Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Daily Mail - Yay or Nay?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Our own media does the exact same thing in the other direction. I'd bet that nearly every Irish journalist is a EU devotee, and you'll see little to no genuine criticism of the union from most media outlets here. You see a similar mindset here, if someone says "we should leave the EU", they'll be attacked as mad men just for the thought, and that kind of mindset exists in our media too.

I doubt you'd see many articles at the time of joining the EU, stating the EU's whole plan, which was written in the 1950s, a plan for eventual full federalization, because the Irish may not have been so quick accept it all, few countries would have in honesty.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i have nothing against freedom of speech, but the daily mail certainly doesn't constitute that.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's not what he sees but it is certainly what the daily mail does see, only skin color.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What implications for wider society did you draw from the Daily Mail article?

"A pensioner was decapitated and his head dumped in a wheelie bin apparently after a disagreement over noise.

Patrick McGee, 63, was ambushed in his front garden as he returned home from a meeting.

Senior police sources last night confirmed that they were investigating theories that Mr McGee had been involved in a fracas over anti-social levels of noise at a nearby house in Crumpsall, Manchester."

Because when other newspapers reported on it, some time later is true, after tue court case, they actually had the full story of what happened.

""A PARANOID schizophrenic who stabbed then decapitated his next-door neighbour has been detained under the Mental Health Act.

Paranoid schizophrenic Eric Fernandez Cruz, 32, who was described as a deeply religious biology graduate, 'heard voices in his head' telling him to kill Patrick McGee, Manchester crown court was told.

Sentencing him to an indefinite hospital order, Judge Michael Henshell said: “This is a tragic case..

..Tragically, Eric Cruz suffered from a mental illness, apparently for some time. He heard voices. He had fixed and firm beliefs that voices were commanding him to do various things.

“He believed he had a mission to protect children and believed it was necessary for him to take the life of Patrick McGee to protect his own child.""

Do you think you'd draw the same conclusions from both articles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very much ‘here’ for the family and friends who hadn’t been notified of the death to find the gory details in click bait articles specifically designed to inflame anti immigration hysteria. And it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I have a third view, why is it anyone else's business how somebody spends their personal money? Why is that newsworthy? Is envy and jealously a legitimate endeavour now?

People seem to care a lot what rich people do or don’t do with their money.

a very interesting habit I’ve noticed is also to talk about how much better you’d spend it. “Oh I’d give so much to charity..”

would you fcuk. If you don’t give anything now you wouldn’t start when you’re loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Thats obviously wrong if they had that information prior to running the story. Direct quotes were provided by Foden to the Daily Mail re: the new house he bought for his Mum. . Was there any source that stated Tosin bought the house for his Mum prior to Steerling's comments after the story was printed. I couldn't find any.. Not everything is black and white , literally and figurately. Maybe the only information they had at the time is that he bought a new house.

Was the headline racist ? No... Bad journalism ? Yes.

But thats the thing , all journalism is crap. Bias determines what type of journalism people consume. If anybody thinks their paper is any better , its not.

Johnny Depp with all his wealth and power could win a lawsuit against the Press. But ordinary kid Nick Sandman sued left wing CNN and MSNBC for $500 and won. Most people who proport to hate the Daily Mail follow those news outlets.

Left Wing Independent ran one of the most egregious headlines ive ever seen.. That is Alex Jones level fake news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There's a lot of guesswork here. That people either love CNN, MSNBC, the guardian or they love the daily mail, fox news and the red tops, maybe the telegraph.

But its very simplicity thinking. As usual the people at the extremes voice their opinions most loudly but the majority never speak.

