, if someone is attacked in this country, the attacker is most likely going to be white, Irish and male. With an Irish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

Unfortunately it is going to get worse and not better for all women in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If otherwise then why not describe them as otherwise to help identify the attackers?

Mate all I see are folks crying about racism but this is not racism.

edit; and also yea I bet it bas been, but at the same time I haven’t read all of the thread cos I don’t feel well (thanks covid) so I was just asking for a TL;dr. No need to be so offended. I see this is a trend among you.

The thread isn't about otherwise, though. It's about a presumably accurate description of the attacker. Age notwithstanding.

I don’t know what’s more extraordinary- the thread itself, or the fact that’s been allowed to run for so long in this forum. At least the Gardai have said they’re “confident” in finding the perpetrator so at least the thread closure is near at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'll start by saying that the attack that's being reported was heinous and I have no problem with an acurate description of the attacker including race, gender, height, weight, accent and approximate age.

Where this falls down is that once any descriptor indicates the person is anything other than a white Irish man, reporting of this type of information appears to become verboten. The practice of reporting descriptive information should be consistent, my preference would be to always report as much as is known.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭enricoh

Crime line done a reconstruction of an armed robbery in the local Centra/ petrol station a few years back. Showed CCTV of the 2 boys, height, build etc. They forgot to say one lad was shouting at the other in polish or russian to get the skids on behind the tills. A minor oversight!

Maybe don't comment if you can't make an effort to actually read the short thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Looks like another woman has been attacked in Cork but no description of the attacker ?? People came to her aid so its baffling no description being given.

Two 14 year old girls attacked in Sligo last week by two men. Images and videos of people, who were said to be involved, are being shared on social media but no description of the attackers ??

Another woman attacked in Sligo a few days later no description of the attacker ??

Maybe I could’ve been given a TL;DR which would’ve been helpful.

you however wasted your own time to reply with snark. thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm a while male in my 40s with an Irish accent. Hope noone suspects me. Unlikely though because I'll just blend in with all the other while males in their 40's around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

You're furious at all these women and girls being assaulted and raped right? More furious than the description of the male culprits not being up to your liking?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This forum is now nothing more than a viper’s nest of bigots, idiots, racists, homophobes and general extremist sad cases who rant and bellyache and offer no constructive debate. None.

Very high “noise to signal” ratio.

Is it any surprise that the more balanced, measured and informed posters who are able to think critically are very thin on the ground? 😏

Please quote the racist comments on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

As long as he’s locked up I don’t care if he’s described as a Martian- place has gone do lally- don’t remember any of this shite happening or at least reported 30 /4O years ago

always somewhere else bar Ireland

The thread is only 4 pages long. If you can't read it why bother to jump in with an ill informed knee jerk reaction?

Sadly the case. You have women being subjected to attacks and these guys are immediately on using these attacks to make some ridiculous points about how irish men are being subjected to racism. It's bizarre stuff, no empathy at all.

More snark, interesting that you seem to enjoy wasting your own time? You could just have easily explained why you do/don’t feel outraged by this as many do.

i have read most of it, just can’t really understand why everyone’s so outraged. Sure they could have any number of accents being white? British, Welsh, Scottish, French etc.

I dunno maybe covid melted me brain maybe I’m dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This thread seems like 'calculated hysteria' to me. And it only gives the PC brigade more ammunition.

There have been articles about Nigerian fraud scams in PUP (2021) -

Rape within the Traveller community and mention of 'Traveller gangs' (2019) Wexford and potential danger for the suspects -

Given that Ireland's ethnicity percentage is changing - articles such as the one the OP has highlighted will become a matter of course.

CSO 2016 -

As per the CSO article above -

"The population of the State grew at 0.8 per cent per annum while those with Irish ethnicity increased by just 0.2 per cent. The fastest growing ethnic group since 2011 was “Other incl. mixed background”, with an annualised growth of 14.7 per cent. “Any other White background” rose by 1.6 per cent annually while Africans decreased 0.3 per cent per annum.

The largest group in 2016 was “White Irish” with 3,854,226 (82.2%) usual residents. This was followed by “Any other White background” (9.5%), non-Chinese Asian (1.7%) and “Other incl. mixed background” (1.5%).

Irish Travellers (30,987) made up 0.7 per cent of the usually resident population while Chinese (19,447) made up just 0.4 per cent."

--

If certain posters are getting angsty now - I dread to think how annoyed they will get in a few decades time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It is genuinely peculiar and puzzling how so many posters consider or claim that this discussion is racist hysteria. And it is revealing how they can't quote examples of such.

It's almost as if they haven't even read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If it is me you are referring to I did not use the phrase 'racial hysteria'. I said 'calculated hysteria'. I am sure the OP knows exactly what I mean. As do other posters. It is very subtle and insidious in my opinion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The thread is about a notable and novel change in how the Gaurds and media refer to a suspect of a crime and as such it is a relevant current affairs topic.

Have you ever heard them refer to a suspect as a white male with an Irish accent before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

I've been going back and forth on this one. The Gardai aren't anti white male; I just can't see it.

The only reason I think they came out with the " white male with the Irish accent " was perhaps, if it was believed that a second serious incident against a young woman was perpetrated by a non national in quick succession, then a certain minority of the usual wasters would think it a green light to beat the daylights out of innocent non whites.

The media, on the other hand, definitely have a anti white male agenda at the moment. For the life of me I can't see how it became ok to attribute guilt to an entire gender or race, for the sins of a very few. I just don't understand it when some commentators refer to "men" having to take more responsibility. What men are they talking about? Men from Leitrim? Men with moustaches ? Men in wheelchairs? Men in hospital because they have been assaulted? Men who are the victims of domestic abuse (30% approx. of all cases). You can just throw out "men", be specific for gods sake.

Anyone see the nice lady who avoided jail today, community service instead, for beating up a homeless man. He checked himself out of hospital after the assault and then committed suicide. She had 21 previous convictions. Im pretty sure it didnt make the TV news. If the roles were reversed there would be outrage, and rightly so.

Advertisement