Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspect is 'A white male in his 40s with an Irish accent'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah myself and the better half both commented that the description seems a bit off considering other notable occasions when there was

damn diddly squat all

of a description given about suspects

strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Right. I'm going to do the right thing here and treat your post as it NOW appears. However, originally what displayed in your post was a paragraph accusing me of no care for the victims , but rather only interested in point scoring. So I reported that post immediately.

If it transpires that what appeared on my computer was mystically typed by boards or worse my own laptop, or was some sort of amalgam or your polite post and another (interestingly none of the other posts contains the now missing words), then I will advise mods that I have made a serious mistake and apologise to you here in the thread.

I think its better if we proceed in that more polite vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm not getting into tit for tat with you here.

Someone last week started a thread on Ashling and actually mis spelt her name. Now you got mixed up with where actually happened. It does come across as careless and your apology read a bit oh well, by putting the County in Caps, as if it does not matter. Not sure if thats what was meant, but it certainly reads that way.

Its alright Joe, but you will see that I have responded further in the thread. When Anewme's post originally displayed on my laptop, it contained a lot more than it does now. So I reported it. But now the post no longer contains the offensive comments, and there is no 'edited' highlighted on it. So I'm assuming its a technical glitch of some sort . I'm going to see if I can retrieve my Report and add that to it.

• Advertisement

As fear of discrimination on any grounds whatsoever becomes complete the description given will be “attacked by human being”… except maybe if it were eg, a dog attack and the animals rights brigade come on board (and I’m an animal lover) it will be “attacked by non-flora species”.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If there was no description of the attacker then there would be immediate assumptions of who they are on here.

Before any of the bedwetters start, no not everyone, but some.

Whenever someone from a different country is charged, there is very much usually a description of where they are from if they aren't from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Suspect is hatless. Repeat: hatless.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

Did they assume the perpetrators gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I admire you sticking to the playbook even when the double standards are so glaringly obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

No one is charged here though because the person has not been caught. Just like the attacker wasn't caught the other week yet all we got was a grey tracksuit description! And that was a murder case ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So can we take it now that the guards will be issuing these descriptions from now on (when they have details to give)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not really, youths is a catch-all phrase for delinquents. As for the question itself, the description is odd but it may be aiming to head off the leap to the furriner did it, as with that Romanian man they mistakenly picked up for the Tullamore murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Well that narrows it down to 32 counties. 'dey didn't say which accent. I think it could be my neighbour, same age profile, born and raised in Belgium and speaks fluent Dublinese without a hint of a regional Flemish accent (not that I can tell the difference between regional Flemish and Dutch accents.)

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I remember a teenager went missing around the Blachardstown area a few years ago. Age, height, clothes, runners, were given. They were afraid to say that the kid was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't they usually attach photos to such descriptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm going to out on a limb and say the reason they dont give out details that would significantly reduce the number of suspects is precisely because some internet sleuths would believe that it just has to be the Nigerian guy they saw earlier in a tracksuit, so its better to beat the crap out of him now rather than inform the police and let them do their job

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Surprised they'll even assume the culprits gender at this stage.

World has lost it's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Coulter’s Law

[kohl-terz law] 

Published November 11, 2018

WHAT DOES COULTER'S LAW MEAN?

Named after a 2015 tweet from provocative conservative political commentator, Ann Coulter, Coulter’s Law states that the longer it takes the news media to identify a mass shooter in the United States, the less likely it is to be a white male.

We really need to get the Yanks to make us an American state, as we're all but one now.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

It's obvious the white man no longer has the whip hand in Ireland! I'm moving to Rhodesia before it's too late!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Remember one like that too, just said what he was wearing and not much else.

They found him dead in the canal a few days later, picture and name got put up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

To be fair: "White male in his 40s with an Irish accent" doesn't exactly narrow it down much. Especially as people are usually very bad at guessing one's age to within 10 years.

He could be in his 50s. Or 30s.....just to be unkind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

There really are some thickos on this site. It’s not some big brain conspiracy to keep the Irish man down by the PC police. The people looking for this attacker need to be as definitively specific about the characteristics of the person they’re looking for, without leaving any opportunity for misinterpretation.

The reason why they can only say that the person had an Irish accent is because only an Irish person can definitively say that.

For example, let’s imagine that the culprit was from Ghana. Most Irish people can’t tell the difference between African accents, but “with an African accent” is too vague so they have to omit it lest people start hassling Nigerians, someone from the Ivory Coast, Cape Verde, and so on.

Similarly if the suspect was from Latvia. Most Irish people couldn’t tell a Latvian accent apart from other Eastern European accents (in fact I would wager the vast majority of people would assume he was Polish) but “he had an Eastern European accent” is too vague and too loosely defined to be of any use. So they can’t use that either.

Alternatively someone born and raised in Ireland can tell an Irish accent apart from any other country’s accent without any difficulty or ambiguity. It’s an accent everyone from Ireland would be attuned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a critical difference is the fact that the victim in this latest case is alive (thankfully) and therefore able to give some details like skin colour and accent unlike the previous case where all they had (I'm assuming) was a piece of the culprits clothing that was torn off in the struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They had 2 eye witnesses who gave the description of the killer in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The actual killer or the fella that was arrested and released because it wasn't him?

Advertisement