For example, I like the Irish times, the examiner, NYT, WSJ, BBC news, channel 4 news, fox business, france24, CNBC, vice. Probably slightly left leaning but I'll watch or read anything really. I'd happily watch Fox business but I wouldn't melt my head watching Fox news and the exaggerated whines and groans of the pantomime they call opinion pieces or "debates". In all the newspapers you will find good journalists, who really are independent contributors, they could write for anyone. I'm not into stories that pull at my base emotions like the example of envy above. It's clearly either manipulative or striving for popularity. It's not the purpose of a journalist or a story to be popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Firblog

One example, perhaps shows dailymail being anti racist, publishing something no other newspaper would/did publish.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/11/10/16/31836238-8933179-In_February_1997_the_Daily_Mail_took_the_unprecedented_step_of_n-a-132_1605024792994.jpg

I remember the dailymail being very much to the fore on the Stephen Lawrence case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

The other papers reported on the court case the following July, six months later.

Does every news story require a six month gap until the full details are known?

There were people jumping the gun on the Savita, Aisling Murphy and George Floyd cases.

In the Murphy case there were calls for 'new legislation' from day one when little was known. I don't recall anyone saying this incident should be withheld from the headlines altogether.

Omission as a form of soft censorship is not satisfactory to many people hence they will go to the Daily Mail web site to see what's happening in the world.

You’ve had to go back 25 years to find a good example. Do you reckon that might be indicative of a problem in itself?

Who mentioned withholding information or six month gaps? Do you reckon that they might have the decency to let family and friends hear the bad news in an appropriate manner before they dump out their sensational click bait?

They’re at it again today, misinformation and plain lies to stir up hatred against vulnerable road users, and inflaming bullies.

What’s the problem with the Independent headline?

You are just waffling. The incident happened on Dec 15th. The story was reported in the DM on Dec 17th. Other media picked it up the following July.

Police would've informed family immediately, on Dec 15th.

Sorry, some people were asking for examples, I didn't realize there was a statute of limitations involved.

If you’ve ever been involved in informing relatives in such scenarios,24-48 hours is often nothing near enough time to share such devastating news in a sensitive way.

What is the great public benefit arising from publishing such gory details at such an early stage?

You've absolutely no idea if the family were surprised.

The police don't tell somebody their family member has been murdered until 3 or more days later? That sounds suss to me.

Is it any gorier than George Floyd being slowly choked to death? The point of reporting a story accurately is truthfulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

I wouldn't even use it to light the fire. It's an absolute shitrag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Women who owned 400K house murdered

Jail for man who owned 300k home

Every article must have a house price. Shows you are a decent sort and not renting scum

Also preaches about morals and the downfall of society while having the "sidebar of shame" of scantily clad Z list celebrities

And you've absolutely no idea if the family were surprised either, but 36 hours to share sensitive news like this across an extended family, news that you're not going to share by text message, may well not be sufficient.

You've failed to give any reason for the urgency of disclosure of the gory details

Mate we're just going around in circles.

The original point made was that the DM reports stories other newspapers don't.

If you think a piece of reportage needs justification to be 'disclosed' then that pretty much settles that.

Your objection about the family is only a hypothetical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sir Humphrey: The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices.

Hacker: Don't tell me about the Press — I know exactly who reads the papers! The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who own the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country; the Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read the Sun?

Woolley: Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You can find one...kind of example...from 1997...that says a lot tbh

Lots of other outlets reported that story. Somebody made a big fuss about how the DM were first to break the gory details, before the body was barely cold. This isn't a good thing.

• Advertisement

Probably the same reason the CCP give for censoring information about Tiananmen Square, anyone who wants to be reminded of that is clearly just trying to get their jollies off.

There is quite a lot of snobbery in this thread. But because it is directed against working class Brits it's OK it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Still one of the best and most relevant comedies ever made. I can't think of many programmes that have that kind of quick wit. (very open to suggestions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

1) I don't think anybody has mentioned "working class Brits" in this thread at all until you brought it up. Surely you're not being "Dog-Whistled"?

2) Even if they were, what is so bloody special about "working class Brits" that they should be above criticism where warranted?

Nobody is above criticism where warranted. But a general hostility applied to certain groups, based on their identities, just annoys me.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but where has anybody specifically attacked the British working class on this thread? There's been a general dislike towards the editorial stance of the Daily Mail. What's working class about that?

