Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG electric models

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Dealer said February was the first boat load coming rather than having a two month lead time. There is a boat load coming butG will only give them cars that are pre sold so there won't be any on a lot to buy for a long time.

35 is the base but whatever random dealer extra they add. I paid 36.5k in white. 15k for mine, 500 deposit then 21k by Feb. I might swap to black. Been rethinking the white. But that will be a bump for metallic paint. And the red is a bit more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Incredible value, not what I'd be looking for but I think they look really well

My only reservation is the boot size. There are two big lumps over the wheel arch. Remains to be seen if the buggy will fit into it.

Nice video showing the intelligent speed control. MG will read the speed signs and stop you going over the limit. Also shows the traffic jam assist.

https://youtu.be/cTr5jUvO0IM

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Have a ZS and the boot is great. We tested a Niro and ZS was far bigger. Can be set higher or lower. Fits our double buggy day to day just thrown in (Baby Jogger City Select), and when I take the buggy apart we can fit all we need in the boot for a weekend at the folks house for a 2 year old and 3 month old.

One tip... ISO fix are quite central so 2 seats on ISO fix = no room for center passenger. We replaced one seat with belt insead and gave an extra few inchs to allow for a (slim!) center passenger.

• Advertisement

That is good to know. I was trying to eyeball it on the day. Even measured it with my arm :) But it is hard to judge without the buggy on hand.

My delivery date got pushed back, looks like it will be the summer before I get it now. Chip shortage strikes again, I was half expecting it but was also hoping they would have a small boatload on the way to get them on the street.

New delivery dates for anyone considering the MG ZS EV. Like most EV the chip shortage is catching them. Cars are built and ready to ship they just need the chips.

Batch 1: Previously due Feb. Now May / June.

Batch 2: Previously April now August - September.

Batch 3: previously October now January 2023.

One thing to note about MG is the system defaults to 3-4 months away if the car has not been put on a boat. So while Batch 1 says May now that could be earlier or later.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

while good value obviously , the cheapest Hyundai ioniq 5 is only circa 4 k more expensive , superior car in every way

It's not, to get an Ioniq 5 with the same spec as the MG you are up at the 72kw premium or premium plus range which is in the €49-54k bracket. That's a big jump.

• Advertisement

I must have heard wrong so , lot of people quick to dismiss the MG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

OH had MG ordered and supposed to be delivered next month, got call today saying delivery put back to July, ended up cancelling; may be more choice and value next year if shortages are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Patser

Pity we don't seem to be getting the Marvel R here, seems to be no plans for a right hand drive model.

But there is talk of upgraded model next year in rhd

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/mg/2023-mg-marvel-r/

Prices won't go down ,in fact any new orders in the past week mean a 1250 euro increase over two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya around 17 grand in the difference easily. There's not a motor out there right now that matches the value frankly. None.

you would probably expect a 10k differential though , MG do not have a long standing pedigree like the koreans do , not slating it , I like the look of it but its not in the same league as the ioniq 5 or EV 6

Nonsense tbh. The Koreans only being really 'accepted' widely here in just over the lady decade prior to that they were seen as cheap as you like. And you are talking about 50 grand and 70 grand vehicles respectively. Its an utterly ridiculous comparison Tbf. I don't know why anyone would even make it.... The MG parent has ample history in vehicles. And the 7 year warranty is there for all to see.

There simply isn't better value for money and equipment at this price that beats it. And nothing seems to be coming soon either. Which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭podge3

I mentioned this before (either here or another MG thread) but I was offered an abysmal trade-in on my Leaf recently. I was very interested in an ZS EV but was offered about €5k less than most other dealers. I eventually bought an e-Niro and it's a fantastic car.

Admittedly, I only tried my local MG dealer and he said because MGs are so cheap, there is no real discounts available for trade-ins. Could've all BS but a few others had similar experiences.

I said I liked the MG , it's terrific value

Kia and Hyundai are undoubtedly more upmarket though

• Advertisement

Yeah fair enough but I'm not sure why that matters that occurs anywhere tbh. Not here to defend MG. There is some bad dealers tbh my sister had a crap experience with one.

Personally for me if I wanted a car and there's savings to be had I'd sell my own privately but that's just me I wouldn't expect everyone to be in the mind of thinking.

