Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Mail - Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 28-01-2022 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

The Daily Mail (love or loathe it) is often the first newspaper to give the nitty gritty details a major news story.

A strange virus?

A massive bombing?

A freak weather event?

A massive corruption scandal?

The Daily Mail will normally have the scoop while all other news sources are skirting around the edges.

But what do you think of the Daily Mail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well, you did ask......

The Man From The Daily Mail

Now Ireland's a very funny place, sir

It's a strange and a troubled land

And the Irish are a very funny race, sir

Every girl's in the Cumann na mBan

Every doggie wears a tri-coloured ribbon

Tied firmly to its tail

And it wouldn't be surprising 

If there'd be another rising

Said the man from the Daily Mail 

Every bird upon my word

Is singing treble - I'm a rebel

Every hen it's said is laying hand grenades

Over there sir, I declare Sir

And every cock in the farmyard stock

Crows in triumph for the Gael

Now the other day I travelled down to Clare, sir

I spied in an old boreen

A bunch of busy gooses there, sir

Dressed in orange, white and green

They marched to the German goose step

As they whistled Grann na bheal

and I'm shakin' in me shoes

As I'm sending out the news

Every bird upon my word

And every cock in the farmyard

Stock crows in triumph for the Gael

Now the whole place is seething with sedition

It's Sinn Fein through and through

All the peelers they are joining local units

And the password's Sinn Fein too

Every doggie wears a tri-coloured ribbon

Tied firmly to its tail

Every bird upon my word

And every cock in the farmyard stock

Crows in triumph for the Gael

I don’t read it, per se, but often times I come across their articles when researching about a story, articles that contain information not found elsewhere.

I wonder does this speak to the self-censorship style of media we are getting these days or do the daily mail just have better investigators.

They come across as sensational but who isn’t these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's a paper with an anti Irish bias which launcher an Irish version of it's paper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭AyeGer

They aren't afraid of detail as you say OP but they are also likely to bend the truth to sensationalize a story. They push particular agendas like Brexit and are very anti EU. Also the comment section is a disgrace. I still visit about once a day to see what they are covering.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Garbage can be recycled, used as fertilizer, waste to energy. Sweden imports garbage to keep it's incinerators working.

Daily Mail isn't as much of a benefit to humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

There was an RTE documentary about media years ago and one of things I remember was an interviewee saying the Mail Group are owned by the same people who own the other big media conglomerates.

He was strongly implying that the Irish Daily Mail is just a sop to dissatisfied people from the same establishment which promotes the things that these Mail readers hate.

The Daily Mail in particular breaks stories which other newspapers won't touch - usually un-PC stories - which makes it both interesting and the target of exaggerated denunciations ('its the worst garbage in the world!' etc.)

Overall I don't trust it but then I don't really trust other media either.

It's Femail section of celeb photos and it's terrible contradictory and confusing relationship 'advice' aimed at women is perhaps the worst thing about it.

For those who don't know, newspapers published by the Mail Group all have editorial independence so the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday and the Irish Daily Mail can, and sometimes do, take different editorial stances on the same issues. Though they are broadly in alignment most of the time since they are all the same 'brand'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

To me it's a bit of a rag but it is very good for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I like it for a perusal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s always been a quite anti Irish publication.

it’s a little more diplomatic in the language it uses but still…

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

it's totally biased but it does report on a lot of stories that are nowhere to be found anywhere else so i check it out every day to see what;s going on in the world...i often learn more details about irish stories from it than from any of the irish media...but yes you always have to be conscious of its bias

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Adscorner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A bit low brow. I prefer the Telegraph. When was the last time anyone read an 'anti Irish' article in the Mail. I don't think they're preoccupied with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They played a major role in delivering Brexit with a couple of decades of anti immigrant headlines to stir up the outraged middle classes, while the owners lived in Monaco for tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

In touch with public opinion so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

They are a spiteful, sexist, racist pile of clickbait.

But yea, lots of people "only read it for the sports".

It reports on breaking stories early particularly if contoversial. The mail will be publishing names and photos of terrorist attackers while the other papers are reporting "a man" and "mental health difficulties"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

It's the most widely bought newspaper in the UK...

I have an electronic subscription to it. I dont read it, but I love to support independent journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Creating public opinion would be more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My Dad gets it for the sudoku. As other have said the sport's coverage is very good, especially the monday football pullout, but I generally find a few other things to read in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A publication dedicated to manipulating the feeble-minded and ignorant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the state of british journalism is weird. ireland is *far* from perfect; but the notion of a newspaper explicitly taking sides in the way many newspapers in england do, when it comes to elections (which would automatically disqualify them as being considered in any way impartial) is something we're not really used to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The Daily Mail does plenty of good journalism and breaks many important scandals like the Beacon hospital vaccination scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It is the same here. Check out the Irish Times View https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/irish-times-view-on-election-2020-transformative-and-divisive-1.4167419?

They take a view on elections, they strongly back left politicians. In elections they often don't take a strong view because aside from wanting social democracy, they are not sure if they want SF or a left wing of FG /FF/Labour.

When she was editor, Geraldine Kennedy put out an editorial saying that the Irish Times is an "activist" liberal newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Dog whistling rag

Nay 👎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

Why anyone would want to buy a British 'newspaper' is baffling

Advertisement