There was a quotation from a bitingly satiric English comedy series about the stereotypical readers of certain newspapers. What's working class about any of that?

Are you assuming that those who "don't care who runs the country as long as they've got bit tits" are all from the working class? Now who's being patronising and presumptuous?

I think I had quoted from a post that mentioned "rubbish people" and maybe I put 2 and 2 together and got 5 but with some other posts on Page 1 I just found there to be a thinly veiled hostility at the readers of the DM, majority of whom would likely be working/middle class. There is no specific post attacking British working class.

There is no identity group in the world--ethnic, racial, sectarian, social, gender or otherwise--that offers any guarantees to its members against being "rubbish people". Some of the rubbishiest people in the world are posh boys (and girls) from the most privileged backgrounds. Do I really need to give examples? From this country or others?

Corrupt Gonzaga boys. Bullingdon Club alumni. US Ivy Leaguers invading other countries. I could go on.

Few of those would admit to being working class. Or would be admitted to that identity group by its existing members.

My apologies, I didn't realise that there was a statute of limitations in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The Mail broke another important story that other papers ignored. The fact that the HSE was giving out vaccines via registration on email link, like what the Beacon Hospital did but far larger. So the HSE does not know occupation of 1 in 4 who got “frontline” vaccine. Actually I believe the Beacon hospital scandal was their story too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once again, breaking a story is not the same as publishing something other papers ignore.

Every story needs to be broken somewhere.

The news section of Nature is very good. The IT is probably better than average. Examiner used to be better than average. Havent checked in a while

To be fair, it has a huge number of journalists. It pays well journalists well and they diverse opinions.

The 1 in 4 frontline vaccines not being accounted for was ignored by other papers. Also, breaking a story is important. It can take a lot of leg work. It separates real papers from the likes of Joe.ie or Live.ie etc It doesn't just always land on their desks and buying media from journalists that do investigative journalism is virtuous. I don't know why the HSE thing was ignored but it seems when wrong doing occurs, far fewer people cares if it is done by a public servant. Just look at the Grace story, where a women was being abused for 20 years until the 2009 in a foster home. The abuse was covered up until 2009. If such happened in a church would be resignations and files sent to the DPP on the people who covered it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Honestly, with all the newswire services. Getting news sometimes can feel like one giant echo chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the website is good in that you can read up on the latest news from America without hitting a paywall. It has political news sports news its not constantly asking for subscriptions or your email adress. Of course its got some awful celeb story's basically someone reads all the famous celebs Instagrams and uploads the photos and sort of makes a story out of it. eg celeb x has a new boyfriend etc eg one example they almost daily put up images of some ex pussycat doll blonde eg she's wearing a nice dress as she goes to work at heart fm

What a shocker sexy woman looks nice in a new dress or coat that she poses for the paparazzi, every time she goes to work, stop the press, s Wtf?

Big news the sky is blue its dark at midnight water is wet etc etc

of course it's a right wing paper so they tend to write in a certain way

if some celeb is having an affair a baby getting divorced it ll be in the mail or some celeb is in trouble with drugs or finances taxs etc

I think the Irish times is a middle class urban slightly leftish Liberal news paper

In the UK most papers are either Conservative supporters or back the Labour Party no need to look at 5 gossip websites its all on the mail UK website no one said all newspapers has to impartial about politics

Alot of modern journalism seems to be scan all the celebs social media make a story of of some trivial photo or comment the celeb write no need to talk to anyone or go somewhere just read the latest social media posts by singers actors random celebs

There's plenty of newspapers nyt, gaurdian UK, independent Co UK, Irish Times, that do in depth reporting on politics, culture, current affairs, if you buy a tabloid, the sun, the , star don't expect in depth reporting on international news, politics, the environment not to mention the 100s of quality free online news sources look on newser drudge etc google news

Advertisement