Obviously there is some personal taste in what people like or consider upmarket. But I don't feel like either are very upmarket brands. If you sit in an e-Niro or a Kona they are pretty basic with a lot of hard plastics, cloth seats, normal roof. The MG has nice soft plastics, full leather seats and the glass roof is much nicer. That's not to say any of them are bad cars it is just taste and based on looks. If you compare the technology the MG is as upmarket as some in the 50-100K cars.

Now the Ioniq 5 is fab inside, but it should be, it's the bones of €50,000. I'd expect someone to sit in the back and rub my shoulders for that kind of cash. The Kia 6 is also looking great but again savage money.

I think people look at the MG badge and assume the MG is a new unknown car maker on the market.

But the MG badge is owned and the car is made, by SIAC. They're a massive car manufacturer. The seventh largest in the world, and the largest in China. They have been the largest in China for the last 15 years. They made 5.6 million cars last year. They have also been making cars since the 50s so it's not some newcomer pumping out cheap tat.

They also make cars for Skoda, VW, Audi and General Motors.

They are priced really tightly so there is no wiggle room at either end. Usually, the Dealer has a 10% buffer at both ends so they can knock a grand off the top or add it to the bottom to appear to be giving you a better deal on the trade in without hitting their profit margin. But the MG has no such room at that price.

If you think about it, the other garage gave you 5k more on the trade in but you spent 6K more on the e-niro. (Niro is about the same spec level as the entry-level MG which would be €38,400 v €31,995).

So on the surface they gave you more for the leaf but they just took it off the other end so you came off a small bit worse.

Unlikely to get anything cheaper next year, if you walk into order an MG today your delivery date is 12 months from now. And there is a price hike coming in a few weeks. Even the second hand market is seeing prices surge due to shortages. But who knows what will happen next year.

I'd always sell privately and buy straight from dealer

I don't think we disagree on much ,I've sat in the ZS and it doesn't feel or look low rent to me

The hyundai and kia are a more upmarket brand however, MG being huge in China is irrelevant, Tata are massive in India but that doesn't translate to western customers

My point is MG have to be significantly cheaper or they wouldn't sell at all ,the gap is disproportionate however

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, the brand needs a bit of strengthening for sure, or the price needs to stay as keen as it is now.

While it's reassuring the MG has pedigree from China, and a 7 year warranty; where the rubber hits the road for a warranty is the dealer network. And for us, it was far from guaranteed that the dealer network would at least stay the same for the next 7 years. MG have a small market share, and a small number of dealers. That's quite a precipitous set up.

Where as Kia/Hyundai have strong market presence, it would be highly unlikely for them to reduce dealer network significantly over the warranty period.

Can't fully remember the MG when we test drove, but we drove the eNiro the same day and didn't feel the eNiro was a step down on spec/interior fit out. Apart from rear seat heating. But we got child seats, so that's useless. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭podge3

IIRC, the Excite was €2k less and the Exclusive was €1k more than the e-Niro. Metallic paint also cost an additional €700 on the MG. IMHO, the e-Niro sits above the Excite model as it has "leather" and heated seats.

On paper, the Excite should have been about €7k cheaper than the e-Niro. If it was, I would almost definitely have bought one. Even @ €4k, I think it would have been a good proposition.

The reality for me was that from the only MG dealer I tried, the Excite was about €1k less and the Exclusive about €2k more when metallic paint was included. The differential needed to be an awful lost more for me.

The reality is that most people consider MG an unknown budget brand. I'm fully aware of the history of MG since Nanjing Automotive purchased the company in 2006 but residual values are based on what people are willing to pay for a used car.

Post edited by podge3 on

Like Dacia duster being an unknown budget brand and retaining all of their residuals...

Id argue more people know MG in Ireland than Davis when they entered the market here only a few years ago. Tbh.

• Advertisement

The lads are chatting about the MG ZS EV and do a range test. 100% down to a risky 1% and on a mix of roads. Speed limit on the Motorway, around back roads, even up a mountain!

Manages to do 395km. Prob could have squeezed out the 400km, which is crazy good for a cold winter test.

I reckon if you are not hitting a motorway you would easily be seeing well over 400. Might even break the WLTP 440km in the summer.

Most of my driving is on 80km roads.

Advertisement